Old returning player

Say hello to the rest of the community here. Start a thread and tell us a little about yourself.
Kiwi007
Outfitter

Old returning player

Post by Kiwi007 »

Been a while since I have played the hunter. Way back to season 12 just as new engine and multiplayer was rolling out. Amazed to see Hoocairs still here! :D The original long distance legend.

Anyway I have just purchased the game for ps4 and it is so different! Is it even the same game??

I take it there is two seperate games. Classic on the pc? Call of the wild on many platforms?

One of the biggest things I noticed on the ps4 is the graphics seem worse than the original engine way back in the day. Kinda blurry and the text/font is almost impossible to read........ my eyes have not got that bad.

If someone can give me a quick rundown of what is what on the main difference of classic and call of wild that would be greatly appreciated
AveryW88
EW Staff
EW Staff

Re: Old returning player

Post by AveryW88 »

I think Beldin put it best with Classic is a hunting simulator and COTW is a hunting game.

Classic's harder with the animals more prone to spook from you (and spook each other when one sees another running) where COTW is a lot more forgiving, letting you run, having higher animal spawns, more rare variants on the map, things like that.

Other big difference is that while Classic is free to play you need to earn in-game currency to buy things beyond the starter weapons while COTW comes with a lot more since you're buying the game and the DLC.

I won't start the looks debate here. Classic still runs on the same old engine so COTW does have a bit of a graphics advantage but as to which looks better... Well, seems to be in the eye of the beholder.
Kiwi007
Outfitter

Post by Kiwi007 »

Thanks for the update.

Did the engine not change in classic from before multiplayer and after? I thought it had.

To me I still like the sound of the ‘classic’ which will mean I need to get a gaming pc again after years of not having one.

For me the biggest grip so far for call of the wild on PlayStation is the text is so hard to read! The hunter mate is also blurry.

I am pleased to see I still have some currency from many years ago on my account.

I started reading a bit of the forum on call of the wild and see some relevant post to my questions. Great to see some old names I recognise about!
DanthemanBoone
Outfitter

Post by DanthemanBoone »

Good to have another all black supporter back. Difference between classic and call of the wild, Cotw has a New Zealand map. personally i like classic better but when I just want to go kill something then I hunt Cotw. No competitions in Cotw Though and the N.Z map is missing the Thar and Wapiti, although there are large empty tracts up on the central ridge that could easily accommodate them both. Maybe Avery might take the hint and organize a N.Z. map for us in Classic during his stay. Tree Kiwi hasnt been able to do us any Favours in that department yet.
Old hunters never die.They just sit around the campfires and tell the biggest lies.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

What a blast from the past! Welcome back Kiwi007! I sure remember you!
Kiwi007 wrote:Amazed to see Hoocairs still here! :D The original long distance legend.
They have not yet found a way to get rid of me. 8-)

The game you used to play is now called theHunter Classic. theHunter Call of the Wild is a separate game from the same developer EW.

I used to play Call of the Wild but once the missions were done that could actually be done (many were bugged) I didn't have any incentive to play. Graphics are newer, not necessarily nicer. Animal behavior is pretty different. Waterfowling is a great game in the game of Classic, and a joke in CotW. CotW has an ATV which I used regularly, really fun. In Classic we have a speed limited car good for travel missions and equipment setup only though.

Classic had a long stream of continuous development up to early 2019. Lots of stuff added. Recently development was picked up again with improvements and even new animals.
https://thehunter.fandom.com/wiki/Release_History

Enjoy the game. If you are still in long shots, check out the new distances! :)
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

hi and welcome back :D
Kiwi007
Outfitter

Post by Kiwi007 »

ronMctube wrote:hi and welcome back :D
Ha! Ron! You’re still here too! :D
ronMctube
Chat Logger

Post by ronMctube »

Kiwi007 wrote:
ronMctube wrote:hi and welcome back :D
Ha! Ron! You’re still here too! :D
never left.... ;)
Cauliflower
Tracker

Post by Cauliflower »

same here man. Take it easy.
Cauliflower
Tracker

Post by Cauliflower »

AveryW88 wrote:I think Beldin put it best with Classic is a hunting simulator and COTW is a hunting game.

Classic's harder with the animals more prone to spook from you (and spook each other when one sees another running) where COTW is a lot more forgiving, letting you run, having higher animal spawns, more rare variants on the map, things like that.

Other big difference is that while Classic is free to play you need to earn in-game currency to buy things beyond the starter weapons while COTW comes with a lot more since you're buying the game and the DLC.

I won't start the looks debate here. Classic still runs on the same old engine so COTW does have a bit of a graphics advantage but as to which looks better... Well, seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

I personally disagree. I find COTW to be like an arcade version of the classic. COTW is way too unrealistic for me. The classic is as well but I find the classic to be the grandfather of all hunting games. Respect the game and it will respect you.

Return to “New Player Introductions”