Bear Hunting

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Re: Bear Hunting

Post by ronMctube »

Exanimis wrote:The OP is asking how to hunt bear without bait or treestands, why is everyones answer to buy bait and a tree stand?
true but with saving on buying clothes which give him practically no advantage he could buy a treestand which if honest like a bait barrel is essential for hunting them. or makes it so much easier that you should buy them.

as for hunting bears without you can do that just approach carefully watching them crouch walking. try and approach them head on. bears for some reason when you approach from behind seem to spook more often why ? i dont know.

smaller bears are normally fine for 20-35m trophy bears will spook maybe a little further.maybe 5 metres more.sometimes a smaller bear will walk closer but we talking about safe shooting distance without chance of attack :D

if you are stuck or want a hand i can take you hunting for bears either black or brown.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

For close range barrel and a stand (I recommend tripod just 10m from the barrel) are pretty essential.

For longer range: You can find a lot of black bear at the river in RF. Start at a tent just south of the waterfalls and follow the river south. There are two small river islands and then the big swamp right next to the coast. You should be able to get around 5 bears there within the hour without special equipment. Just pack a big gun .300 or government.

Does anyone one know why bears are so skittish in this game? Is it just so that people are forced to buy the barrels? the barrels are pretty cheap I would have bought them anyway.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Black Bears in real life are skittish, believe it or not. Most of the time, you'll never even know there was one near you. They will flee at the first scent of humans. Of course, there are cases of attacks and Black Bears being "bolder", but most of the time they are tough to come by when hunting. Hunting over bait for bears is almost essential. Almost.
Now the Brown Bears in the game? I won't comment much on them as they are just dead wrong. Brown Bears are nowhere near as skittish as they are in the game. We've been telling EW this for years, so honestly I do not expect any change to them.
Prinz1989
Hunter

Post by Prinz1989 »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Black Bears in real life are skittish, believe it or not. Most of the time, you'll never even know there was one near you. They will flee at the first scent of humans. Of course, there are cases of attacks and Black Bears being "bolder", but most of the time they are tough to come by when hunting. Hunting over bait for bears is almost essential. Almost.
Now the Brown Bears in the game? I won't comment much on them as they are just dead wrong. Brown Bears are nowhere near as skittish as they are in the game. We've been telling EW this for years, so honestly I do not expect any change to them.
Thanks for the clearification. I watched "Backcountry" a few days ago and was hoping for bolder black bears. But I trust your knowledge. Especially since the bears should't be that hungry in the summer reserves.

Yet the brown bears in a late autumn map like hemmendaal are an entire different story.

Return to “Fan Guides”