Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
BearJohnson
Hunter

Re: Show us what weapons are ethical in-game

Post by BearJohnson »

poopoo?

REALLY?

Man oh man
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

BearJohnson wrote:What they are asking for is simply a few lines of code.
I know it is far from the same - but back in the day (when games came on floppy disc or 3.5 - I know... I am OLD AS poopoo) I used to hack the games and add a few lines here or a few lines there... I guess I customized games - for me.

ALL the info is readily available - so are all the graphics.

I am guessing that making a "pop-up" is not that hard.

Just beta test the hell outta it so it doesn't accidentally frag the whole game... like all new additions should be.
It's not always the number of lines of code involved that determine the complexity of a change. For this request, getting the UI just right so it appears obvious to everyone, would be the challenge. Then there's the fact that this is really just a quality of life feature. It would generate no return for Expansive Worlds. Granted, it would make a lot of people happy and it would slightly improve the user experience, but it couldn't be sold, so Expansive Worlds need to write off the cost of development.

I know it would probably only take a developer an afternoon to do it, but think of all the odd tasks that are lying around that fall into the same category. If there were spare afternoons to allocate, I would hope they would consider addressing some bugs. My guess is that the remaining developers on Classic are already working full time on whatever exists on the roadmap.

That's not to say I don't agree with the suggestion. It's a great idea, but it's never as easy as just adding a few lines of code. I worked on the inventory stuff a while back and it's horrible. It was implemented back in the early days in such an odd way which makes working on it a very unpleasant task.

I remember seeing your picture somewhere on the forum, and you're definitely older than me. How come you went straight to games on 3.5" floppy? You skipped 5.25" floppies! Some of the best games were on those bad boys. Games that came with bible-sized manuals and convoluted copyright protection systems. Ah the good old days when things were simple (and monochrome).
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

caledonianblues wrote:How come you went straight to games on 3.5" floppy? You skipped 5.25" floppies! Some of the best games were on those bad boys.
And you obvioulsy skipped Datassette! Or even better: manually copy-typing the code of a simple game from a computer magazine. Pages and pages of code, it took days to finish it - and the games were rather meh, even by the standards back then.
caledonianblues wrote:Games that came with bible-sized manuals and convoluted copyright protection systems.
Monkey Island's Dial-A-Pirate - priceless!
Spoiler:
Image Image Image
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
caledonianblues wrote:How come you went straight to games on 3.5" floppy? You skipped 5.25" floppies! Some of the best games were on those bad boys.
And you obvioulsy skipped Datassette! Or even better: manually copy-typing the code of a simple game from a computer magazine. Pages and pages of code, it took days to finish it - and the games were rather meh, even by the standards back then.
caledonianblues wrote:Games that came with bible-sized manuals and convoluted copyright protection systems.
Monkey Island's Dial-A-Pirate - priceless!
Spoiler:
Right around 1980, a CLONED Apple II Plus with TWO external 5.25 floppies, Mystery House..murder mystery...all stick figures, green screen. Spent hours figuring it out.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Tanngnjostr wrote:And you obvioulsy skipped Datassette! Or even better: manually copy-typing the code of a simple game from a computer magazine. Pages and pages of code, it took days to finish it - and the games were rather meh, even by the standards back then.
Clearly I'm just not an old fart like you :)
Tanngnjostr wrote:Monkey Island's Dial-A-Pirate - priceless!
Yeah I had loads of those discs that you had to align in a specific way. Some had hieroglyphic-like symbols if I recall correctly. I also remember Leisure Suit Larry having questions where you needed to type the answers, to prove you were over 18. Didn't take long to figure them out and get all the correct answers.
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

caledonianblues wrote: How come you went straight to games on 3.5" floppy? You skipped 5.25" floppies! Some of the best games were on those bad boys. Games that came with bible-sized manuals and convoluted copyright protection systems. Ah the good old days when things were simple (and monochrome).
Bro... I started on the Comodore 64!
Tape Deck and all!
Spent three days copying code out of a book just so I could play Space Invaders on my TV.
and I said floppy and 3.5 - Remember 3.5 was a hard disc - not a floppy.
LOL

Does anyone remember Leather Goddesses of Phobos?

LOL!
Trigger time = FUN!

BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

caledonianblues wrote:Yeah I had loads of those discs that you had to align in a specific way. Some had hieroglyphic-like symbols if I recall correctly. I also remember Leisure Suit Larry having questions where you needed to type the answers, to prove you were over 18. Didn't take long to figure them out and get all the correct answers.
LLL oh heck yeah!

I remember pirating those discs from Bulletin Boards...
one hickup...
whole weeks downloads wrecked.
Trigger time = FUN!

XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

BearJohnson wrote:Bro... I started on the Comodore 64!
Tape Deck and all!
Spent three days copying code out of a book just so I could play Space Invaders on my TV.
and I said floppy and 3.5 - Remember 3.5 was a hard disc - not a floppy.
LOL

Does anyone remember Leather Goddesses of Phobos?

LOL!

Commodore VIC 20 here.

Remember you would copy all those lines of code and then spend another 2 or 3 days trying to find and fix 1 typo that kept the game from working. :lol:

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

BearJohnson wrote:and I said floppy and 3.5 - Remember 3.5 was a hard disc - not a floppy.
3.5" was also a floppy and succeeded the 5.25" floppy. Had a capacity 1.44 MB. That being said, many hard drives are 3.5" too.
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

XxStrong1xX wrote:
BearJohnson wrote:Bro... I started on the Comodore 64!
Commodore VIC 20 here.
Sinclair ZX81! Got it in 1984 when I was six years old, wrote my first simple lines of code on it. I was an IT child prodigy, but later I messed up big time and studied clinical psychology. Bummer! :P
Image Image Image

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”