Fishing 2019

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Jack.Grave
Outfitter

Fishing 2019

Post by Jack.Grave »

Yours stories, thougts, photos and so on. Today I have purchased new fishing licence for ordinary waters. All rivers, lakes and ponds where trout and other salmonids are not primary fish, its require special permit in which I am not interested due human introduced Rainbow Trout.
Jack
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Fishing 2019

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

We are starting to get some decent ice on the lakes. Deer season is over now so I guess I'll get it on the hard water for some walleye and splake.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Fishing 2019

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Finally got to do some ice fishing up here. Never ice fished on Lake Superior before, so when my buddy Steven told me that his grandpa had just called and told him there were guys out on the bay, I was pretty excited. My roommates thought I was crazy for getting up at 6 on a Saturday, but I think they're crazy for sleeping in until 12 so it evens out. :lol:
We were out on the ice and setup by 7:45. We had only been there for about 20 minutes when Steven got the first bit of the day, which. We were fishing in about 45 feet of water, and Lake Superior is so clear that we could see the fish while it was still fairly deep. It came up but unfortunately knocked the hook out on the edge of the hole. The legal limit for splake is 15 inches, and that one looked pretty borderline so it wasn't too bad. After that I caught a 13 incher. I then got another bite which ended up being the first legal fish of the day. A 19 inch splake. He put up a great fight, and it took us quite a while to get his head positioned so that we could pull him through the hole.
After catching that one, I dropped down again and got another bite. This one felt pretty small, and as it was coming up, Steven was watching through his hole and said there was another one following it up. He had reeled up when I got the bit so that we wouldn't get tangled, and his line was in the water about 10 inches deep. As I landed mine, the second came up and grabbed his lure almost in the hole! Steven didn't even have a fight. Just lifted his pole up and had it. Neither were legal, but it was pretty funny how the whole thing went down. Steven ended up catching two more fish that were legal, and I lost two decent ones that I didn't hook very well.
Since we got Martin Luther King day off, we decided to go back on Monday and try to catch some more. Steven's grandpa ended up going as well. I started out the day with a 21 inch splake that hammered a green and silver Little Cleo tipped with a wax worm. After getting that big fish early, we figured it was going to be hot all day, but it slowed down as far as splake. Around 9:00 a school of herring came through about 10 feet down. I had never seen or caught one before, and watching such a huge school swim by in that clear water was a ton of fun. We all managed to catch one before they had moved on. That was about it though as far as fish went.
The best part about catching fish up here is I don't have to eat dorm food! :P
19 inch splake

Double

Day 1 dinner

21 inch splake

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda

Return to “The Great Outdoors”