Don't call the game F2P

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
ZHSimmons

Don't call the game F2P

Post by ZHSimmons »

If this game called F2P on steam tell me why it got way more Negative reviews to the game then Positive reviews. It feel more like a P2P game like WoW you get a small amount of free play till you have to start paying real money to play the game more. So I say don't list it as a F2P as I played the game all I can call are Deer I had a mission to find elk i need the Elk caller but that showed i needed a to spend real money to buy one. Then there the there membership that was the main draw back to me. All the 4 memberships you can buy are the same thing but with different Extra items that is all.

Image of the Graph from steam ---> https://prnt.sc/iq0nff <---
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: Don't call the game F2P

Post by Tod1d »

I split this off as it had nothing to do with GM$

The F2P designation is determined by Steam. (I sent them an email a long time ago & verified this). If you can download the game & play it, which you can, then it's F2P. It doesn't mean that the game is totally free, but it appears that many free gamers expect it to mean this.

There really should be a better explanation on steam that F2P is really more like "Trial" or "Demo". But I doubt the F2P tag is going away. It attracts more players, and as long as some of those players continue to convert to paying players & members, EW & Steam have no incentive to remove it.

There are quite a few players who remain "guest" or "free" players and continue to play. They can earn GM$ doing missions & buy some items with the GM%. Or they can spend a little bit of money to buy a few things to make the experience broader.

This is a niche game. It's not nearly as big as those other games that can support a broader F2P business model. And, at the end of the day, the EW developers need to eat. ;)

P.S. if you do a search, you will find that this topic has been discussed, debated and argued... ad nauseum
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

it was a terrible thing for the game.this is where most of the negativity came from on voting side.if it would of been labled correctly on steam im sure the game would of not got the down voted so much.its done now so nothing much can be done.

on the other hand you will get many people try it because they " think " its free to play. which does get new players but when they realize it isnt that is when the game often gets another down vote on steam which is not good.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

ronMctube wrote:on the other hand you will get many people try it because they " think " its free to play. which does get new players but when they realize it isnt that is when the game often gets another down vote on steam which is not good.
That is exactly right!

IMO the whole F2P is a fallacy. there is no such thing as F2P (at least not for truly "good" games). Every allegedly F2P game is nothing but a hook to get you to spend money (I'm not saying that is a bad thing, it just is what it is). With every F2P out there you can muddle along with very limited content but to really experience the game you going to have to shell out real money. theHUnter is no different.

DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

I agree that it is stupid that this game is rated as "f2p" on steam.
It's just the "FREE" that attracts a lot of people and go try out the game.
And to be honest, the business model is complicated if you are new, when i first started i didn't bother buying a membership, but after months of playing as quest you get to know things about the game and also about how the business model works etc.
the best thing the developers could do is to make a good guide, make everything "noob" friendly so people will understand quicker how this game works and do not get turned off
straight away if they see that they need to pay for every item.
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

SoftShoe wrote:
ronMctube wrote:on the other hand you will get many people try it because they " think " its free to play. which does get new players but when they realize it isnt that is when the game often gets another down vote on steam which is not good.
That is exactly right!

IMO the whole F2P is a fallacy. there is no such thing as F2P (at least not for truly "good" games). Every allegedly F2P game is nothing but a hook to get you to spend money (I'm not saying that is a bad thing, it just is what it is). With every F2P out there you can muddle along with very limited content but to really experience the game you going to have to shell out real money. theHUnter is no different.

the model and advertising can be very different indeed.i know some games that can be played to their entirity with not one penny being spent on them.Dirtybomb for eg.i played that for nearly 2000 hrs earnt all my gear by just playing.

as tod says if steam put it under the ftp banner.then you have to blame steam for it.
TrueshotM
Scout

Post by TrueshotM »

ronMctube wrote:
SoftShoe wrote:
That is exactly right!

the model and advertising can be very different indeed.i know some games that can be played to their entirity with not one penny being spent on them.Dirtybomb for eg.i played that for nearly 2000 hrs earnt all my gear by just playing.

as todd says if steam put it under the ftp banner.then you have to blame steam for it.
If it doesn't require a credit card number or monthly payment to hop on a map and shoot a free species........it's free to play, facts not opinion. Unfortunately it's not as "free" as some people want it to be but you can play this game and kill without spending a dime. I doubt anyone that doesn't want to spend a dollar on this game is gonna stick around and take it serious anyways. So it's a nice little thing for anyone to be able to hop in, see the game, test it out..."PLAY" it and see how they like it before investing $ into it. If they required a monthly fee before they let you enter a map then it wouldn't be, but it is, just to a certain extent.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

I thought the name of the game was theHunter............. :lol:
Reflecting over the time span that it's been out,.. it should have never been labeled as F2P,... and Demo would have been more appropriate,.. but it's past the point of no return.
Maybe a Thread about the F2P aspect before downloading the game should be posted as a sticky in the STEAM forum.. (although I don't even know if you can do that on STEAM)
because I don't visit the STEAM theHunter forum. Or even if anybody would pay attention to it if it was there.
The thing of it is though,.. if you really like the game then there is no other way around it then to pay for it,.. if you want full access.
It took me many years to get over that fact before I joined theHunter as it seemed to get better with each season.
Even though I knew how it worked already paying for a membership and equipment............ :P
We as being in a hunting niche game type are long past the days of a 1 time fee for a $50 game.
I guess a $50 fee every year isn't no worse as buying a couple $50 games a year. Sometimes I bought more than 2 games.......... :lol:
At least you can play and hunt everything with that amount as a member of theHunter with a whole lot of more content combined than older games.
No use complaining much if you look at the whole game industry.
Last edited by gas56 on March 12th, 2018, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TrueshotM
Scout

Post by TrueshotM »

gas56 wrote:I thought the name of the game was theHunter............. :lol:
Reflecting over the time span that it's been out,.. it should have never been labeled as F2P,... and Demo would have been more appropriate,.. but it's past the point of no return.
Maybe a Thread about the F2P aspect before downloading the game should be posted as a sticky in the STEAM forum.. (although I don't even know if you can do that on STEAM)
because I don't visit the STEAM theHunter forum. Or even if anybody would pay attention to it if it was there.
The thing of it is though,.. if you really like the game then there is no other way around it then to pay for it,.. if you want full access.
It took me many years to get over that fact before I joined theHunter as it seemed to get better with each season.
Even though I knew how it worked already paying for a membership and equipment............ :P
We as being in a hunting niche game type are long past the days of a 1 time fee for a $60 game.
I guess a $60 fee every year isn't no worse as buying a couple $60 games a year. Sometimes I bought more than 2 games.......... :lol:
At least you can play and hunt everything with that amount as a member of theHunter with a whole lot of more content.
Well put Gas! It's not a demo though, you can always hop in and kill the free species or MP with a buddy.
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

TrueshotM wrote:
gas56 wrote:I thought the name of the game was theHunter............. :lol:
We as being in a hunting niche game type are long past the days of a 1 time fee for a $60 game.
I guess a $60 fee every year isn't no worse as buying a couple $60 games a year. Sometimes I bought more than 2 games.......... :lol:
At least you can play and hunt everything with that amount as a member of theHunter with a whole lot of more content.
Well put Gas! It's not a demo though, you can always hop in and kill the free species or MP with a buddy.
As you put it, I guess you do get something for free.............. :lol:
Demo parts are usually free................... ;)
Last edited by gas56 on March 12th, 2018, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”