For Any Fisherman Out There...

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Maxmunger8
Spotter

For Any Fisherman Out There...

Post by Maxmunger8 »

I was wondering what type of rod and reels you guys are currently using right now? When I was a little younger I bought a Abu Garcia Black Max bait-caster because it was a cheap reel I could use in order to teach myself how to use a bait-caster. I ended up loving it, and am still using it today. I put a Abu Garcia Vengeance rod on it and I had a perfect setup. I recently bought a Pflueger President Xl reel and bought a Lews Rod to put on it. I still enjoy both of these set-ups today, so what equipment is your go to?

Have a good day,

Max.
Why do you wear pink camo? Are you going to hunt flamingos? - Anonymous
ogruls
Outfitter

Re: For Any Fisherman Out There...

Post by ogruls »

PENN Slammer III 4500 with a Cinnetic Cinergy 4 Travel Rod 300MH 20-80g, saltwater spinning set up I use. Seldom bait fish these days mainly on plastics or working a fly rod in the sea.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Not much of a gear-head. I just like to catch & eat fish.

I have 4 lightweight rods with spinners set up for casting & bobber fishing for panfish (bluegill, crappie...). These are for guests on the boat, my grand-kids, fishing in the canal behind the house.
I have a shakespeare med-light travel rod with a Pfleuger spinner. (My casting rod).

2 Ugly Sticks (med, med-heavy) with shakespeare spinners & 8# braided line for Walleye fishing. (drifting & bottom-bouncing)
2 short med-heavy rods with bait-casters (easy to set depth) & 8# braided for jigging walleye.

10' Shimano fly rod & reel that I've never used. (other than to practice in the yard)

4 ~18" ice fishing rods with spinners & 6# mono for ice fishing for Perch.

This years tally: 279 Perch, 21 Walleye, 1 northern pike (speared through ice)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Maxmunger8
Spotter

Post by Maxmunger8 »

Wow Tod1d 279 Perch and 21 Walleye, must have been a good year for you. :-) I don't own a boat myself but one of my older uncles has a 12 foot Deep V Aluminum boat we go one together sometimes. This year he bought a few machines for his workshop ( Drill Press and a Lathe) in bad condition. He spent a lot of time fixing them up so I only went out with him 3 times this year. :-( Next year will definitely be a more prosperous year for me.
OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

You might have guessed this.

I'm a fly fisherman. I use bamboo rods, classic reels, and silk lines. Mostly dry flies.
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
jttoo
Hunter

Post by jttoo »

Tod1d wrote:4 ~18" ice fishing rods with spinners & 6# mono for ice fishing for Perch.

Thats a LOT of Perch.

Do you eat them? I've caught and released lots of Perch but never considered eating them. Aren't they bony?
Maxmunger8
Spotter

Post by Maxmunger8 »

jttoo wrote:
Tod1d wrote:4 ~18" ice fishing rods with spinners & 6# mono for ice fishing for Perch.

Thats a LOT of Perch.

Do you eat them? I've caught and released lots of Perch but never considered eating them. Aren't they bony?

No they aren't that bad when filleting. It's like any other fish you just need a little experience and you won't end up with bones in your dinner
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

Maxmunger8 wrote:Wow Tod1d 279 Perch and 21 Walleye, must have been a good year for you. :-)
Perch are small. These were all 9" - 12" It takes about 10-12 to get a pound of meat. But yes, a good year.
jttoo wrote:Thats a LOT of Perch.
Yes, my favorite of all fish to eat. Firm white meat, a little sweet. Each filet has a row of ribs & a row of smaller "pin bones".
After cleaning 1000s of them, you get pretty good at getting all the bones out. :) These are yellow lake perch.

I do all my perch fishing Jan - Mar, on the ice. I walk out my back door to the canal, and out on to the lake. Most of this year's were caught on the canal with only 1/2" of ice.
Walleye is late Apr - May. Also great eating.

I mostly fish for food. And those are the best local fish to eat so I stick to those 2. If a northern pike comes through ice fishing I'll spear it & pickle it.
Sometimes I get accidental catches. Bass, Sucker or Drum (Sheephead) while walleye fishing. Actually, my first "walleye" of the season was a Lake Trout (Forgot to add that one)

OldMtnMan
Outfitter

Post by OldMtnMan »

Huh? A lake trout isn't a trout but a char from the salmon family. It's not a walleye or were you joking?
------------------------
Pete

One shot. One kill.

Fair Chase Hunter.

Long live Classic.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

OldMtnMan wrote:Huh? A lake trout isn't a trout but a char from the salmon family. It's not a walleye or were you joking?
Yeah, they're all Salmonids. I was walleye fishing, but my first catch of the season was a lake trout.
Hit my jig before it even hit the bottom. I pulled up & looked at my buddy & said, "I don't think this is a walleye!"

Return to “The Great Outdoors”