Problems with some species suggestions.

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
braveheart7
Spotter

Problems with some species suggestions.

Post by braveheart7 »

Just been reading over lots of suggestions for new species and noticing that most of them would require major problem solving or a lack of realism to implement.

First of all of the animals whic are dangerous to hunter ( Bears, Wolves and Boar etc. )

An obvious problem is the fact that these animals might charge you instead of fleeing when spooked that raises the problem of what happens if a grizzly tears your face off?
The other problem is that these anials are dangerous to the deer species, imagine lining up a shot on a huge whitetail buck to see a pack of wolves scare him off?
personally i don't like these scenarios very much.

Next animal there are a lot of shouts for is red deer and i don't know about elsewhee but in Scotland red deer can be found sometimes in there hundreds usually on hillsides and the hunter picks a target and shoots him.
This would obviously be way too easy or this game and would be like fish in a barrel.

The sugestions for game birds too would require a dog to either make them fly and / or colect them if you don't see where they land and that is a hell of a lot of work there.

I'm sure there are ways round these but my main point is that the developers are in a situation now where so many players want the game to go down different routes that its going to be tough to please everyone and perhaps people are asking a bit too much?
Lawger
Hunter

Re: Problems with some species suggestions.

Post by Lawger »

braveheart7 wrote:Just been reading over lots of suggestions for new species and noticing that most of them would require major problem solving or a lack of realism to implement.

First of all of the animals whic are dangerous to hunter ( Bears, Wolves and Boar etc. )

An obvious problem is the fact that these animals might charge you instead of fleeing when spooked that raises the problem of what happens if a grizzly tears your face off?
The other problem is that these anials are dangerous to the deer species, imagine lining up a shot on a huge whitetail buck to see a pack of wolves scare him off?
personally i don't like these scenarios very much.

Next animal there are a lot of shouts for is red deer and i don't know about elsewhee but in Scotland red deer can be found sometimes in there hundreds usually on hillsides and the hunter picks a target and shoots him.
This would obviously be way too easy or this game and would be like fish in a barrel.

The sugestions for game birds too would require a dog to either make them fly and / or colect them if you don't see where they land and that is a hell of a lot of work there.

I'm sure there are ways round these but my main point is that the developers are in a situation now where so many players want the game to go down different routes that its going to be tough to please everyone and perhaps people are asking a bit too much?
Wildboar would not be unrealistic to add and make them not dangerous to hunters.

About the Red deer- that would be no different than how the Elk is now. Elk and Red deer are very closely related and both like to herd very much. Personally I've never seen, nor heard of Red deer herding in the hundreds (not calling you a liar here, I'm sure it's as you say in Scotland), but 10-20 would not be uncommon, typically a dominant buck, and the bigger the buck the more does to accompany him. Saying it would be too easy to spot a herd and pick your target makes it seem like you haven't hunted Elk in this game lately, at this point in the game you can take every animal in the herd if you wish because they will come back after you've shot one in a matter of minutes if you call them. And I've seen Elk herds in this game of around 10 animals or more.

IMO, the most important things to add is a new environment with new species. The logical step from here (judging by the big poll about prefered next environment, ease of development vs. variation) in my humble opinion would be a Black forest type map. I think that map should eventually contain the following animals: Moose, Roe deer, Wildboar, Red deer, Fallow deer and Red fox. I think it would be much less work to develop (from the current environment) than for example an African map, the environment and animals are different but not very different, providing excellent variation with minimum effort (I hope, not a dev).
Eggenberg
Trophy Hunter

Post by Eggenberg »

Red deer do herd in large numbers - sometimes the herds do go into the hundreds. They're a serious pest in some areas (re-forestation of the Caledonian Forest is one of the big environmental projects here and red deer pose a threat to the newly planted trees).

They're also a serious hazard to drivers : there's scores of accidents caused by red deer each year.

I've said before that if there are dangerous animal species introduced then there should be a penalty if you get mauled or gored.
braveheart7
Spotter

Post by braveheart7 »

There you go mate a picture taken at Aviemore.
tracker
Hunter

Post by tracker »

There are lots of other species they could have that wouldn't require a huge amount of work. I agree with dangerous game, like bears, they could seriously mess you up and if you're going for realism, that might be hard to accomplish unless you want the hunter to be able to die :lol:

But there are other species that are not dangerous or as dangerous to hunt, such as Aoudad sheep, and other types of deer (or antelope like deer), like Axis (which I think are beautiful BTW), and Blackbuck, etc., We could have wild pigs, javelinas, and foxes, all of which we have here in Texas, but exist elsewhere too. We have a lot of exotics here that have been introduced from elsewhere in the world, and some that thrive here, like the Axis, which are unfortunately a threat to local whitetail populations.

I like the idea of a blackforest type of terrain. I also like the idea of scrub land, not unlike the Texas Hill Country or west Texas. But maybe I'm biased in that regard ;)
Eggenberg
Trophy Hunter

Post by Eggenberg »

tracker wrote:I agree with dangerous game, like bears, they could seriously mess you up and if you're going for realism, that might be hard to accomplish unless you want the hunter to be able to die :lol:
Too right man. End hunt and the option to restart restart would be enough :)
braveheart7
Spotter

Post by braveheart7 »

Once we can die the game becomes way too arcady than I think will ever be intended.
ryndisher

Post by ryndisher »

braveheart7 wrote:Once we can die the game becomes way too arcady than I think will ever be intended.
May I ask you a question how is dieing over arcady? I guess life is way to arcady for you? ;)
braveheart7
Spotter

Post by braveheart7 »

what the hell? how is that related, pretty sure being mauled by a bear possibly like 3 times a day isn't life.
slugmeister
Outfitter

Post by slugmeister »

braveheart7 wrote:what the hell? how is that related, pretty sure being mauled by a bear possibly like 3 times a day isn't life.
Im with you braveheart. The problem is 50% want game and 50% want simulation. :? I am for simulation, dying and coming back to life isn't simulating anything. Having a major wound and being out for a day or two would be realistic. ;) But like I said, people don't want to wait 1 day for realism, they just want to kill animals.

My question is, why don't you guys just go play a different game? A game like cabalas: trophy bucks sounds perfect. It has good graphics, realistic weapons, some (very little tracking), and you just shoot and shoot and shoot. I pull that sucker out when I get board! :lol:

Heck, that game has a better looking turkey than TheHunter. :!: :?:

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”