Why theHunter simply will not last.

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
wombatvvv
Spotter

Re: Why theHunter simply will not last.

Post by wombatvvv »

]
AngryBadger wrote:I think most people who hunt ethically to begin with, are respectful of nature and the animals. Of course there is an adrenaline rush when you shoot something, that's quite normal, so I can understand someone shouting out or whatever, but like anything, it can go too far. The Cabela's games just seem to be the stereotype of hunters that the anti hunting brigade uses all the time.
Totally agree. I reckon people who are not interested in hunting mistake the elation of a successful hunt with being "happy you killed an animal".

It's like any other challenge. You put time and effort into it and of course you're happy when you succeed. It's not taking an animal's life that makes you happy, it's the result of succeeding in a challenge. Also of course, being an active part of nature, a great supply of meat, fur, etc. But I those last things don't come into the game (I wish they could be worked in some way).

That all said, there is also an undeniable thrill to hunting. Not mindless killing, but hunting. I suspect only psychopaths get a thrill from wanton, needless slaughter of defenseless animals. And that seems to be what a lot of non-hunters think hunters are all about. Hunting is a different thing thought. Human beings are predators and there is a primal thrill to a hunt, like it or not. That's life.

I wish the devs would work that attitude a bit more into theHunter, although I'm at a lack of ideas on how to do it right.

My 2c.

Deconstructed wrote: Off on a bit of a tangent from the original topic so with that in mind, game will not last, pretty silly topic for a game that has been going almost a decade.
Was just thinking exactly the same thing! The devs must have been laughing when they saw it.

Deconstructed wrote:On the quote, actual real life fisherman (woman) and hunters are the people the people mainly active in conservation from my experience. Plenty of non fishers/hunters who may talk the talk but not so much for walking the walk.
Absolutely true. I consider myself way more environmentally and conservation-minded than most people, and it is true of most hunters I meet. I say most because there is always the odd hunter or fisherman I meet that I believe has the wrong attitude, it's true. But for the most part, that's not the case. Those people can play Cabela's games.

Another off-putting thing I saw in the preview is your "adviser" or whatever saying, "okay, looks like this area has been cleared out, time to move on" (or something) after literally shooting everything moving. As if that's the goal.
Wolftracker
Spotter

Post by Wolftracker »

Why theHunter simply will not last.

Simply?

Bcs of time. Nothing lasts.

When it will end?

That is a question of debate. I can sometimes feel nostalgic about the first PC games i liked, (Kings quest and Leisure suit larry anyone?) but that doesn't mean I still play them.

Sometime in the future theHunter will end, lets have fun as long as we can and want to! :)

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

There's always another way to do something... but opinions are a dime a dozen and doesn't change anything unless you're in charge.
TheKildar

Post by TheKildar »

I would argue that you do not need every sight and item in the game to "fully experience" the game, simply purchasing say the 12 month starter bundle at 50 dollars, which is cheaper than most full price pc games and FAR cheaper than even a year subscription on most subscription based games, not even counting the included items, gives you everything you need to fully experience the game, Now I have personally dropped a few hundred on the game, not because I felt I had to to be able to play or do what I wanted to do, but because I enjoy the game and desired to get some extra or different guns etc. even when i already had plenty of guns to hunt every animal in the game from any range with any form of weapon. Not to mention I have gotten around 70 dollars worth of em just through free offers by downloading and opening/deleting a few mobile apps and making new accounts on other games I already play, like War Thunder. I dont regret any of the money I have spent on this game and still come back to it and play regularly, despite playing a wide number and variety of other games as well. That said, i am looking forward to getting Call of the Wild with it's non-microtransaction setup, though i will still play both games.

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Cabela's forever tarnished their reputation with this wannabe badass garbage.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
nosnerb
Outfitter

Post by nosnerb »

This game will not last because it will never pick up a large player base due to the crazily overpriced items in the store. Not even touching on subscriptions.
Been playing a ton of EVE lately and prefer their business model as most customers would
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

nosnerb wrote:This game will not last because it will never pick up a large player base due to the crazily overpriced items in the store. Not even touching on subscriptions.
Been playing a ton of EVE lately and prefer their business model as most customers would
Going on 8 years strong & all of a sudden the business model will cause it to "not last"?
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

nosnerb wrote:Been playing a ton of EVE lately and prefer their business model as most customers would
The only small problem being that EVE is not a hunting game. :?
Image Image Image
PiotrV
Spotter

Post by PiotrV »

"Going on 8 years strong" - about 1k average players online in the last 30 days. That's nowhere near strong. I don't see it getting any better since the new player experience is horrible (still). Neagtive reviews all over the place, simply based on payment system, not even getting to other aspects (neglected bugs, outdated mechanics).

The hunter will stay alive, because of veterans who are either interested only in (sim) hunting games (and have nowhere else to go), or spent too much money to simply abandon it. Anyone else will come and go. Rare updates don't really help and membership system works well enough, to keep me away. Even if I want to play for a while and go hunting, I'm limited to "free" animals and I have to pay extra for ammo.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

PiotrV wrote:Even if I want to play for a while and go hunting, I'm limited to "free" animals and I have to pay extra for ammo.
Yeah you just explained "Free to play" pretty well.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”