What You Should've Known In The First Place, But You Haven't - a guide by Vanatorul_Roman for beginners

Enjoy the fan made guides and experience of fellow players or write your own!
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

Re: What You Should've Known In The First Place, But You Haven't - a guide by Vanatorul_Roman for beginners

Post by Vanatorul_Roman »

XXXVI - Scent hound & a bad placed shot

Well sometimes even a good hunter can have a bad day. Here are some tips how to avoid them:

- Avoid to place the shot when the animal just moved when you less expected, tooking you by surprise and made you place an inspired shot counted as a body wound. Watch the animal when is moving or let it move again and calculate the best time to place your shot when is idle or engage your "I will shoot it as it moves" mode.

- Be very careful when you want to place a shot when an animal is trotting. When is trotting it keeps makes sudden moves and you can easily miss or just wound it.

- If you failed to place a deadly shot to put it down quickly (the two above situations) a scent hound could help. But there is a catch. If the dog doesn't have very high skill it will often stop after a few tracks when the body wounded animal blood tracks end.But if it has a very high skill it will guide/take you as a automated pilot straight to that beast that refused to die in the first place.You can save a lot of time this way.

- Keep in mind that some "light weight" deer class will die anyway even from a body wound very quickly (Roe deer, Rusa female, Blacktail females, Whitetail females etc). However a red fox won't die from a body wound even if its weight is very low comparing with a deer. I put three bullets once in a red fox (pistol shot or buckshot from afar) and it was still running "making my day" until I finally put it down with a fourth shot.
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

Re: What You Should've Known In The First Place, But You Haven't - a guide by Vanatorul_Roman for beginners

XXXVII - camping supplies

Don't neglect them. If you have a spare place into your pack (I hope you have the max backpack capacity upgrade, if not, make sure you will get it in a short period) they will save you time and they will save you from those painfull "kodak" moments, when , for instance, you fall between cracks on the ice sheets, exactly when you caught into your sight a Polar bear trophy animal.
They help you a lot on big maps to get from one point to another, especially if in the area you are there is nobody for miles around you. One plus is that, when you teleport near a posessed tent, animals around won't be spooked. The catch is that you after one transfer you can do another "jump" only after 30 minutes of real time.
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

XXII + XXVII Callers UPDATE

When you use callers , especially to call felines and you use a tree stand, pay attention to this trick: IF you call while you are walking and then you go up in the tree, the animal will come near the stand and you don't want that. In order not to make this mistake do this: go on the spot you want the feline (animal) to come. Call it! DON'T MOVE until the calling animation is finished! If you move , you are on square one explained above. After that go up on your tree stand and wait for it. Keep in mind that some felines (especially foxes) sometimes (still it's rare) won't show up exactly on the spot you called. I don't know if that is a bug or not but I confirm that I see these cases first hand. If that is the case, don't lose hope, call them again from your tree stand or wherever you are hidden and, now, knowing where they are, because they called when they arrived and you looked on your huntermate and acknowledged their position, wait them to come with your rifle loaded and be quick about it taking the shot.

When you called an animal and you are certain that it's coming to you, make sure , when it arrives in the area, that you already positioned yourself in the best spot, to benefit of all terrain advantage. Learn to use terrain and be quick about it, otherwise you can encounter situations in which you are disadvantaged:

1)the animal sees you first because it is on higher ground than you and runs

2)you positioned yourself in the wind and it felt you on spot and run)

3)Between it and you there's another animal that senses you and spook your animal

Keep this tip in mind too:

4)If the animal called and you pinpointed its position your huntermate DON'T asume that it will come in straight line. Watch left and right flanks, especially if there are bushes or forest parts between you and the location from where it called from.

5) Sometimes even if answered the call of an animal that will come for your call, it may happen that more animals from the same species can show up in the same time , in the same spot you called (foxes for instance, I saw once 4 red foxes answering the call in the same time). If you KNOW that the one it called and you were chasing is a trophy animal, PAY ATTENTION which one you kill. Maybe you kill the wrong one if you are in a rush.
Also, even if you are sure that the initial which called is a trophy one, maybe, others which will show up have a bigger score, so take a good look at them BEFORE you shoot!
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

XXXVIII - Felines proximity warning

Sometimes, on maps where are felines (bobcat/lynx etc) you will notice, if you pay attention, that a deer or other animals (other than felines), which are in your visual area, spook out of the blue then they run a short distance and they suddenly stop. THAT is a certain sign that near it (on a 50m radius or so) there is a feline. So, if you were prepared to ambush an animal, if you have the specific lure (that e-collar) you can catch a feline easy, too.
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

XXXIX - Bobcat particular

Sometimes you will notice that even if you know it is in your vecinity and you call it, it won't come. Honestly I don't know if that's a bug/glitch or it's supposed to be thatway. Further more, you will notice that even if your e-collar it's on, the bobcat keeps moving around and calles (growles). Here's a tip that can "break"/address its "non-responding" sequence:
If you are having already on your e-collar for it, just turn it off. Wait a few seconds and then turn it on. It might work. If you hear that faint meaw sound, you have a good chance it will come to your call, after you switched your e-collar off of and on again.
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

XL - Pheasant tips

1)if you wanna have a better chance to bring it down , position your self exactly behind it. Whistle (you have key for that, see the game keys list) and let it do its sudden moves (it goes right and then left) and shoot when it's flying in straight line.

2) If you wanna hit it from aside, whistle, and let it pivoting ahead first and just after THAT shoot at it.

3)when you are in a field where Pheasants are usual moving around and you are there for Pheasants hunting, have your rifle LOADED and ALWAYS in your hand. Sometimes, when you shooting at one, another can come from aside or straight to you. Be quick and kill it fast.

4)Use the 2x shotgun ONLY, it's easier than a bigger scope. With a bigger scope you will lose precious seconds to pinpoint the target and scrolling its zoom lengths.

Practicing that will keep you reflexes in shape and you'll bring down a lot of them in no time.
Jimmy Rustle
Spotter

Post by Jimmy Rustle »

Vanatorul_Roman wrote:XXXIX - Bobcat particular

Sometimes you will notice that even if you know it is in your vecinity and you call it, it won't come. Honestly I don't know if that's a bug/glitch or it's supposed to be thatway. Further more, you will notice that even if your e-collar it's on, the bobcat keeps moving around and calles (growles). Here's a tip that can "break"/address its "non-responding" sequence:
If you are having already on your e-collar for it, just turn it off. Wait a few seconds and then turn it on. It might work. If you hear that faint meaw sound, you have a good chance it will come to your call, after you switched your e-collar off of and on again.
Sometimes you will hear the call and upon placing the e-caller and getting ready for it to come in it has gone to sleep. It then doesn't respond at all. Other times if you have a cat coming in and you switch off the caller, it can turn into an unresponsive cat. If you have got the cat to <100m then switch to the predator caller. It will come in much faster and will go straight to the point of the call, where it will stop. This can be better than the e-caller where it gets within ~5m or so, realises it's been duped and flees.
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

Jimmy Rustle wrote:
Sometimes you will hear the call and upon placing the e-caller and getting ready for it to come in it has gone to sleep. It then doesn't respond at all. Other times if you have a cat coming in and you switch off the caller, it can turn into an unresponsive cat. If you have got the cat to <100m then switch to the predator caller. It will come in much faster and will go straight to the point of the call, where it will stop. This can be better than the e-caller where it gets within ~5m or so, realises it's been duped and flees.
What I personally saw and i think it's a bug (I reported it and they admitted it) is this: A bobcat , in my visual range (I was standing in a tree stand and have a large area in fron of me that I could see, so I saw all the moves of the bobcat) was doing that "catching a rabbit" routine, with all that jumps and standing near "the hole". I enabled the e-collar, nothing. I waited to end that routine. It ended after a while but he remained in a "catatonic" stand and didn't move for an hour. All this time I switched on and off the caller and nothing happened. After that hour I tried to see if it spooks if I come closer. It did.
To do what you suggest means to SEE it, to be in your visual range at more than 100m, which is not likely, it keeps hangs onto the forest areas, it rarely walk out on fields. So that is why I cannot include that in a guide. A guide is for common situations not for particular ones. Calling with a fox whistle won't do any good all the time. Half the time it won't respond even if it's in 100m or less, so, in my opinion it's not reliable, that is why I didn't speak about it here in the guide.
I saw even this: I put that decoy in front of the e-collar and half the time it ignored it. It seems that a lot of things must be repaired in its behaviour.
The sleep mode thing is part of the game, so I didn't feel that I should mentioned it here for the bobcat. I talked about sleep mode in a chapter generally so that will do.
Vanatorul_Roman
Hunter

I UPDATE

Eager to win competitions ? Well then pay attention to this:
1) watch the weight of the animals in that map, in that session. The higher the number and frequency of more than two species means that we might have strike gold. It's a sign that trophy animals are roaming around you, you just have to find them in time until time runns up.
2)If you found a trophy animal (big score) there are 90% chancees to be another one of almost equal weight and value. So if the score or weight counts for that competition, pay attention to this and search for the second trophy animal of that species.
3) If you are in a grinding kind competition, where you have to hunt a lot to get a good result, be pragmatic, don't lose time for "just another kill" of an animal you don't need, especially if time is esential. Focus JUST on that animal you need, you will thank you later for that.
BCKidd

Post by BCKidd »

I enjoy reading this topic. Great job and some good tips and info can certainly be gleaned here. 8-)

BCKidd.

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.

Return to “Fan Guides”