Show us what weapons are ethical in-game

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Re: Show us what weapons are ethical in-game

Post by HooCairs »

pastuh wrote:I was thinking about something like this: http://thehunter.lt/test/index.html
(Not finished, maybe one day..)

In-game similar design could solve problems.
Now really annoying to go and search for information :)
Very nicely done. You are showing all animals per reserve. I think what the OP is asking is all animals per weapon.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

How about something like this, if I load up Whitehart Island, I would like to see what ammo is permitted for the map I'v loaded in, if I'm in Whitehart I don't need to know that the .300 is allowed for Moose. Only show the species permitted in the map im in when i hover mouse over ammo type.

https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

:arrow: Andhii ... So if i understand correctly , i would have to put the ammo in my backpack and then scroll over it to know what species it is ethical for ?

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Andhii
Scout

Post by Andhii »

DYEUZ wrote::arrow: Andhii ... So if i understand correctly , i would have to put the ammo in my backpack and then scroll over it to know what species it is ethical for ?
If it's possible to make it work like that then ofcourse it should work also when you are under Ammo selecting what to bring. I don't know how you fill your backpack but I click on the grey weapon slot, select a weapon I want to bring and then ammo and scope, which takes less than 5 seconds. I'm experienced enough to remember what is permitted for what but hovering mouse over ammo and seeing what you can use it for in the map you are playing would be super easy to use for new players and certainly hella lot faster than consulting the wiki. Just my 2 cents tho :D
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

When i am not sure about a if bullet or gun is ethical i do this: minimize the hunter and go window, the first screen is the launcher, so in the launcher i go to store and check the weapon and the permitted list, then back to game.

That said i still think more info like permitted species in the weapons menu would help, and also mix this with the long asked idea of a notification when you harvest an non-typical or rare animal in the harvest screen.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Lenkos
Scout

Post by Lenkos »

DYEUZ wrote:My opinions only here and nothing personal at all ...

I think it is asking a lot . You want the EW staff to work , put time on this luxury . What revenu will that bring them ? How much time do you think they'll take to do this ? Aren't other things more important to put time on ? I think so .

Also , about remembering the weapons and their species , i will say to those people , players, that can't sometimes remember , do more homework and study a bit harder . It's really not that hard to learn . I , for one , have had a paper copy of those weapons and species for all the time i've been playing .When in doubt , i look it up !

About the optics . Going on Wiki aint a big waste of time really , aint a big thing . IRL , most people go and look up at stuff they want to buy on the Web, in different stores , comparing and getting an idea . Checking out Wiki aint a big thing imo and is pretty complete and has many infos.

Like i said , nothing personal , just my opinion on the suggested ideas .
The point is accessibility.
I generally know what caliber is acceptable or ethical for which animal (sometimes I forget if a .223 can be used on Turkey though, so I have to double check). I agree looking at the Wiki isn't hard however the more information you can present a player in-game, the better. Having your players rely on external materials to effectively play isn't ideal, especially when what we're talking about here is literally just additional text in the UI. There are games that I've played which do rely on external materials 100%, such as EVE Online and Warframe. But these games also have extremely complex game mechanics that cannot be accurately described via in-game menus. All we're discussing here is an animal / weapon list.

Also consider it from inexperienced players perspectives, not just as an experienced player.
Making the new player experience better contributes to higher player retention, which in turn leads to additional profits.
So yeah, it would generate money for very little work.
Last edited by Lenkos on October 31st, 2018, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lenkos
Scout

Post by Lenkos »

Andhii wrote:How about something like this, if I load up Whitehart Island, I would like to see what ammo is permitted for the map I'v loaded in, if I'm in Whitehart I don't need to know that the .300 is allowed for Moose. Only show the species permitted in the map im in when i hover mouse over ammo type.

That is exactly the type of thing I would want.
There's a few different ways to do it - but that's in essence what would be amazing to see.
Lenkos
Scout

Post by Lenkos »

BearJohnson wrote:I JUST found these pages:

Sight pictures:
http://www.nikolem.com/Sights/

Permitted weapons:
http://www.nikolem.com/thehunter/weapons/

Awesome stuff that should be on the main sight or in game for sure!
Great resources, thanks!
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

less is more. dont over complicate it if it happens. you ideally want the least amount of steps to show the info you want to access.

ingame id have a seperate box you can type in species your hunting. then weapons ethical for it pops up after typing that in which can hunt them. then from that list shown of weapons you just select/click the weapons you own which will then goto your slots.this would actually make it even easier than currently is to get a ideal load out.for the said species you hunting.you could also do this even more advanced by doing reserve ethical species and such.
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

guys... guys...

What they are asking for is simply a few lines of code.
I know it is far from the same - but back in the day (when games came on floppy disc or 3.5 - I know... I am OLD AS poopoo) I used to hack the games and add a few lines here or a few lines there... I guess I customized games - for me.

ALL the info is readily available - so are all the graphics.

I am guessing that making a "pop-up" is not that hard.

Just beta test the hell outta it so it doesn't accidentally frag the whole game... like all new additions should be.
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”