Why theHunter simply will not last.

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
knott
Outfitter

Re: Why theHunter simply will not last.

Post by knott »

knott wrote:
caledonianblues wrote:It's always good to read different opinions on the commercial model, and extremely refreshing to read a post that offers ideas and suggestions instead of just an opposing opinion about the existing model. I particularly like a couple of ideas put forward about player skill progression. This would require an overhaul of the existing skills system (which I think is long overdue) and would allow players to hone whichever skills were applicable to their style of play.

However, I agree with DHRifleman that in general, the business model Wargaming adopts would not work for theHunter. The target audience is different in my opinion. I too have spent a lot of time analysing the current business model, trying to apply other theoretical commercial designs in an attempt to weigh up the pros and cons, and I think a change as radical as what's being proposed would end in disaster. I think it would be very damaging to the future sustainability of the game.
Cartoon Head wrote:I never really understand the argument that EW have cornered the market and there are no competitiors, there are thousands of video games out there, each and everyone competes with theHunter for our time and money.
But there are no other hunting games out there that avoid the "arcade" visuals and approach and cater to those who prefer a "simulator" approach. I know theHunter isn't a simulator but by comparison to the likes of any Cabela's game, it could be classed as one. So I think the meaning behind this comment is that there are no other games that compete directly with theHunter and offer such a great hunting experience.
But play Cabelas Pro Hunter 2013 and it´s more of a sim then the Hunter. We need to use other then Cabelas name to suggest an arcade shooter. Far Cry Primal would work :)

I would think this is pretty much it´s own genre. Not sure which games I would compare it to. Euro Truck Simulator 2, Elite Frontier or such meditative experiences.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

knott wrote:But play Cabelas Pro Hunter 2013 and it´s more of a sim then the Hunter
Now I admit I haven't played a cabela's title in a while, but all the ones I have played were scripted, and not an open world like the Hunter. Has this changed?
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
knott
Outfitter

Post by knott »

DHRifleman wrote:
knott wrote:But play Cabelas Pro Hunter 2013 and it´s more of a sim then the Hunter
Now I admit I haven't played a cabela's title in a while, but all the ones I have played were scripted, and not an open world like the Hunter. Has this changed?
The Hunters reserves are bigger yes but the animal AI appear less scripted in Cabelas and together with the animations they feel more realistic. In the Hunter they are pure robots.
You can also better use the environment to sneak in Cabelas.

I have not played any other cabelas games just watched some videos of leopards and stuff hunting me in trees and such stuff. That is the picture I had of Cabelas before but seriously I think the Hunter have just as much gaming elements if not more then that title.

I also like that they put some efforts in the missions etc. In the Hunter missions is just there trying to fool you to by an air rifle ;)
Cartoon Head
Hunter

Post by Cartoon Head »

I have played 2 hunting games, a Cabela game and this, Cabelas was terrible, it was an arcade game, those big dumb circkes to represent hoof sounds, lol.

If the Hunter is Cam Newton then Cabela's is Marcus Mariota.
\m/
Outfitter

Post by \m/ »

An AI-update should have higher priority, together with graphic/LoD tweaks of all the older reserves (minecraft-style graphics if range > 70-80m on nearly all maps), together with updated models for existing animals. And dont forget bugfixing of game/launcher etc..

Simple said many parts of the "old" content should have highest priority for an overhaul - would be better than ANY new upcoming reserve or species! I dont need XX new species and a new reserve every year (my opinion)
Now offline. Forever.
DHRifleman
Team Hunter

Post by DHRifleman »

knott wrote:
DHRifleman wrote:
The Hunters reserves are bigger yes but the animal AI appear less scripted in Cabelas and together with the animations they feel more realistic. In the Hunter they are pure robots.
You can also better use the environment to sneak in Cabelas.

I have not played any other cabelas games just watched some videos of leopards and stuff hunting me in trees and such stuff. That is the picture I had of Cabelas before but seriously I think the Hunter have just as much gaming elements if not more then that title.

I also like that they put some efforts in the missions etc. In the Hunter missions is just there trying to fool you to by an air rifle ;)
When I said scripted it was because those I played were pretty much the exact same play every time. If it said go kill X deer, you could try over and over and it would have the animals in the exact same spot every time. You just needed to keep looking for the correct one, and bypass those you knew were not the ones.
If that had not changed, it is still scripted, and honestly not really replayable.
The above statements are strictly my opinion, and should not be taken as fact, even if I believe them to be true.
Antlercreeklodge.com Tournaments
Permitted Weapons per Reserve By ClemD
pnShen
Hunter

Post by pnShen »

This game has one very good foundation, that everyone has equal opportunity, and unlimited time base to spot the highest score game of all time. The only restriction is which you are allowed to hunt, and you can change that on the spot, by buying licence or membership.

I think under no circumstances should that be changed.

If EW wants more money, they have (and could have) many opportunities to do it: payed avatars, premium weapons, decoration items, etc. They can implement character editor DLC, gun decoration DLC, Clothes decoration DLC, etc. They can make more money if they want to, without restricting us from basic access to all animals.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

its true the hunter could learn a few things from cabelas 2013 but the hunter is a much better game all round
wildmantom
Tracker

Post by wildmantom »

I've Played other Hunting Game and this one is by far Better ..then those other Games I like it just the way it is ..Sure there are some Glitches ..But there always is and I don't see look at this Game as an Arcade style Game and ya there are somethings that need to be Improved on and has far as I see ..we got New Players all the Time
FleshNBlood
Scout

Post by FleshNBlood »

pnShen wrote:This game has one very good foundation, that everyone has equal opportunity, and unlimited time base to spot the highest score game of all time. The only restriction is which you are allowed to hunt, and you can change that on the spot, by buying licence or membership.

I think under no circumstances should that be changed.

If EW wants more money, they have (and could have) many opportunities to do it: payed avatars, premium weapons, decoration items, etc. They can implement character editor DLC, gun decoration DLC, Clothes decoration DLC, etc. They can make more money if they want to, without restricting us from basic access to all animals.
Hear, Hear!
I don't mind paying $45 a year to go hunting every now and then, but a monthly fee, no way! As a result of a monthly fee, they would be losing money by me no longer being a member, and the few items I buy even though I can't play much.

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”