What would actually improve tH:C (my 2019 hopeless wishlist)

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Re: What would actually improve tH:C (my 2019 hopeless wishlist)

Post by TheSheWolf »

Re: animal sizes--they drive me crazy.

Foxes, coyotes and wolves in particular. Wolf tails need to be knocked down to about half-size, too; a wolf's tail hangs straight, and only to its hocks, not in a weird curve to the ground.

Foxes and coyotes should not be larger than coonhounds.

Wolves should not be so huge either.

And aside from the -model,- they should not have the weights that they have. 80kg for a wolf?? 80 POUNDS is a lot. Nature lesson time: wolves come in a variety of subspecies that start at about 30lbs and can weigh up to 120-130lbs, or even a little more. 150+ is insanely rare and the absolute RECORD is 175lbs. Now, obviously we have one subspecies in theHunter. The original Yellowstone wolf was a smaller subspecies, but what lives there now is a reintroduced wolf: Canis lupus occidentalis, aka Canadian Timber Wolf or Northern Timber Wolf, among other names. They average 90lbs, with outliers from ~85-110lbs. That, at MAXIMUM, is 49kg. WHY the hell are the wolves we shoot so damn large? Did anyone actually check how big wolves get before introducing them as a species?? It should -really- be corrected for, and the models shrunk down quite a bit. By comparison, Bluetick Coonhounds are 45lbs (for very small females) to 80lbs (for big males). Meaning, a wolf would be anywhere from a bit less than double the size of a female, to about the same weight as a male (though considerably taller) dog.

THIS should not be a thing:

The things are twice the size of my character, who might way 130-150lbs.

As a sidenote, I've worked with wolves firsthand including a 140lb male. As a wolf raised as a pet, then handed off to a sanctuary, he grew heavier than most--both from neutering, and captive feeding (he had a bit of a belly...). He looked HUGE, yes, but that's a -tame-fed- wolf of a huge subspecies. To think that wild wolves commonly run around that are 40lbs heavier than that is crazy. I get that we're meant to find trophy animals, but their default model is just ridiculous.

40lb coyotes should not be twice the size of dogs:

and let's not even talk about foxes (5-30lbs)...

/rant.

Re: animal behavior... I posted this some time back. I really wish there was more traffic to this particular subforum: https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=88512 Implementation of realistic AI can be compartmentalized into sub-behaviors prioritized by fluctuating lists. Read to see what I mean, but it would bring so, so much more to the game. I play to hunt animals in a realistic manner. Why they still wander blindly is beyond me. This is one of my absolute "most-wanted."

And as mentioned too--tracking. Why the hell do animals make so much noise? How come my magical GPS system knows that this call is from that same animal I was tracking? Calls should be so much more seldom for deer. Elk/red deer I can understand--in the rut they WILL yell right back and come quite literally running, but whitetail? A whitetail doesn't call back and walk straight to you, it circles in silence. And if startled they run off a bit and look back--sometimes even when shot. I really wish there was more realistic and varied behavior here, and better calls. On top of that, the models of most deer species direly need updating. These squat-bodied, ewe-necked deer are just weird to look at but it's the best on the market atm. If another game popped up with more realistic behavior & models, I think it would take off pretty powerfully. (I don't like COTW models either. Most aren't realistic to the animals either; they just have a higher fur-count...)
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Excellent post. I agree. The animal models are often rather disproportional. There's a scale setting which I believe for some species is dynamically altered at death so they can fit nicely in a dog's mouth. But perhaps the default scale option could be reviewed for some species, such as coyotes and wolves.
TheSheWolf wrote:He looked HUGE, yes, but that's a -tame-fed- wolf of a huge subspecies.
Is this him? :lol:
BearJohnson
Hunter

Post by BearJohnson »

2nd day bug fixes.

No one buys a ONE day tag for out of state/country hunts.

Camping is just as much part of the adventure, that pre-dawn cup of coffee.

I know it is just a game...

The game mechanics of multi-player vs single player in competitions:

Multi-player = more eyes to scour the map and find "the big'uns"

Single player = Pausing the game (definitely the biggest perk imho)

BOTH would get a boost from 2nd day, 3rd day, etc hunt...

Either fix the bugs OR start anew with critters like it is a new hunt.

I am rambling.
I may be a noob... but I still have fun!
Trigger time = FUN!

TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

caledonianblues wrote:Excellent post. I agree. The animal models are often rather disproportional. There's a scale setting which I believe for some species is dynamically altered at death so they can fit nicely in a dog's mouth. But perhaps the default scale option could be reviewed for some species, such as coyotes and wolves.
TheSheWolf wrote:He looked HUGE, yes, but that's a -tame-fed- wolf of a huge subspecies.
Is this him? :lol:
Lmao! Okay he was fat, but not quite boulder-on-a-riverside-fat! :lol:
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

Coyotes used to be even bigger... :lol:

My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

You guys are looking at this all wrong,.. It's the player icon that needs to be scaled bigger....
The smaller the animals are scaled in the game the harder it is to even see them and even shoot them, take for example if the pheasant was so small it would be hard to hit flying away.
I think that is why even the smallest animals are scaled up to project in the game as bigger then they seem compared to the hunter icon,..
Which I don't see would be a problem scaling the icon,... unless it would be too much work as everything the hunter icon uses (weapons,.. etc) would have to be
scaled up to fit the Icon also and the camera view from the new height projected.
On second thought forget it,... just make it right the 1st time around with a new Classic Hunter 2 game............ :lol:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

IMO part of the problem is the character size as well. It seems to me the characters when compared to their rifles are about 155-160cm. That may be fine if you are actually that short but I am 195cm tall so everything seems larger than it should be to me.

maros.kuzar
Outfitter

Post by maros.kuzar »

Hello guys, thanks for the support ;-) and sorry for my late response, internet was kind of weird las week and we are expecting daughter any moment now, so forums are not priority right now.

Yes, I agree with all of you, with your comments and new issues. And Gus is right, it is player character that needs to be bigger, not animals smaller. Just stand next to a tent or a lodge, and you will see.

Also, a few (simple) fixes came up to my mind last night.
1.) Compass bearings. I am tired of explaining my hunting mates where I see that trophy animal. So instead of " I placed dot on him. What, you can't see the dot? OK, he is 231 m away from us, near to that weird tree. Look the direction I am looking! Nevermind!" we could say "Buck, 231 m, 184°" or "buck, 231 m, SSW" or whatever. You get the point.

2.) Huntermate (HM). Is there anything that doesnt need to be changed? Maps are pretty inacurate (not a big deal), no compass (see point number 1), you can place only one POI dot on the map, planning your hunt is just silly switching between full view map and HM (I want switch to make my drawn path visible on small map), ... Even make some "apps" for HM to show permitted list, whatever... Just make it behave like GPS device from 21st century.

And regarding arrows. I know, I know, spine and stuff... But my point was that you would not hunt bisons and rabbits with the same arrows (of course you will kill some squirrels here and there with heavy arrows and broadheads while waiting for a deer :D ). Thats all. My point is that devs overthink ammo and its usage here (rifles in some instances) and forget about it there (bows). Also, flu-flus are just cool to shoot :D They are made for aerial targets, you can see them flying pretty well, they are super precise and make coooool sound :D
Hynu
Tracker

Post by Hynu »

Pittie wrote:I have only one wish: Team Competitions/Missions.
Now that is a good idea :)

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”