Wanting To Get Into Hunting... But I Live In the UK

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
neonpossum
Tracker

Wanting To Get Into Hunting... But I Live In the UK

Post by neonpossum »

Hey all, I really enjoy reading about everyone's RL hunting here and I can't help but feel jealous! I grew up in North Wales where hunting is not really a thing that happens besides pest control. I remember my Dad would go out with his friends to blast some foxes - I used to do taxidermy and damn they really were 'blasted', big holes everywhere :/ The rest of my family is extremely against hunting, even though I spend a lot of time trying to explain that (in my opinion) it's much more ethical than the meat and dairy industries, supports conservation etc. But yeah they won't budge.

I currently live in Leicestershire and I'm not too sure what the hunting situation is like here. As far as I know there isn't really much, but I know down south there is. But I see all you America, German and Scandinavian hunters filling your tags and man I'm jealous. The idea of going out as kids with your dads to get your first deer sounds so neat. It's such a foreign culture here in the UK, it's not something we do - well it's at least not as common. I'm already 32 and never too late for a 'first time' I think!

If I had all the money in the world I'd totally go for a trip to the USA and learn hunting from scratch, get my first deer and such, I'd love it. But I'm not sure where to start in the UK! I've never used a firearm, never been hunting but man I want to learn and try! Even maybe accompanying someone on a hunt would be amazing!

If any brits could at least point me in the right direction for where to get started that'd be awesome!
Schlachtwolf
Hunter

Re: Wanting To Get Into Hunting... But I Live In the UK

Post by Schlachtwolf »

Move to Germany and for around 3000 Sterling you can do your hunting licence no problem if as long as you have not got a criminal record etc. As a member of the EU you can..... oh that might be a problem..... :?
My opinion may not be right, but it is the one I like most :D

nachthexe
Hunter

Post by nachthexe »

The british Isle have a centuries old, diverse and histoic hunting culture I suggest you put some effort into research it more.
Code: Select all
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

Schlachtwolf wrote:As a member of the EU you can..... oh that might be a problem..... :?
A good kind of problem to have... :lol:

Or come to the U.S. to hunt. You can get a round-trip plane ticket for about $1000. In most states you can get a non-resident deer tag for $200-$300 that will allow you to shoot a buck (resident tags are usually only $10-$15). Additional tags for doe will usually cost $25-$50 for a non-resident.

Then all you need to do is hunt with a friend that also has tags, because you don't have a Hunter Safety certificate. It's called the "apprentice program", and allows you to hunt with someone who does have the certificate (or is old enough that they don't need one).

Finally it will be easiest to borrow a weapon from your friend. You can bring a rifle on the plane if you have one, but need to fill out a TSA form and prove you have a valid hunting license. Doable, but probably a pain in the arse, so it's just easier to borrow one when you're here.

In some states the deer tags will include a small small license ( upland game birds, rabbit, squirrel, etc.). In other states the non-resident small game license will cost an additional $35-$50. Turkey or waterfowl (ducks and geese) will require an addition license/tags.

As for where to hunt, there are millions of acres of public land (State and Federal) that is huntable free of charge. You can also just stop and ask land owners for permission. Even better is if your friend has land or already has permission to hunt other people's private land.

In most states, bow season runs for several months (September - January), but firearms season is usually only 1-3 weeks long, normally during October, November or December depending on the State.

So in a perfect world, you have a friend that hunts, has land (or permission to hunt other peoples land), and you can stay with them during your trip. That way the total cost would probably be in the range of $1000-$1500.
Personal Bests...
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

You should be PMing Fletchette right now to set it up. He has everything you need! :lol: :P

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
neonpossum
Tracker

Post by neonpossum »

Schlachtwolf wrote:Move to Germany and for around 3000 Sterling you can do your hunting licence no problem if as long as you have not got a criminal record etc. As a member of the EU you can..... oh that might be a problem..... :?
I'm honestly thinking about moving to mainland Europe because of all the Brexit stuff, but that's a whole other topic :?
nachthexe wrote:The british Isle have a centuries old, diverse and histoic hunting culture I suggest you put some effort into research it more.
I know it does, but I've never know a single person who hunts :( The general consensus is that hunting is cruel and that people should be ashamed to do it, or that it's only for old men. It might just be the places I've lived and many parts of the UK are drastically different in opinions so I've been so puzzled on where to even start. I'm going to probably have to hide it from my family too - heck, no one even knows I play hunting sims or watch hunting shows - they'd give me so much crap for it. Especially as I do love animals too (I have a degree in zoology and want to continue my studies) but I also love meat.
neonpossum
Tracker

Post by neonpossum »

Fletchette wrote:
Schlachtwolf wrote:As a member of the EU you can..... oh that might be a problem..... :?
A good kind of problem to have... :lol:

Or come to the U.S. to hunt. You can get a round-trip plane ticket for about $1000. In most states you can get a non-resident deer tag for $200-$300 that will allow you to shoot a buck (resident tags are usually only $10-$15). Additional tags for doe will usually cost $25-$50 for a non-resident.

Then all you need to do is hunt with a friend that also has tags, because you don't have a Hunter Safety certificate. It's called the "apprentice program", and allows you to hunt with someone who does have the certificate (or is old enough that they don't need one).

Finally it will be easiest to borrow a weapon from your friend. You can bring a rifle on the plane if you have one, but need to fill out a TSA form and prove you have a valid hunting license. Doable, but probably a pain in the arse, so it's just easier to borrow one when you're here.

In some states the deer tags will include a small small license ( upland game birds, rabbit, squirrel, etc.). In other states the non-resident small game license will cost an additional $35-$50. Turkey or waterfowl (ducks and geese) will require an addition license/tags.

As for where to hunt, there are millions of acres of public land (State and Federal) that is huntable free of charge. You can also just stop and ask land owners for permission. Even better is if your friend has land or already has permission to hunt other people's private land.

In most states, bow season runs for several months (September - January), but firearms season is usually only 1-3 weeks long, normally during October, November or December depending on the State.

So in a perfect world, you have a friend that hunts, has land (or permission to hunt other peoples land), and you can stay with them during your trip. That way the total cost would probably be in the range of $1000-$1500.
This is amazing info, thank you! I'm definately gonna try reach out more and get to know hunters and hopefully I can take my first trip :D I did live in Arizona for a while and part of me really wishes we would have stayed there as hunting is a lot more accessible and accepted in the US than it is in the UK.

Thanks for all this info! :D

Return to “The Great Outdoors”