Voice Attack for Dog Commands

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Voice Attack for Dog Commands

Post by rhapsodaisical »

Hi All,
after a little discussion on the stream chat I like to point out that using Voice Attack with TheHunter Classic works like a charm for me.

Voice Attack?
Its a small software program that works with your microphone making you play the hunter on mouse+ keyboard while calling out to your dog for commands instead of using a radial menu or pressing shortkeys.

What it basically does is using your microphone to listen to a voice command (spoken sentence) and when it matches it will trigger a keybind. The keybinds for this game are the all commands for the dogs, each having its own sentence. Which I have setup in a profile per game/dog as there are suble differences. My own preference are longer sentences to make sure the program doesnt fire when not intended. For example: a "Sit" command can be continuously triggers as I can be a sore loser at times... (!) So my voice commands are for sitting "<Namedog> Sit down" this is a less common command which often triggers.

As both Retriever and Coons have slightly different commands I have different profiles. This will be added with a third one when I get the Pointer as well.

Voice Attack you can buy on their site for $10 USD, or on steam right now with 50% off for the next 24 hrs!)

I own the standalone version myself. https://voiceattack.com
Store link with Summer sale: https://store.steampowered.com/app/583010/VoiceAttack/
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Re: Voice Attack for Dog Commands

Post by rhapsodaisical »

As you can see I have added several options per command for your dog(s) some fetch some track so commands might not always work with all dogs. I personally named my dogs and love a good level of immersion. So you can at all times replace the "Doggy" with, in my case "Solomon", "Gideon" or "Mozes" and even extend the sentences for whatever you like!

** Disclaimer: people will look at you in shock when shouting at your computer to come here or sit down :Disclaimer***

Link to Profile.vap via Tinyupload:

TheHunter Dogs ENG GENERIC-Profile.vap
Filesize: 0.086 MB
File upload date: 2018-07-04 17:51:55

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4962189150
Last edited by rhapsodaisical on July 4th, 2018, 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

There was a thread on this awhile ago over https://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.p ... ce+command <--there, but now with the new dog I may have to try it out :D
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

Oh Excellent! I never knew. I do remember mentioning VA before.

Update: Uploaded profile for Coon/Retriever will update for new dog when I'm ready
TheSheWolf
Hunter

Post by TheSheWolf »

Can you find a way to bind the "give treat" command? I don't know what it is by default nor can I find it in the menu. So far, though, this is really neat and I wish I'd done it much sooner :) Edit--AHH I see it in your uploaded profile, shift + L, thanks :D

As an update, I'm using this now and I definitely regret not having done it sooner. It's fairly easy to set up and so much faster, more intuitive and more immersive. Sometimes if I spot a particularly large buck I fumble keys trying to get to the "stay" but now it's just an instinctively reactive "DOWN!" and the dog is down :lol: It makes me miss having & training dogs, man!
rhapsodaisical
Scout

Post by rhapsodaisical »

Mind you, if i remember correctly you weren't natively English? In my case I use the commands both in English as well as Dutch. The main Issue that I have is when I am playing the game while talking on the mic or in the room i am in. That way the mic sometimes triggers.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

Yeah I made that thread way back when.

I use VA regularly in many games, especially in Prepar3D (flight sims) and Elite Dangerous (space sims) where I am using my hands on a flight stick and a throttle. But also use it in other games like MMOs with many hotbuttons, or games like Skyrim to easily swap weapons or cast spells without much delays.

In theHunter I used it for my dogs ever since they added the first dogs. To be honest I don't even remember which button brings up the dog command wheel, or which buttons give which commands. I just say "Leeloo, come here!" and the dog runs over to me :)

With the new Pointers though I'll have to rethink the phrases to use. With the retriever and scent hound they only have one ability so all I need is "Leeloo, go fetch" or "Alice, go track". But with the Pointer I need a separate commands to activate the detection for the bird/rabbits since that will be it's own keybind, and then again for the bobcats, for deer etc.

Granted it could be done as simple as:

"Calina, find the [bunny; birds]" and this would make the command trigger whether you use bunny or birds (but obviously dog might still find birds even though you tell it to find bunnies).

Either way... having VoiceAttack to control your dog makes it a lot more fun (and personalized). There is just something about using your own voice to control the dogs rather than mashing buttons that makes it just immersive enough that you might catch yourself saying "Who's a good little doggie?" even though your VoiceAttack isn't set up with any commands for that phrase and all you get is weird looks from your friends/siblings/spouse as you baby-talk to the monitor....
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

rhapsodaisical wrote:Image

As you can see I have added several options per command for your dog(s) some fetch some track so commands might not always work with all dogs. I personally named my dogs and love a good level of immersion. So you can at all times replace the "Doggy" with, in my case "Solomon", "Gideon" or "Mozes" and even extend the sentences for whatever you like!

** Disclaimer: people will look at you in shock when shouting at your computer to come here or sit down :Disclaimer***

Link to Profile.vap via Tinyupload:

TheHunter Dogs ENG GENERIC-Profile.vap
Filesize: 0.086 MB
File upload date: 2018-07-04 17:51:55

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 4962189150
I noticed you made separate commands/lines for "duplicate" commands. E.g. "Doggo Stay" "Doggo Freeze" "Doggo Dont move".

I have a helpful tip that I learned from messing around in VoiceAttack quite a bit over the years.

Voice Attack supports adding multiple phrases in the same command line where it lets you say "this" or "that" and it still triggers the command. To do this you use brackets and semicolons.

Example: To make your dog stay you can use:

"Doggo [stay; freeze; dont move]" ... using this the command will trigger if you say "Doggo" + any of the words/phrases listed in the brackets, separated by semicolons. (note: don't add semicolon behind the last word since that means you also allow the option to say "Doggo" + nothing, i.e. it triggers from just saying "Doggo".)

Using this method you can reduce your list of commandlines to make VoiceAttack profile a little tidier :)

In my own VA profile I have included the dog names too (since I have retriever+scent hound) and most of the commands are the same.

Example:

[Leeloo; Alice] [come here; get over here; here girl; heel]
[Leeloo; Alice] [sit; sit down]
[Leeloo; Alice] [get in; hop in; get inside; inside; get into blind]

Using this method you can keep adding new words or phrases for triggering the same command without the list getting inflated.

When I got my new pointer, Calina, all I have to do is add her name inside the first bracket and I don't need to add new command lines or remember different phrases for each dog.

[Leeloo; Alice; Calina] [come here; get over here; here girl; heel]

Hope this helps :)
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Post by JimboCrow »

This is great! I just bought this on Steam. Thank you very much to rhapsodaisical and everyone else! What a difference this will make to my game, and to the use of my dogs. I was totally frustrated with the rotary menu and had pretty much abandoned them. Now I'm going to give this a go and see if I can't get more use and enjoyment out of them. I'll probably buy the pointer now, which I wasn't going to bother doing! I can also see this being a great tool for the duck lanyard, as well as the trophy shot poses! Welcome to the 21st century Jimbo! Much appreciated folks!!! Jim :D
Spoiler:

Say what you mean, mean what you say; decide upon it, do it, defend it. Keep an open mind, admit when you're wrong, forgive and forget.
xAncalagonx
Outfitter

Post by xAncalagonx »

JimboCrow wrote:This is great! I just bought this on Steam. Thank you very much to rhapsodaisical and everyone else! What a difference this will make to my game, and to the use of my dogs. I was totally frustrated with the rotary menu and had pretty much abandoned them. Now I'm going to give this a go and see if I can't get more use and enjoyment out of them. I'll probably buy the pointer now, which I wasn't going to bother doing! I can also see this being a great tool for the duck lanyard, as well as the trophy shot poses! Welcome to the 21st century Jimbo! Much appreciated folks!!! Jim :D
To improve how well your VoiceAttack understands what you are saying you can train it to become better. That said, it does work pretty well most of the time, but there's always room for improvement.

VoiceAttack simply makes use of Windows Speech Recognition, so to improve how well VoiceAttack works you just need to improve Windows Speech Recognition.

Here's an article on how to do this: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows- ... e-training

Since English isn't my first language there were a few times the VoiceAttack wouldn't trigger the commands I was speaking. One thing I struggled with was pronouncing the word "throttle" correctly. In Elite Dangerous I had commands for "Full Throttle", "Half Throttle" and so on, but Voice Attack wouldn't listen to my Norwegian accent. After running through the Speech Recognition training thing a couple times it improved a lot and now it works pretty much 99 times out of 100.

Anyhow, just wanted to add this bit of information here for you in case you find yourself frustrated with VoiceAttack not doing what you want it to do. Doing the speech recognition training is quite easy and improves it a lot so it becomes smoother and more enjoyable to use Voice Attack.

P.s. some words that aren't words, e.g. names and such may require a bit of tricking the speech recognition. For example my dogs name "Calina" can be tricky for the speech recognition to understand so to bypass that I can type it in as "Kah lina" in VoiceAttack and it recognizes the "Kah" and "Lina". Same with my twitch name Ghroznak. For VoiceAttack to recognize it and also pronounce it properly when saying the name as text-to-speech I had to use "Gross nack" :)

Hope you have a lot of fun with your dog though. I certainly love talking to my digital doggettes while hunting :)

Return to “Fan Guides”