Reverse engineering: How much do tracks increase skills

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
wintergoose
Outfitter

Re: Reverse engineering: How much do tracks increase skills

Post by wintergoose »

you must click more and more tracks for each Level as you Levels up.
It goes like an exponentiall function
okenko

Post by okenko »

wish someone could get a explanation to try to understand how it works, what matters is the amount of track or animals tracked. I put some prints that I took, I concealed the name because it is not the case.

these are a person, notice how few animals have tracked to lvl 20 in some cases.
I will not even comment on the stark difference between track and spot for each animal.
I will now put the prints of my stats.

not understand why me and many of you parace be so hard to lvl up.
sorry for the rant and for the errors of English
jim1965
Scout

Post by jim1965 »

I continues to amaze me how much work some people put in this game, and last but not least want to share that information with other players. A big thanks for that guys. Awsome :D
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

okenko wrote:these are a person, notice how few animals have tracked to lvl 20 in some cases.
There's no direct correlation between experience gained and animals counted as tracked, as the system will count any animal as tracked, when you identified 3 of the tracks. How many more you identify, doesn't matter.

Look at my initial calculation, I always increased one level.
In the case that I click just the first or second clue, the system will say that I tracked no animal at all.
In the case of always identifying 3, the system will say I tracked 8 animals.
And in the case where I followed one animal until I levelled up, the count is 1.

So 0, 8 or 1 animals tracked - but always increased from lvl1 to lvl2

As you get experience points for every track, you can't tell how many animals one should track to level up. That depends on the playing style. Do you check one track occasionally when passing by and hunt on sights? Or do you follow one animal until it's bitter end? Or you by principle always identify at least 3 tracks of an animal? In all cases the ratio between animals counted as tracked and experience points gained can vary greatly.

In the first case you posted, you can clearly see that this player doesn't give a damn for tracking. He/she is hunting on sight and occasionally clicking a track arch, when passing by. You will level up this way, too. But the system won't count many animals as tracked.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
T0MRf5
Outfitter

Post by T0MRf5 »

Some very interesting information in this thread. From what I can see it looks accurate. I have tested the 1st tracks for level 1 and then a little for level 2 and it appears to follow a linear pattern of 38 * skill level -1. That may not be correct but it is a time consuming process as I recorded the percentage increases on the skill pages which only update every so often.

Due to some counting errors I have not verified the 1st and 2nd and the 1st,2nd and 3rd tracking amounts but they look similar to what the OP documented.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Reminded by TOMRf5 about this topic, I went into it again. I always wanted to find out what is the inclinational increase for the higher levels. To basically answer HooCairs question:
HooCairs wrote:Can you figure out the formula for tracking, given the numbers? :D
But whenever a new species came out or I followed the old ones I like I was so enjoying hunting that I didn't follow the numbers closely enough. Quite frankly, it's a nightmare to reverse engineer.
So I created a guest account on purpose to test. And here is what I got:

Result skill increase lvl2 0% to lvl3:
  • 12x ID-ed first 6 tracks + 1x ID-ed first 7 tracks (mistake) + 1x ID-ed first 3 tracks = lvl3 1%
The one mistake annoys me a little, because it meant that the level increase happened on the 3rd track of the last animal. The highest possible skill gain and thus the highest uncertainty. But it seems to add up anyway.

Assumptions
1st and 4th+ tracks give 1 point
2nd track gives 1.5 points
3rd track gives 3 points
-> this is based on the findings and calculations in the opening post

Calculations
12x (4x1 + 1.5 + 3) + 1x (5x1 + 1.5 + 3) + 1x (1 + 1.5 + 3) = 117 points needed to reach lvl 3 1% from lvl 2 0%
(with the last ID-ed clue being a 3rd it could've possibly been reached with 115 points)

6x (4x1 + 1.5 + 3) + 1x (1 + 1.5 + 3) = 56.5 points needed to reach lvl 2 1% from lvl 1 0%

Conclusions
Reaching level 3 from level 2 needs approximately DOUBLE the amount of animals tracked, both in actions (~13.5x six tracks to ~6.5x 6 tracks) and in points (117 to 56.5 points)

Comments
Again, the numbers don't add up perfectly even. Thus I am still not super-confident that I got it right in the first place.
That an increase from level 2 to level 3 need roughly double than an increase from lvl 1 to lvl 2 is pretty clear, though.

Regarding this:
Knut wrote:Open questions
The following point remain unclear for me
  • I tried to figure that out but it's way too annoying to try to find an animal without really tracking it before shooting and then wounding it only to ID the blood trails.
    To find out this point will need teamwork. I'll basically need a guide finding and luring in the animals and then wounding it while I only track the blood trail.
  • do blood clues give a different skill raise?
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Ok, it got me thinking further.
Because if I calculate with 1 point for 1st & 4th+ track, 1.5 pt for 2nd and 3 pt for 3rd track, as done above, I get very varying results for the equations from the first posting:
  • I) 37 pt
  • II) 37.5 pt
  • III) 52 pt
  • IV) 52 pt
  • V) 56.5 pt
So that doesn't add up and I thought it likely that the 1st and the 4th+ track do not give the same XP.

Therefore I did a test and tracked one single animal until I reached level 2. And to make the story short, here's my summary fist:
I GIVE UP. WE WILL NEVER EVER EVER FIND OUT HOW THIS WORKS EXACTLY!!!!

Here's the animal I tracked:
link to scoresheet: http://www.thehunter.com/#profile/testk ... /302051733

And you see that this is way more than the 35 tracks that would be expected from the calculations in the first post.
I counted 128 tracks until the "You've reached Level 2" message appeared.
137 ID-ed tracks total resulted in level 2 3%

Interestingly, around 20 tracks in I reached 37%, around 100 tracks in I reached 92%.
(which is also hard to judge because the database updates only every 5 minutes or so)

So I fear that this is way more complicated than just a certain number of experience points for a certain track. My guess is that the experience gain on a single animal follows a logarithmic decay. The longer you track, the less XP you get for a single track.
And additionally there is a bonus for the 2nd and 3rd track, maybe also for the 1st

But it could also be completely different. Maybe the different types of clues give different XP, too.

Because additionally I got this result:
For the Red Deer I ID-ed one call from one animal (Level 1 5% skill) and one roaming track from another (level 1 8%). For the fox I ID-ed a single call.
Maybe these percentages aren't precise...

So I fear we will never be able to reverse engineer the issue.
Ragnarifle
Tracker

Post by Ragnarifle »

You ever think that the Animal's projected score also has something to do with it? Or animal Rarity? Say you ID the track of a Rare although you have no way of knowing (unless you've spotted it already) the game does know what is what. Also could this possibly also coincide with spotting and shooting?
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

I don't know whether that's the case or not of course.
But I would be highly surprised if that would be the case. To me, there is no rationale behind it. Why should a rare be more or less easy to track, spot or shoot?

With spotting and shooting it seems to be that just the number of animals count regardless of which type/quality the individual animal is.
I would expect tracking to be the same. But on the other hand I would have never expected tracking to be such a complex skill.
Ragnarifle
Tracker

Post by Ragnarifle »

Well in my mind I would assume that the rarity of the animal could/would be a contributing factor. You get a higher score for harvesting it so really wouldn't be ridiculous to think that spotting it or tracking it could be more valuable. I honestly can't say I've seen a monster that I know of and I know I haven't seen a rare. So just in matter of probability and ratios it makes sense.

I could also be completely out of my mind...probably the ladder.

Return to “Fan Guides”