Problems with some species suggestions.

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
DragonFire
Master Competitor

Re: Problems with some species suggestions.

Post by DragonFire »

I see the lists and it's hard to pick unique animals that haven't been done to death or are too difficult to insert into the game.
Bighorn sheep,cariboo,moose might be ok but i think too many different animals all that might interact with other animals too much could be a pain.
We hunt here to relax,blow off steam after a hard day to just enjoy the man against animal may the smartest one win.
I look at the yote and see how badly they can just shut down the enjoyment of the game and get you to the point frustration sets in for if they are around that nice animal you have worked so hard to get close enough for a shot at and called so carefully just shuts down...no movement no calling everything in an area with a yote in it just totally goes dead.
I can't count the times i have cursed the introduction of the yotes.
I just hope if they introduce another animal it doesn't have such a drastic effect on the rest of the animals or the game itself. :)
One thing i would like to see is remove the yotes,you can't call them,they don't score(except weight),they are useless (walk right up to them and pull the trigger)and impact the game way too much.
Larza

Post by Larza »

Quillink wrote:Good luck trying to convince everyone that risking their hard-earned stats is worth the extra tension. ;)
I'm all for bears, don't get me wrong, but Emote would get a lot of hatemail if this was added.
What if you never died, just got unconciuos and woke up in a hospital? Then you'd have to start the hunt over, but you wouldn't lose your stats or equipment. Perhaps with some added penalty, like some equipment broke or something. Similar to how GTA handles it.
D945gtp
Spotter

Post by D945gtp »

MonacoSteve wrote:In fact, it is very exceptional that a (wild!) animal attacks a human. By far the most humans who suffer from attacks are attacked by other humans.... and this is probably one reason why usual FPS and war games are more popular than hunting games (unfortunately, in my view). And apart from that, by far the most respective animal accidents which happen are caused by farm and pet animals getting mad.

Now, coming back to the question: Wild animal attacks can happen due to many causes, and every species can attack you, even so small ones like mouses and rats. It depends on the particular cicumstances - the stress level, the aggression level, the pain level, and also sometimes pathological factors (rabies). In all this cases, the ultimate cause for the attack is defense. Now, predatory animals who do not only attack for defense usually do not have humans as their normal target - most have learned due to the course of evolution that a human being is normally a much to dangerous prey to take the risk. Again, only few exceptions confirm the rule, as we all know. Unfortunately, media tend to blow up such cases, and so raise the impression that being eaten by a shark is something that happens every day. In fact, however, globally much more people win the jackpot in a lottery than are eaten by sharks.

This is the background I would consider in the discussion of whether a hunting game shold have attacking dangerous animals or not. If we deal with a realistic simulation, such an event must be much rarer than seeing 5 albinos in the same spot. But concerning the expectation of many players (and especially those who have a FPS background), a hunting game where animals do not "shoot back" might be boring after a while. And this is the fine line that developers probably have to consider....
Thank you for showing that. There is only one problem, and I am not arguing. There is still the odd chance, that a bear would attack you, or a boar would, etc. And you are correct. I applaud that ;) Seriously though, I do not think we should put them in. This game is not for dieing in, and respawning like in MW2. Now then, I do likw FPS, RPG, MMORPG, etc. I still do not think a nice simulator should be ruined. That is all. Please do not get angry at me for this comment.
Cutch
Master Competitor

Post by Cutch »

I have stomped the woods in Oregon for fifty years and never been attacked
by anything. (Nearly stepped on a couple buzzers,...Rattlesnakes)
I've seen a few black bears and a couple cougers, (mountain lions).
Only one situation resembled an attack, but the buck only wanted to escape.

I was tracking a nice mulie and he went into a boxed canyon,...surrounded by
rimrocks on 3 sides,...only one way out. As I was tracking and looking ahead
in the sagebrush, here he came, blood in his eyes, and running full speed at
me,...the only way out. I ran to my left and jumped up on some rocks as he ran
by. It was his only escape and would have lowered his horns, and ran over me if
I hadn't jumped aside. I didn't have time to even raise my .280. :o

I really don't care to have animals attack me in a game, but of course, I always
go along with what the majority wants. (I should have the option to turn this
feature on or off.) ;)
Last edited by Cutch on January 18th, 2010, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's:
She changes it more often.
outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

it may be o.k. to have 'dangerous' animals in the game, as long as they are not 'aggressive' and are as skiddish as the 'harder to hunt' species.... :D
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

D945gtp
Spotter

Post by D945gtp »

Cutch wrote:I have stomped the woods in Oregon for fifty years and never been attacked
by anthing. (Nearly stepped on a couple buzzers,...Rattlesnakes)
I've seen a few black bears and a couple cougers, (mountain lions).
Only one situation resembled an attack, but the buck only wanted to escape.

I was tracking a nice mulie and he went into a boxed canyon,...surrounded by
rimrocks on 3 sides,...only one way out. As I was tracking and looking ahead
in the sagebrush, here he came, blood in his eyes, and running full speed at
me,...the only way out. I ran to my left and jumped up on some rocks as he ran
by. It was his only escape and would have lowered his horns, and ran over me if
I hadn't jumped aside. I didn't have time to even raise my .280. :o

I really don't care to have animals attack me in a game, but of course, I always
go along with what the majority wants. (I should have the option to turn this
feature on or off.) ;)
I'm with Cutch. The on/off button is a good idea.
Ulric
Spotter

Post by Ulric »

"Thank you for showing that. There is only one problem, and I am not arguing. There is still the odd chance, that a bear would attack you, or a boar would, etc. And you are correct. I applaud that Seriously though, I do not think we should put them in. This game is not for dieing in, and respawning like in MW2. Now then, I do likw FPS, RPG, MMORPG, etc. I still do not think a nice simulator should be ruined. That is all. Please do not get angry at me for this comment."

See this is part of what I was getting at... there's no need for them to attack, really as pointed out there's a small chance a buck may attack. Put some bears, boars and other critters in there. Something 'different' to hunt.
bucknervalleyfarm

Post by bucknervalleyfarm »

Legendaryaxe wrote:Great point about bears and other dangerous animals. They could kill you, which would present a problem with stats, etc. I'm not sure that means they shouldn't be added, but I do understand the concern...definitely something that needs to be though out.

HOWEVER, what's the problem with introducing a species that presents some new game play? Sure, it would present a challenge to the game devs, but that's no reason to give up. Speaking of challenge, ducks, doves, geese, etc, would be a challenge to shoot while in flight, and I daresay, would be fun to hunt. Anybody agree?
Honestly, and in MY own opinion, I could really give a rats patootie about hunting birds. If they are introduced to the game PLEASE dont make it manditory for us to need them for any missions, I don't like to hunt birds, mostly coz I'm a lousy shot. And as far as the missions go, I am STILL trying to get a Muley at 350 ft... I made 307.5 ft and I don't think I could get any farther. I HATE the way they made you be all shakey and stuff while trying to shoot... that could, and should be taken out.

Just MHO.
blaxx
Chat Logger

Post by blaxx »

I assume that you know that you can steady your aim by holding space to hold your breath while shooting :)

//Stellan
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Post by Schlachtwolf »

The cougars are getting aggressive in US..... :o

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44186998

Cougars - also known as mountain lions - are the fourth largest cat species in the world, but they rarely attack humans.

Wildlife officials however say more cougar attacks have been reported in the western US and Canada over the past 20 years than in the previous 80.
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”