Don't call the game F2P

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Don't call the game F2P

Post by VonStratos »

Well technically speaking you can play the game f2p by unlimited time, the thing is that you can play a very small portion of the game that way, and that is different of what many of us understand as f2p, i agree this is far more a p2p that gives f2p trial and should be advertised that way, it would cause less disappointment to new players if they enter the game knowing they are trying a part for free, and then gonna be paying if want the whole experience, than if they enter thinking all content is available for free from start.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

VonStratos wrote:Well technically speaking you can play the game f2p by unlimited time, the thing is that you can play a very small portion of the game that way, and that is different of what many of us understand as f2p, i agree this is far more a p2p that gives f2p trial and should be advertised that way, it would cause less disappointment to new players if they enter the game knowing they are trying a part for free, and then gonna be paying if want the whole experience, than if they enter thinking all content is available for free from start.
Yes,... it should be labeled somewhere in STEAM as a STICKY before downloading, respectively by where it gets downloaded.
At least then they could say well did you read the fine print before you downloaded it.............. :lol:
And nothing has really changed since the last time this subject was posted.
So I guess it is the eyes of the beholder who expects to get everything for free in this world.....
only air my friend.................
Last edited by gas56 on March 12th, 2018, 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
TrueshotM
Scout

Post by TrueshotM »

gas56 wrote:
TrueshotM wrote:
gas56 wrote:I thought the name of the game was theHunter............. :lol:
Reflecting over the time span that it's been out,.. it should have never been labeled as F2P,... and Demo would have been more appropriate,.. but it's past the point of no return.
Maybe a Thread about the F2P aspect before downloading the game should be posted as a sticky in the STEAM forum.. (although I don't even know if you can do that on STEAM)
because I don't visit the STEAM theHunter forum. Or even if anybody would pay attention to it if it was there.
The thing of it is though,.. if you really like the game then there is no other way around it then to pay for it,.. if you want full access.
It took me many years to get over that fact before I joined theHunter as it seemed to get better with each season.
Even though I knew how it worked already paying for a membership and equipment............ :P
We as being in a hunting niche game type are long past the days of a 1 time fee for a $60 game.
I guess a $60 fee every year isn't no worse as buying a couple $60 games a year. Sometimes I bought more than 2 games.......... :lol:
At least you can play and hunt everything with that amount as a member of theHunter with a whole lot of more content.
Well put Gas! It's not a demo though, you can always hop in and kill the free species or MP with a buddy.
As you put it, I guess you do get something for free.............. :lol:
Demo parts are usually free................... ;)
I get what you mean. I was just going off old playstation demo cd's where you could play the first level and then it would stop. I get how the F2P is a demo of the full experience though. Gotcha! ;)
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

TrueshotM wrote:
gas56 wrote:
TrueshotM wrote: Well put Gas! It's not a demo though, you can always hop in and kill the free species or MP with a buddy.
I get what you mean. I was just going off old playstation demo cd's where you could play the first level and then it would stop. I get how the F2P is a demo of the full experience though. Gotcha! ;)
Oh, yeah.... I used to get them out of the Playstaion Magazine.... that's been awhile.....
actually I thought they were pretty cool to test out new games that way each month!
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Just my opinion.
1. The "kids" who complain in here about f2p and give bad reviews on Steam would never take the time to read anything that told them what they don't want to hear. The only reason they got to the game was because it had the word "free" in the banner.
2. The adults who find the game on Steam tend to understand the real world.

And to the OP. You've obviously played the game a little. Please document here how much it cost you until you made the decision to spend real money. I'm betting zero. Zero cost will always mean free to me.
Last edited by stancomputerhunter on March 12th, 2018, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
TrueshotM
Scout

Post by TrueshotM »

gas56 wrote:
TrueshotM wrote:
gas56 wrote:
Oh, yeah.... I used to get them out of the Playstaion Magazine.... that's been awhile.....
actually I thought they were pretty cool to test out games that way!
PSM. first magazine had Cloud on the cover from FF7 :) I remember the fold out demo cases with 3 cd's or so in it, Twisted Metal, Metal Gear Solid, man those were the good ol' console days.
TrueshotM
Scout

Post by TrueshotM »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Just my opinion.
1. The "kids" who complain in here about f2p and give bad reviews on Steam would never take the time to read anything that told them what they don't want to hear. The only reason they got to the game was because it had the word "free" in the banner.
Lol............Well, Stan just nailed this on the head....*close topic* :lol:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Just my opinion.

And to the OP. You've obviously played the game a little. Please document here how much it cost you until you made the decision to spend real money. I'm betting zero. Zero cost will always mean free to me.

Agree, but they are not completely at fault, think that many if not all "f2p" are massive mmo where you can play the whole thing without a monthly and spend money on thing like micro-transactions for new skin for a sword, an armor, a lucky box with an shinny item and so, their concept of what is f2p is already biased when they come to The Hunter, and so they don't care to make the difference or think too much, they simply downvote and go to the next game. But look the positive side, in this forum we have a pretty mature and polite community, do you imagine how would be if this were a real f2p by those kids standards and have them here in masses? oh i have seen the horror.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Griph
Spotter

Post by Griph »

It's as much a F2P game as any other out there. No quality game is just given away. F2P is a better money-making proposition for developers for certain types of games. No one forces anyone to play, and no one forces anyone to buy things. If you don't want to buy things, don't! Hunt Logger's point and shoot the animals you can shoot for free with the free guns they give you.

I've spent about $150 on this game so far. Don't even get me started on how much I've spent on WoT or War Thunder!! :-)

If I enjoy the game, and want to play certain features of it that cost, I buy them. Little kids without money down-voting a game because they can't do everything they want have a very skewed view of the real world. Entitlement....it's real.
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

TrueshotM wrote:
ronMctube wrote:
SoftShoe wrote:
That is exactly right!

IMO the whole F2P is a fallacy. there is no such thing as F2P (at least not for truly "good" games). Every allegedly F2P game is nothing but a hook to get you to spend money (I'm not saying that is a bad thing, it just is what it is). With every F2P out there you can muddle along with very limited content but to really experience the game you going to have to shell out real money. theHUnter is no different.

the model and advertising can be very different indeed.i know some games that can be played to their entirity with not one penny being spent on them.Dirtybomb for eg.i played that for nearly 2000 hrs earnt all my gear by just playing.

as todd says if steam put it under the ftp banner.then you have to blame steam for it.
If it doesn't require a credit card number or monthly payment to hop on a map and shoot a free species........it's free to play, facts not opinion. Unfortunately it's not as "free" as some people want it to be but you can play this game and kill without spending a dime. I doubt anyone that doesn't want to spend a dollar on this game is gonna stick around and take it serious anyways. So it's a nice little thing for anyone to be able to hop in, see the game, test it out..."PLAY" it and see how they like it before investing $ into it. If they required a monthly fee before they let you enter a map then it wouldn't be, but it is, just to a certain extent.

its a tricky subject to debate.you state fact.should never do that in a internet debate or subject.the truth of it is you are limited in play for free . you cant do everything in the game for free.that is fact.the games great but much of the negativity came from it being labled ftp when it isnt.if it was you wouldnt have had so many putting what they have put over the years on steam.or marking the rating down because they believe the title of free to play doesnt fit the game.which being honest and anyone saying anything else is quite frankly a lie.you can only play ftp if you have a weapon that is free and on a reserve with a animal that ethical for that week.i get why its done i understand it.the game isnt ftp though.

you dont need to reply.i understand what you mean.im just stating a honest opinion.i actually think that image maybe better on steam if it wasnt labled as it is.was.

as to say there is no free to play games for nothing.yes there is . as i said dirtybomb no money needs to be spent at all.you can get everything from just playing.there is no held back all the content is free if you choose to play it.they offer paid content aswell and that covers the free players but you in no way benefit from buying paid items.many people dont realize how ftp actually works and how much of the community behind the game needs to chip in to cover and make money for a game.its a tiny percentage of the whole population of the game.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”