What would actually improve tH:C (my 2019 hopeless wishlist)

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
maros.kuzar
Outfitter

What would actually improve tH:C (my 2019 hopeless wishlist)

Post by maros.kuzar »

Hi guys!

We know how things are... And I am the same. I have "love and hate" relationship with theHunter Classic, and I really think that there are things that would improve this relationship (at least for me) if they were done right (or at least my way? :D ) So here we are, this is my "thoughts and suggestions" for 2019 tH:C game.

Animals and models
Behaviour I still dont get it... Why are animals just wandering around pointlessly? Sure, I have seen them feeding or drinking FEW times, but shouldnt they do it more often? Like, more more often? And what drives me crazy is that they can sleep but not rest? If devs actually made some research they would know that finding animal sleeping (lets talk about deer now) is close to impossible. But in our game, I find more deer sleeping than feeding, drinking,... If you actually look at the data, deer tend to sleep only about hour max, and rest of teh day is pretty much just resting, feeding, ... And we already have resting animation in game, it that infamous "hit in the spine" animation.
Also when noticing player, animals should not spook immediately!
[b Calling[/b] Animals call too often and too little. Calling should be tied to the time of the day for all species specified to at least match reality a bit. There multiple wrong sounds in game, some animals or genders dont make call like in game at all IRL, ... But THE MOST silly thing is the frequency. You can pretty much guess when the next call will be, because in game it is like "1 call every 5 in-game-minutes". And then, when you wait expected time and await next call from your trophy stag, a pheasant-jerk comes into the area and makes a call so any other animal is blocked from calling... Because that makes sense at all.
Shooting at animal I know that hit registering lag can be server issue, or could be tied to other things devs cant improve really. But here it is: It sucks at longer distances. Let me explain with example from my recent hunt: I saw bear at 250 m (perfectly broadside), took my .300 with 22x scope, aimed at head (because he was moving), took a shot, saw a hit decal at chest area so I was sure it was a lung shot. But after harvesting the bear several hundreds of meters later, he was actually shot in the intestines, and I almost missed them too. Shot was way too far back. I can
make sense of "aiming at head and hitting chest", that was my intention, but why I hit him actually in the butt, yet hit decal was on the spot I intended to shoot?
Other thing is those spine hits that make me angry... When you hit idle deer in the spine, he slowly, dalicately lays down and watches you. If the deer is moving, we must first stop, and then make laying down animation. It takes like 5 seconds or something. And some animals (like canines) seem to not hawe spine hit animation at all. They just stop, stand in default position for few moments and then ragdoll fall to the ground. And if you hit animal in the further back section of the spine, it just doesnt care at all... And I am not saying to make violent animations, but current state is just silly and takes all the intense feelings from something that is really intense IRL.
Scale TBH I am fed up of pheasants big as ostriches, tents big as lodges, etc. Yes, I am exagerating a bit, but why is players character model so small compared to anything else and why it was not fixed after years of posts pointing that out?
Ptarmigans Fairly hated animals right now... I mean, Hemmeldal ptarmigans are really good, I like their AI. But I cant say the same about VdB and TgT ptarmigans. Their AI is awful, they keep circling above the area forever for some reason, spooking everything... Its no joy hunting them, and hunting in their area.
Permitted lists This is just ridiculous. Why we can kill roe deer with so big and powerful guns, yet red fox just with small calibers? It almost seems like fox is a trophy animal and roe deer is just varmint. And no, I am not satisfied with AMA answer about foxes that stated "well, red fox is not always considered varmint". That is just poor excuse, quite silly actually. IMHO foxes should be allowed to hunt with guns up to .300, period. Dunno about roe deer, but if I am not mistaked, IRL it is advised to not hunt them with anything with more than 2500 J muzzle energy.

Multiplayer
Since 99% of people who join servers just ignore rules set in description, or read them but break them anyways...
Server rules Ever after 2013 I ask myself and on these forumes... Why we don't already have them? I want to setup nice bowhunting server but every time I do so all guests start using firearms. Why cant we restrict some items/actions... ???
Tents Why, oh why we cant password lock our tents, or lock them and if someone wants to spawn on them, we hava to approve it? After all, I bought my tents, and they are 5 dollars each!!! Is it really too much to ask?

Items
Arrows For some reason many weapons have different types of ammo for different needs (animals) yet bows have only one type of arrow for everything. Will we eever live to see flu-flu arrows with small game or bird arrowheads added to the game? Again, devs did not do their homework and did not even bother to do little research.
Targets and "shooting treestand" It would be quite nice to have 3D placeable targets similar to what we have on archery addiction range. It would also by nice to have treestand for practising shots from high position. This coulbe be solved by placing trees in the area of AA range, and allowing to have unlimited ammo on such placed treestand.
Binoculars and weapons Why we have weapons sway when aiming but not when looking through binos? I know, it would be downgrade for binos but nice realistic touch. Also, why we have full 2D weapons sway when staying still but only 1D sway when moving? The result is that when I need to make shot from standing position, I press Q to autowalk just to get rid of y-axis sway and deal only with x-axis sway.

Stealth
This is something that makes me mad everytime. In what world is crawling stealthier than crouching and slow- walking? Who on Earth IRL thinks "I need to go closer to that animal, better start crawling" while hunting? We could also make a survey amongst hunters asking how many times they needed to lay down while hunting. How many times they needed to crawl towards the animal? This is ridiculous!!! Right now in game while bowhunting, you either hit the dirt or spook the animal, crouching is not optional.
How it should be like IMO?
System similar to Hidden and Dangerous 2 (or sniper elite?). You have at least 3 stances, and 3 to 4 speeds for every stance. Crouching and slow- walking should be the best, while crawling would have visual reduction with additional noise! What would even make it better to use foliage and grass as cover (we know it was in Primal and dear EW, you promised us something years ago and did not deliver it; regarding Primal game). We could also use shawods as additional visual reduction. If players stood motionless for a period of time, he should gain some visual reduction too. Camo clothing should provide camo not only in areas they were made for... Orange blaze camo slothing should provide some visual reduction, ... list goes on.

This is all for now, I would be happy to read your comments regarding to my points in the list. Also, I know that no dev will ever read this, nor even consider it... Thanks ;-
Andhii
Scout

Re: What would actually improve tH:C (my 2019 hopeless wishlist)

Post by Andhii »

Good points but I recon you forgot the biggest issue in multiplayer, the fact that players can join only certain other players games. Since last Christmas, I haven't been able to connect to my friends game and some others, and if something is killing the game for me it's this. I'v heard some people get around this issue by buying VPN services which is borderline madness that you have to result in such a thing when the people responsible to this issue cannot fix it. Or maybe then could but don't want to?

Also about movement, while crawling isn't that realistic, I think it makes sense game balance wise, as when you crawl you trade movement speed for stealth and when you run and never get tired, you trade stealth for movement speed.
https://www.thehunter.com/#profile/andhii
"Never argue with an idiot...they drag you to their level and beat you with experience."
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Hey Maros, long time no see...

A lot of great suggestions here. While I agree with a lot of them, I also think that most issues are coded so "deep" into the old engine that it'll be hard to fix them. But of course not all of them and we can always hope, right? We even got extended render range in the end, so a lot is possible. ;)
maros.kuzar wrote:Behaviour I still dont get it... Why are animals just wandering around pointlessly?
Big +1 for improved animal behavior. I'd also love to see more animal-animal interaction even though the wolf chasing mechanism shows us that we should be careful what we wish for - it seems to be hard to balance.
maros.kuzar wrote:Animals call too often and too little. Calling should be tied to the time of the day for all species specified to at least match reality a bit.
I assume that a realistic calling frequency would make the game a bit boring and offer not enough action to the casual player to make it enjoyable. For me I'd say that I find about 60% of my animals after they have called first, maybe about 30% are sightings and 10% are tracks that I want to follow because they are promising (heavy or groups). Those numbers are just estimations of course and depend on the reserve. Naturally I have more sightings in open areas and rely more on calls in dense areas. So I'd be cautious to change calling frequency too much, but I'd agree to have certain species call more at certain times of the day and make the interval between calls less predictable.
maros.kuzar wrote:Shooting at animal
100% agree - hit boxes are a pain. Not sure if they'd be able to fix it with this engine though.
maros.kuzar wrote:Server rules
Yes please!
maros.kuzar wrote:Binoculars and weapons Why we have weapons sway when aiming but not when looking through binos?
The binos are much lighter of course, so they shouldn't have much sway. You could add a little bit of it, but I'm not really convinced that would add much to realism.
maros.kuzar wrote:You have at least 3 stances, and 3 to 4 speeds for every stance.
Good idea, has been suggested a few time already, but I still like it. I think it wouldn't even have to be so complicated, just add a slow variant of walking upright and of crouch walking.
maros.kuzar wrote:What would even make it better to use foliage and grass as cover (we know it was in Primal and dear EW, you promised us something years ago and did not deliver it; regarding Primal game)
Grass and foliage as cover would be nice, but I'm not even sure if Primal has it. :? I know that CotW does, but of course that's a completely different engine.
Image Image Image
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

maros.kuzar wrote:I saw bear at 250 m (perfectly broadside), took my .300 with 22x scope, aimed at head (because he was moving), took a shot, saw a hit decal at chest area so I was sure it was a lung shot. But after harvesting the bear several hundreds of meters later, he was actually shot in the intestines,
It seems like most of the animals are most bags of guts. I have made shots at dear facing me. Shot them square in the chest but hit nothing but intestines. How an arrow can transit an animal & hit nothing but intestines is ridiculous. The hit boxes in this game for me is one of the most frustrating things. To your specific issue, I have noticed that the lead necessary to hit moving animals isnt remotely realistic. Consequently I dont shoot at anything moving faster than a walk.
maros.kuzar wrote:
Arrows For some reason many weapons have different types of ammo for different needs (animals) yet bows have only one type of arrow for everything. Will we eever live to see flu-flu arrows with small game or bird arrowheads added to the game? Again, devs did not do their homework and did not even bother to do little research.
In theory you can shoot any arrow out of any bow IRL. The spine will likely be wrong but it is possible albeit with diminished accuracy & the potential for damaging a limb. I like the idea of flu flu arrows in game. I always carry a couple with me when I hunt IRL but the purpose of a flu flu is to make the arrow easily recoverable. We cant recover arrows in Classic so it becomes a moot point.

Mills
Outfitter

Post by Mills »

The one thing I would like to see in the very near future is an increase in carrying capacity. SO many new animals in recent years and hard to equip properly to ethically hunt all species on any given map. Especially if you're trying to meet certain requirements for comps/missions. Needs at least a 5 point increase in my opinion.

Mills.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Mills wrote:The one thing I would like to see in the very near future is an increase in carrying capacity. SO many new animals in recent years and hard to equip properly to ethically hunt all species on any given map. Especially if you're trying to meet certain requirements for comps/missions. Needs at least a 5 point increase in my opinion.

Mills.

Absolutely!!! This is needed so much in my opinion.

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Mills wrote:The one thing I would like to see in the very near future is an increase in carrying capacity. SO many new animals in recent years and hard to equip properly to ethically hunt all species on any given map. Especially if you're trying to meet certain requirements for comps/missions. Needs at least a 5 point increase in my opinion.

Mills.
EW is missing out on a huge opportunity for sales. Make the backpack serve a purpose other than be cosmetic. More backpacks will be sold if they would increase your capacity between either 3-5 units depending on maintaining game balance. (I'm not a fan of being allowed to carry everything you own. Although you can do this with a tent but that comes with a cost). With a dog wearing a dog pack and an actual working backpack, your total capacity could be either 28-30 units.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Good post . I'll say this. You are asking WAY to much realism for this game . The gameplay never was and never will be realistic .

In another way , you are kind of contradicting yourself with realism . You want to have more capacity in the backpack . i think we have lots already , realistically speaking . Who in real life , when WT hunting , goes with , xbow, rifle , callers , TS , ammo , etc !!??
The most i had back couple years back with buddies , was : rifle, ammo, knife kit, rope, caller, thermos of coffee ( or other warming beverage ;) ) , sandwiches, first aid kit, compas, binocs ... See how it's damn different !!?? Talking , comparing , a one day hunt here.
The backpack we bring in this game is way too much imo , for realism .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

Pittie
Hunter

Post by Pittie »

I have only one wish: Team Competitions/Missions.
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Complete and total revamp of spotting and tracking skills.
Spoiler:

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”