Fall hunting season

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
rbent23
Scout

Fall hunting season

Post by rbent23 »

Just trying to add something new on the forum.... :lol:

Does anybody have any special plans for the upcoming fall hunting season? any new weapons? New animals you've never hunted? Any special locations? anything.. :D
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Re: Fall hunting season

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Not sure it will be this year or next but after a 20+ year break I am seriously considering getting back into real life hunting. :)

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
rbent23
Scout

Post by rbent23 »

It's been a while for me too. The last time was 1993. My daughter and son-in-law moved onto a 400 acre farm. He's (son-in-law) never been hunting and wants me to take him. We were riding around the farm on a side by side during the early spring and saw a non typical I'd like to track down. I was also thinking about hunting some of the coyotes out there. They have a bunch of coyotes getting into the chicken coops and threatening the cattle. Never hunted them before, so that's going to be a new challenge. I think I'll use my AR with them.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Yeah I never hunted coyote either. Back when I quit hunting in the mid-late 90's they had just been re-introduced here in Georgia and you just occasionally saw them. Now they are everywhere and I might try them myself. Also lots more hogs around here as well and never had much luck with them before either. I need to get back out in the woods before I get much older. lol

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
rbent23
Scout

Post by rbent23 »

The cool thing about coyotes is there isn't a designated season, especially on a farm. Get to hunt them all year round. Watched a hunting show once and they said that coyote was pretty good cooked on a grill. Not sure I'm ready to go there yet!

I've seen a couple hogs over the past few years, but I think the landowners around here keep them in check. I've seen more domestic escapees, gone rogue, than I have the wild ones.
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Yeah it's the same way down here with Coyote and Hogs both. I don't think I wanna try eating coyote either. I used to always eat whatever I killed that is another reason I never hunted them. lol

The hogs aren't as widespread here either; but there is a WMA near where I work that supposedly has the most of them in this part of the state.

rbent23
Scout

Post by rbent23 »

XxStrong1xX wrote:I used to always eat whatever I killed that is another reason I never hunted them.
Me too. That's why I never went raccoon or possum hunting when I was younger. My grandfather made me eat possum once :o ....won't ever do it again!!!

We have The Land Between The Lakes here and they have an awesome wildlife reintroduction program. They have herds of buffalo (bison), elk, and are even working with packs of wolves. They have a section in the park where you can drive through and see some of the buffalo and elk. They'll come right up to your vehicle. I'm assuming these are the ones that have gotten used to human contact over the years. Haven't heard of anyone getting sent airborne yet. :lol:
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

Yeah my dad used to talk about some of the "old-timers" eating possum but I would have to be mighty hungry!. I used to coon hunt some but I don't remember us ever catching one. I went with a friend of my Dad's and he just liked to sit and drink coffee and listen to the dogs. :)

I had't heard about that, sounds really cool! My sister used to live near Cades Cove and we used to drive around up there and see all the deer. They were pretty tame as well.

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Possum and skunk are both not that bad as last jg as they're prepared right IMO.

Don't really have anything special planned for this year. Just going to try and get out for deer as much as I can while still staying on top of classes. Got access to a piece of property that borders the only corn field in the area which I'm super excited about. Might try for coyote. We'll see. I was invited to hunt a large farm in Kentucky with a co-worker which I might try and do over Thanksgiving break. Next year I've decided I'm applying for a bear tag. Where I live it takes 9 years to draw but where I go to school you can draw a tag every year, so I figure no sense waiting nine years when I can hunt every year at school.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

That corn field sounds like a good spot! I don't blame you on the bear. We can hunt them down here without drawing a special tag but back when I hunted the season was pretty short and I never seemed to be able to find them when the season was open. (Imagine that) But I think the season is much longer now so I'd like to finally bag one myself.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”