Metric vs STANDARD

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Willandrew
Spotter

Re: Metric vs STANDARD

Post by Willandrew »

To be fair, a system based on 12 is superior to a system based on 10 because it can be divided more ways (12, 6, 4, 3, 2 VS 10, 5, 2) seems wonky and difficult to handle when looking at it, but makes things more flexible in practice
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Metric vs Decimal

Post by HooCairs »

JimboCrow wrote:I don't think the number of countries that use it is as important as the number of customers / players. If the numbers show it, EW should consider this. Like BearJ points out, how hard could it (im)possibly be?
Not hard at all. Even we can check this. American customers only make 20% of the access to theHunter.com and thus the customer base. ;)

Source: scroll down to Traffic by countries:
https://www.similarweb.com/website/theh ... m#overview

We could argue that website access alone is not the only factor. We cannot know how much is spent per country, and how many use Steam instead of the website, but at least these stats should give us a perspective that the game is a lot less American than Americans want to believe. No offense, I have lots of friends and had a wonderful 4 years of my life there. :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Just laughed really hard at this video. All right I'll shut up now. :D

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Toledo
Spotter

Post by Toledo »

:D

L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

ouch, uncle sam might have to take a knee here.

but seriously though speaking from someone who commonly uses both, US has the easy job of learning metric to get the whole thing water tight. if youre used to nothing but metric and need to learn the other, imperial really is that stupid when you look at it. Its like 50 people from different places and different jobs threw their rullers on the table and thats imperial standard. Infact i wouldnt be suprised if its origins were in a dozen different trades
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Which system is easiest to learn, has the widest use, and is the simplest and most logical are all good arguments in a measurement system superiority debate, but the OP's question was couldn't in-game measurements be made available in both systems? My experience tells me that with 20% of their customer base being fluent in primarily the American Standard system, EW might find an even bigger market there to be tapped (or at least might once have....) As mentioned, the range finder binos already have this capability, and, hasn't the game been translated into dozens of different 'regional' languages? And yet 20%, 1 out of every 5 players, is at an instant disadvantage in certain aspects of gameplay, and hindered by an unfamiliar thought process at least somewhat. That seems like an opportunity for growth to me, although not likely at this late stage of the game's lifespan, of which I am entirely sure the OP is aware.

In Canada we have two official languages, we use both measuring systems, we welcome all nations into our multicultural society, and we try very hard to just get along and learn from one another. The cross pollination that results can be daunting, even aggravating, but also inspiring. The world is rapidly shrinking and we have decided to embrace the coming changes with open arms. It might be foresight, or it may be suicide, but either way, it is how we have chosen to proceed. No nation is an island anymore. May God bless us one and all.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

JimboCrow wrote:In Canada we have two official languages, we use both measuring systems, we welcome all nations into our multicultural society, and we try very hard to just get along and learn from one another. The cross pollination that results can be daunting, even aggravating, but also inspiring. The world is rapidly shrinking and we have decided to embrace the coming changes with open arms. It might be foresight, or it may be suicide, but either way, it is how we have chosen to proceed. No nation is an island anymore. May God bless us one and all.
I wonder if we can get a discount on two walls? :lol:
Personal Bests...
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

Fletchette wrote:
JimboCrow wrote:In Canada we have two official languages, we use both measuring systems, we welcome all nations into our multicultural society, and we try very hard to just get along and learn from one another. The cross pollination that results can be daunting, even aggravating, but also inspiring. The world is rapidly shrinking and we have decided to embrace the coming changes with open arms. It might be foresight, or it may be suicide, but either way, it is how we have chosen to proceed. No nation is an island anymore. May God bless us one and all.
I wonder if we can get a discount on two walls? :lol:
You made me laugh out loud John. I might have known you'd be lurking around here somewhere. Nice one! :lol: :lol:
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

JimboCrow wrote:As mentioned, the range finder binos already have this capability
Yet the English measurement is in feet. I don't know anyone that uses feet in shooting sports. (except pistol shooting). Everything else uses yards.
They could have asked any of those 1000s of English players & got that one right.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”