Jump-Shoot Ducks tutorial (without decoys) "map"

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Jump-Shoot Ducks tutorial (without decoys) "map"

Post by baloo.the.dog »

This tutorial willl teach you how to hunt ducks without using decoys. This usually yields success to me, and rarely do I go more than 20 minutes without killing a duck.

Steps:
1. Walk along these routes below:
Orange= PLaces to call if you have one, or place where I frequently spot ducks.
Red= Path to follow

2. (Optional) use a short range duck locator at each of my orange dots above to locate ducks sitting on water

3. After spotting/hearing ducks, crouch to them until 75 meters (note there may be some that you can't see, so be cautious)

4. after 75 meters, prone til you are 40-50 meters from them, (optional): call them up to you till they are less than 40 meters

5. Spot one facing you that you want to shoot, if one is facing you it will fly almost straight at you

6. Stand up very quickly and charge it, ducks have extremely slow reflexes on here and you will be able to get 10-15 meters while running before they even get up to fly

7. shoot!!!!!!!!
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
Yarrymasa
Spotter

Re: Jump-Shoot Ducks tutorial (without decoys) "map"

Post by Yarrymasa »

Viva...

Oh I didn't notice this post before- I've read the other one (without the map) and failed... :P
But I did find ducks in the water -but a nearby bear spooked them when he noticed I was there!!! Let see if today I get more lucky!!!
Sherab86
Hunter

Post by Sherab86 »

Yarrymasa wrote:Viva...

Oh I didn't notice this post before- I've read the other one (without the map) and failed... :P
But I did find ducks in the water -but a nearby bear spooked them when he noticed I was there!!! Let see if today I get more lucky!!!
Hmm... I have to admitt, that this thread is perhaps more "precise", than second one. But, why there are two, actualy? :P

Yarrymasa,
For me this technique works, but while it makes duck hunting doable, it is still hard work. ;) Those ducks seems to have realy keen eyes. ;) To avoid detection I go to prone even earlier than it is suggested, and still have problems. I suppose it is easier with that 3D swamp camo. If you have those short range callers it is also probably easier (and safer) to call them to you, than continue to approach to them. Rangefinder tends to go crazy in those water reeds, and I'm poor at judging distance by eye. Btw. I suggest at least for those specific hunts to reduce scene complexity to minimum. Otherwise it is realy hard to observe ducks while you are close to the shore already - due to those reeds.
Yarrymasa
Spotter

Post by Yarrymasa »

Viva...

And after a long jorney (5 hours more of less) FINALLY I've got my first two Mallards!!! :D :D :D and a Gadwall (which was the first duck I've killed), but after killing it, I've received the message from DOOM (sorry it was from DOC) telling me I've used unpermitted ammunition- he is always right... :P
Like Sherab86 pointed out, it is very hard work and time consuming, without any kinf of help from callers/camo/decoys... One curious thing- I did find ducks 4 times, but none of these sightings ocorred using the map spots as a guide (however my spots were not very far)... but the truth is: using the huntermate all the time - if it identifies a call from ducks you are NEAR - going at least in prone position all of the time near the shores, and a lot of patience (don't forget to load the shotgun with the right ammo lol) you can do it!!

Thanks to baloo.the.dog for encouraging me into duck hunting!!! and to sherab86 for the support... It is possible to DO IT!!! GO DUCK HUNTERS...

Return to “Fan Guides”