Black Bear Identification

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Black Bear Identification

Post by INTIMID883R »

I am going to try to do a comprehensive guide to help with identification of fur variations in game.

The best way to identify the different variations is actually the face, and not the body fur.

Lets start with the Common. The common actually has 2 variations, one with light spots (eyebrows) above the eyes and one without. They can also come with or without the white patch on the chest. If you will look closely, you will notice that the face looks to have short "slick" looking roundish area, that is same color as the body fur. The pictures below will illustrate the differences.

Image Image

The Chocolate is also easily identified by looking closely at the face. The "slick" circle of short hair on the face will be either dark brown to almost black, and the body fur will be a lighter chocolate color. The muzzle will also have more brown than the common. The best identifier however is the difference in the face and body fur color.

The Cinnamon is really easy. In low light, the entire face and muzzle looks black, and even in good light, is much different than any other bear.

The Glacier is the really tough one for most people. Here again look at the face and not the body fur. The muzzle is near white. The "slick" circular face area is black, and the body fur behind it is noticeably lighter than the face. The patch on the chest will also have more dark fur than the bright white of the common or brown.

The Blonde is well....Blonde. If your having trouble with this one, you may want to go back to bunnies.

Here is all of them together for comparison.

I hope this will help those of you that are having trouble identifying the different fur variations.
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Re: Black Bear Identification

Post by SoftShoe »

This is good stuff! Thanks for posting!

IDing the Glaciers always give me fits.

xOEDragonx

Post by xOEDragonx »

Thank you for pointing out that "slick" part of the face on the normal and chocolate bears in particular. I hadn't really noticed it before but I can definitely see the difference between them now.
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

So, what's new Tony? Men have been having trouble with "blondes" for centuries. :P Probably why the Playboy Club was invented. Sort of a different take on going back to bunnies. ;)

Seriously, nice bear guide.

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
BuiuRei
Trophy Hunter

Post by BuiuRei »

Great guide, but considering your lead on Jack's comp, you might have wanted to delay it until Saturday. :lol:
Spoiler:
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

BuiuRei wrote:Great guide, but considering your lead on Jack's comp, you might have wanted to delay it until Saturday. :lol:
Thanks Everyone. Yeah I know I should have waited, but saw so many post of people having trouble. It is even pretty obvious in the wiki pictures if one really studies them closely. Just wanted to help out.
Spoiler:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

Very nice and very useful for the UHC competitions, thanks for the guide, just one tip, in low light and at far distance the fur of blondes can seem darker and be confused with chocolate for inexperienced bear hunters(like me), so always try spot the face before shot at the bear.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

VonStratos wrote:Very nice and very useful for the UHC competitions, thanks for the guide, just one tip, in low light and at far distance the fur of blondes can seem darker and be confused with chocolate for inexperienced bear hunters(like me), so always try spot the face before shot at the bear.
That was indeed my point, forget the body (fur) and check out the face instead.
Spoiler:
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

INTIMID883R wrote:That was indeed my point, forget the body (fur) and check out the face instead.
Huh, that's pretty much the opposite of what I do with blondes :?
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Especially for you David.

Spoiler:

Return to “Fan Guides”