What a Rut!!!!

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
insub
Hunter

What a Rut!!!!

Post by insub »

Hunting here in Louisiana can be tough, 80 degree highs in late December with mosquitos one day and freezing temps the next day. if you hunt a small tract like i do(less than 10 acres) you rely on either the management ability or inability to hunt of your neighbors to try and produce big deer. Well we happened to get new neighbors 2 years ago and they decided nothing on cam was big enough to shoot so they didn't hunt at all last year(500 acres) I have not hunted my tract in the previous two years because I wasn't seeing anything big enough on cam. Fast forward to a week before Christmas, I put cameras on a fresh scrape line and see a ten point making the rounds every night... nothing in the day. So, i put a stand out where I'm certain the deer is crossing to get to a creek bottom and on the first sit 20 minutes before I'm gonna call it a hunt I hear a twig snap to my right. To my surprise standing 20 feet from the tree I'm in is the 10 point I have been seeing on cam, my heart almost stops as this is the biggest deer I have ever seen in the woods. I calm myself down and make a good shot on the buck and he lays down around 30 yards from where I put it in him.
ImageImage Image

I field dress him, cape him out and quarter him so i can bring him right to the taxidermist. it was a magical hunt for me and the first deer that I am getting mounted. After all this my buddy asks if I would like to come hunt with him at a spot he says they have some pretty big deer and of course I say yes. It's 4 days later and the temp is around 40 degrees different. its a cool crisp morning and chasing does is another 10 point, well he comes in close enough for a shot and I take it and I end up with two 10 points in 4 days

ImageImageImage

i will never forget this years rut, it has been a really tough year for me getting in a bad wreck and battling health issues. It's not easy for me to even hunt and without the help of friends I wouldn't be able to. To say that this has been a much needed experience would be an understatement. I just wanted to take the time to share it with anyone that had the time to read.
BCKidd

Re: What a Rut!!!!

Post by BCKidd »

:shock: Wow! Congratulations, Insub. Two very nice lookin' bucks, man the huntin' Gods were with you on those hunts. Great story too! ;) Peace,

BCKidd

"Patience and perseverance, are not an option if you want that trophy, they are a necessity."

Keep it real!
"Careful, David, he's Canadian......They eat people you know." Fletchette.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Wow, a couple of dandies!! Way to go, and kudos on the QDM philosophy ;)

Where in LA? (roughly). I lived in NO for a while. Went to Tulane.

I don't see any wounds. How did you hit them? And with what weapon/ammo?

Make some room in that freezer! :D
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Tod1d wrote:Wow, a couple of dandies!! Way to go, and kudos on the QDM philosophy ;)

I'm guessing he didn't get a pass through and the entry hole is on the bottom.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
SRV
Tracker

Post by SRV »

Very nice! Grats!
insub
Hunter

Post by insub »

Tod1d wrote:Wow, a couple of dandies!! Way to go, and kudos on the QDM philosophy ;)

Both shot with bow, didn't get through shots... but they didn't run far either. I try not to show blood or wounds in pics so i can share them wherever. Really was the experience of a lifetime. My overalls got bloody for the pic but i didn't care one bit. I still can't believe it happened. I was in clinton/ethel, East Feliciana parish for the first one and st. helena/ pine grove for the second.
Last edited by insub on December 30th, 2021, 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
insub
Hunter

Post by insub »

BCKidd wrote::shock: Wow! Congratulations, Insub. Two very nice lookin' bucks, man the huntin' Gods were with you on those hunts. Great story too! ;) Peace,

BCKidd

thank you, they finally blessed me after years of seeing nothing older than 2.5 years old lol
insub
Hunter

Post by insub »

OldMtnMan wrote:

I'm guessing he didn't get a pass through and the entry hole is on the bottom.
yep
Last edited by insub on December 30th, 2021, 1:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
insub
Hunter

Post by insub »

SRV wrote:Very nice! Grats!
thanks, heck of a thing to happen.
mel_o_mel
Tracker

Post by mel_o_mel »

Nice Bucks! Thanks for sharing.
Have a MeLLoW Day 8-)