What kind of events would you like to see?

Share your ideas and suggestions for The Hunter here
Pittie
Hunter

Re: What kind of events would you like to see?

Post by Pittie »

DYEUZ wrote:Bring on the team comps i say !!
Yes, I wait years for it.

All nice ideas. I would add my wish for timelimited sessions in some comps. This would make working people happy, I'm sure.

Anyway, I think we will never see team competitions, because EW could not sell such feature. We all know from the past, that every feature are only create for the shop.
How could EW sell a team comp feature? But of course I would be happy to see it some day.
Regards Pittie
Sorry for my english

InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

Pittie wrote:
All nice ideas. I would add my wish for timelimited sessions in some comps. This would make working people happy, I'm sure.
It's not as simple as timelimited sessions as that doesn't answer the problem of 'grinders'. Nothing about this competition is clean and fair. Why should I even make suggestions? It doesn't seem like EW is interested in making this competition remotely fair?

The best I can think of would be to break the event into a cluster of individual competitions and events (to choose from) with their own prizes (Themed for the holidays). From the way things have unfolded so far it looks like everything of the opposite of 'fair'. Normal comps aren't this way????
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:It's not as simple as timelimited sessions as that doesn't answer the problem of 'grinders'. Nothing about this competition is clean and fair. Why should I even make suggestions? It doesn't seem like EW is interested in making this competition remotely fair?
Well, maybe that depends on the definition of "fair". In my opinion, almost nothing in this game is about "skills", not even in comps that go for highest score instead of "grinding" for a lot of animals. The game is definitely closer to Roulette than it is to chess. It's mostly about being lucky (getting the right spawn) and investing a lot of time (increasing your chance of getting the right spawn). Of course, experience does help to find the big animals in the reserve, but even those in-game "skills" are mostly a matter of grinding as they improve by spotting or tracking as many animals as possible. So while the main leaderboard of this event isn't for me either because I'm not able to invest the amount of time that some players do, I would still consider it fair since it uses one of the most important resources in tH:C - time invested!
Sure, I'd also sometimes like to have a game that depended less on luck and "grinding" - but that would require changing important game mechanics, you wouldn't achieve this just by changing the structure of an event or competition.

Don't get me wrong: I think we've seen some good suggestions how to change this event in the future and make it less of a "grind" and I'd agree with a lot of them. I just don't think it's right to take away from the performance and determination of the top players in this event by calling it "unfair".
InvisibleFlame9 wrote:The best I can think of would be to break the event into a cluster of individual competitions and events (to choose from) with their own prizes (Themed for the holidays). From the way things have unfolded so far it looks like everything of the opposite of 'fair'. Normal comps aren't this way????
Why, aren't there a cluster of individual competitions? I see a new one every other day and they have individual leaderboards, trophies and prizes. Unless I misunderstood your idea...

Now regarding the requirements for some of the daily missions and competitions: Yes, it's probably a strategy to sell weapons and equipment, but that's what we have to take for having loads of sales during December. Would you rather have "generic" missions without requirements, but no sales at all? I think it's a fair trade-off - we get the sales, but EW gently reminds us to buy stuff by making requirements for the event missions and comps.

And it's not like during December we could only participate in the Holiday event - the whole game is still there for everyone, all the regular missions, competitions, the casual trophy hunts to find another nice addition for your lodge etc. We will even get a new reserve and four new species in a matter of weeks! :)
Image Image Image
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Some good ideas here. However, I remain firm in the belief that there is no format that will be fair for everyone. We all lead very different lives and have varying concepts of what fair is. Why is there such an obsession with everything in life being fair? Why should things be fair just because you want them to be?

It's not fair that some people are born into wealth, and others are born into third world poverty. It's not fair that some people are extremely good looking and others look like they fell out the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. The list of things that a person can deem unfair is endless, but in doing so they achieve absolutely nothing. Remove the word from your vocabulary. It's pointless and adds no value to any argument.

Is it fair that some people can buy every weapon in the store and others can't? Is it fair that some people have nothing else to do but play theHunter, when the rest of us have commitments? Is it fair that some people find rares all the time and I stumble across them once in a blue moon?

I think some improvements could be made to events to make them suit more people. But no matter what Expansive Worlds does, people will always assign blame when it doesn't quite suit them. There will always be a reason to blame the event, or the people that are winning. If you don't think it's fair that someone else is at the top of the leaderboard and it's important to you that you are, then do something about it.

I agree with many of the points DYEUZ has made, but I know for a fact some people will still not be happy. It's too easy to break out "not fair" when something doesn't suit. The only way to make the event fair next year is to not do one. That would be 100% fair. Because then everybody would have the same in the end. Plus, it'd be much easier for Expansive Worlds to implement.

My mum used to have the ultimate response to "that's not fair" when I was growing up. Unfortunately if I posted it, I would have to promptly ban myself.
InvisibleFlame9
Hunter

Post by InvisibleFlame9 »

caledonianblues wrote:
Is it fair that some people can buy every weapon in the store and others can't? Is it fair that some people have nothing else to do but play theHunter, when the rest of us have commitments? Is it fair that some people find rares all the time and I stumble across them once in a blue moon?

My mum used to have the ultimate response to "that's not fair" when I was growing up. Unfortunately if I posted it, I would have to promptly ban myself.
I'm not concerned with anyone's ability to buy every store item. That's their business not mine. And it's besides the point. It's manipulative of you to distract from the fact that it's 'sleazy' business on the part of EW and insulting to me as a customer of their product that they should use shameless and sleazy marketing tactics on a holiday event like this that isn't fair for anybody really save for a very specific kind of player. IT's not hard to make the event fair. It's sleazy and money grubbing is what it is.

And you can keep to yourself what you mom told you about things not being 'fair'. I'm aware of that and it's irrelivent to this discussion.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:It's manipulative of you to distract from the fact that it's 'sleazy' business on the part of EW and insulting to me as a customer of their product that they should use shameless and sleazy marketing tactics on a holiday event like this that isn't fair for anybody really save for a very specific kind of player. IT's not hard to make the event fair. It's sleazy and money grubbing is what it is.
Expansive Worlds is doing what every other business does. They're promoting their products and leveraging events to drive sales. You have every right to feel insulted by that, but it's probably something you should accept since it's a fairly common strategy.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Mm, it's more about game content. As a gaming company, if you are designing content to keep money flowing in, you're doing it to keep your customers interested, engaged, and happy. Requiring store-bought weapons for existing content is a problem with design choice. Let's ask this question:

What is the design purpose of Missions in TheHunter?

Is it:

A. To provide additional content and depth for the base game;

or

B. To promote transaction sales of weapons and items?

As it stands, it's very much presented as option A**, yet in order to progress through them, you need to purchase many, many different $5-$10 weapons and items to finish. And I know, they're optional. Nobody HAS to finish them all--but then, why not present them differently? You can make money by saying,

"Hey. These are the Elite Missions that only the most dedicated hunters can finish. Those who put money into our game get rewarded with additional content." And there'd be nothing wrong with that, if they were up front about it. But it's more insidious than that, if you'll pardon a word that sounds a bit more malicious than I mean to use. They start you off with basic missions, and then block you from continuing unless you put money in. If they want to make it both, fine, but there's going to be people irritated and resentful with the design choice. I don't get all up in a tizzy about it, myself; I think it's a poor choice and I still think that memberships should be hiked up in price, and members should get a big store discount as an exchange. But I just kind of sigh, say "well that's yet another thing I guess I can't do without paying for something I don't actually want," and move on. It's a shame, because I definitely feel like missions and competitions should be something that adds depth and constant replayability to the game for all members.

Basically, what I'm saying is, we should be paying money for items we're interested in, not to unlock game missions and competitions. It may generate good money from a relatively small percentage of players, but it's not great overall as a design choice.

**Why do I say it's presented as option A? Because they reward $GM for players who can't afford to pay $EM. They reward a currency type that's directed toward those who don't or can't spend real money. It's meant to be a fun little thing anyone can do and get small rewards out of.

If the TheHunter team was larger, with more funds (I know the irony here), I would suggest splitting it all, revamping the missions and competitions entirely. There could easily be two tiers:

- TheHunter missions and competitions, which require either no special weapon, or a base class (i.e. any crossbow, any ethical shotgun); and,
- TheHunter Elite missions and competitions, which are all sets of missions and competitions designed for specific weapons.

HOW MUCH COOLER WOULD IT BE, if when you purchase a new gun, you unlock an entire SEPARATE set of missions and competitions for that gun?! It'd be a reward of content, rather than locking you out without it. It'd be an incentive to purchase new things. Buy gun, get list of 6 missions and a few competitions available, bam, new trophies, award further HunterScore, whatever. I think a couple of these already exist, but it'd be very cool if this was just how it worked by default.

I just think this is all an issue with how it's presented, and treated. Nobody has an issue with a company wanting to make money. But happy customers want to see their game & company succeed, and unhappy or irritated ones tend to quit. Customer satisfaction should be, always, point #1 in moneymaking!

(About 'fairness,' I have no real opinion, so leaving that out. I don't think this stuff needs to be fair, overall, but the store-bought stuff should 100% be left out.)
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

DYEUZ wrote:For future events like this one , here's what i suggest :

For 25 days of event = 12 comps + 13 missions .( normally )

Main leaderboard for prizes ?: Yes. But points would be obtained by : doing the missions and / or getting a top 20 score in the comps .

Missions : They would give 10 points if completed , each . Based on 25 days in December ( duration of the event ) this would mean 13 missions = 130 points possible .

Comps : A top 20 score would give a specific amount of points , being : 1st = 20 pts , second = 19 pts and so on, to the 20th place receiving 1 pt .
Number of comps would be 12 in December .
The regular prizes and trophies would still be given for top 10 .

Now ,for the main leaderboard and some trophies and prizes , EW just need to determine the scale of numbers and associate a prize and trophy to each section / levels . Maybe giving away a trophy for as low as 150 pts for example . One that is able and whiling to do only the missions and maybe a comp or two that he thinks he can get top 20 or top 10 , would have a chance at a trophy .

Attempts for comps : I suggest a limit of 5 attempts .This will reduce certain techniques of hunting and make for interesting competition .
Since they are mainly about 2 days long each, this limit is way enough , imo . Players just need to manage their games / attempts better .

I think this way would bring ALL of us to participate at the same level .
One that as less time than another , would still be competitive and have his chances .
No need to SM and grind no more . Even those fellas would still be able to participate .
No major advantage for no one . All style of play . I have 1hr free to play , lets try my luck in a comp or do that mission. I have all day , lets be more careful and think my hunt .

About the comps being in multi or single , well , you know what i think about that . Single player for comps is the way to go, unless you have a team orientated comp .

This is my general idea for future major events like the Holiday one . All the numbers can of course be changed to EW's liking .
We need to make that actual points system better , or replace it with something else .

tyvm :mrgreen:

this would actually be a great idea.
jeff1963
Hunter

Re: About this year's Holiday Event ...

Post by jeff1963 »

InvisibleFlame9 wrote:
TheSheWolf wrote:
InvisibleFlame9 wrote:This isn't a competition. It's something...I don't know what. It makes me feel gross and not myself when I look at it. In other words, it's INSULTING to participate in it. Not only is it catered just for 'grinders' as you point out it also requires that you own all the weapons or even better for EW buy them. I don't even want to lay my eyes on that event anymore. It's insulting that's what it is. It's a big part of what puts a bad taste in my mouth about this game or makes me angry when I think about playing it. I payed WELL enough for this game as it is and I don't some barrior at every turn showing me what I'm missing where I can either buy a new thing or don't get to participate. It's making me not like this game really fast.

Imaging purchasing an expensive pair of boots but the person selling them to you says...but it doesn't come with the laces...you have to buy those separately...and you only get a 'license' to use the shoes for a year...in other words 'renting the shoes'. Then they say "oh but you only baught one of the shoes. That didn't come with both of them. You have to also buy the other shoe.

It's one of those experiences that doesn't make me feel any better about spending my time playing this game. It's more of one of those experiences where I subconsciously feel "Really?....The Hunter? How did it come to this?" It gives me a sick feeling even though it's a good game because the way it get's into your wallet is sleazy. There's no denying it. And it's insulting. That's what it is. My two cents.
I am 100% in agreement on this and said it elsewhere myself as well. I do just hate when they do this and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, as well. Items should be attractive enough to warrant purchase based on a player's preference and playstyle, not be necessary to experience the full breadth of included game content--including missions and competitions. While I love the holiday stuff and the effort put into it (for every holiday, not just this one) the very specific weapons ones just irk me.
I Liked the rules in 'power of ten' comp. Where you submit one harvest per animal and you have to stick with your decision. That felt like a fair comp to me. I'm not against certain comps requiring certain weapons as in the 'normal comps' where one comp has one set of rules and there's another comp that suits me better that I can choose. This one holiday event ONLY favors players who either own all the weapons where EW is really just pressuring players to buy weapons that I have no interest in owning and that makes me uncomfortable and resentful at EW staff who seem to think that crooked approach to their customers is smart...... and or players who 'grind'. There's nothing in it for someone who has basic necessary gear who just wants to participate in a fair competition/event. Like I've said before, it would be fun if they would include things like special 'collectables' that can be found or something that all players have a chance of taking away from this event. I would be happy if they had a number of events with different rules which all have prizes. Maybe players can only choose one of them from a number of optional comps. As it stands, I have no spirit left for the Christmas event they have come out with. No amount of players offering multiplayter games (though that is nice of them) to compensate for this crooked event would make me feel better about it or like participating at this point.
Crooked? Those are strong charges, Why do you continue to support them?
Thanks, ~Jeff

Knut
Outfitter

Re: About this year's Holiday Event ...

Post by Knut »

jeff1963 wrote:Crooked? Those are strong charges, Why do you continue to support them?
You are of course right. The event is certainly not crooked, but absolutely fair.
But it is heavily imbalanced towards insanely time-intensive and spawn mashing playing styles, no doubt. I guess this is what he wanted to express.
Last edited by Tanngnjostr on December 15th, 2017, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed political reference
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov

Return to “Thoughts & Suggestions”