Finnish Bow Hunting - Help needed.

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Finnish Bow Hunting - Help needed.

Post by TreeKiwi »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
TreeKiwi wrote:Yeah I will wait a little while and see if anyone comes forth, I did not want to be too pushy. I know we have a lot of Finnish hunters in here, so thought it was worth a try.
Are there any local sportsman's clubs near you? Those are often a great resource. Also, I don't know if you go to church, but if you do, that is a fantastic place to get access to land. I would find some plat maps showing all the public ground in your area. Public can be a bit tougher, but it's a great place to learn.
You're welcome to come over here. Its kind if a long drive though :lol:
What bow and arrows are you going to be using?
I have only just started archery and have purchased a Mission Hype DTX.

There are a few things that are a little tricky, language for a start. I have actually joined a Finnish Archery forum in the hopes that I can get some more information. However nobody has replied yet and I suspect it is because of the language barrier. I am not religious sorry, but I like the hint about finding some clubs to get information from. I am halfway through signing up to the local Swedish archery club here, maybe I get some leads from that as well. I am a believer in the right things happen at the right time, so I have not given up hope yet. I should really get a years practice in first anyway before getting into the field.

But I would love to come shoot with you and if the offer is open next year, I would be super keen to make the trip!

Cheers,

Mat
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

TreeKiwi wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:
TreeKiwi wrote:Yeah I will wait a little while and see if anyone comes forth, I did not want to be too pushy. I know we have a lot of Finnish hunters in here, so thought it was worth a try.
Are there any local sportsman's clubs near you? Those are often a great resource. Also, I don't know if you go to church, but if you do, that is a fantastic place to get access to land. I would find some plat maps showing all the public ground in your area. Public can be a bit tougher, but it's a great place to learn.
You're welcome to come over here. Its kind if a long drive though :lol:
What bow and arrows are you going to be using?
I have only just started archery and have purchased a Mission Hype DTX.

There are a few things that are a little tricky, language for a start. I have actually joined a Finnish Archery forum in the hopes that I can get some more information. However nobody has replied yet and I suspect it is because of the language barrier. I am not religious sorry, but I like the hint about finding some clubs to get information from. I am halfway through signing up to the local Swedish archery club here, maybe I get some leads from that as well. I am a believer in the right things happen at the right time, so I have not given up hope yet. I should really get a years practice in first anyway before getting into the field.

But I would love to come shoot with you and if the offer is open next year, I would be super keen to make the trip!

Cheers,

Mat
Sometimes it takes guys a little while to open up to you about their hunting tips and tricks. The longer you stick around the more information will start to trickle your way. An example of that woukd be how this year I got offered a piece of private land near the college to hunt by a guy on one of the bow hunting forums I go on. One if the first things he said in his email was "I've been reading your posts and you seem like the kind of guy I would trust on my land". Just keep making good posts on those forums and let guys know that you're new, that you are willing to learn and do things right etc. etc. You'll be surprised how many guys will open up if it's the same there as it is here.

You're more than welcome to come over next fall. I can't guarantee a deer, but it would be a neat experience for you to hunt the big North woods.

Good luck!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Good luck, TK. Wouldn't it be cool if WE could hunt Fallow Deer?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
Nockedup
Hunter

Post by Nockedup »

TreeKiwi wrote:Hey all,

I thought it was worth a try putting it in here, as I know we have a lot of Finnish hunters.

Next year I have tried to set myself a goal to go bow hunting in Finland, preferably after Whitetail, but Fallow or Roe would be great as well!

I am looking for some contacts or anyone that might be able to poke me in the correct direction. I understand about the laws and how I need to take an archery test. But it looks like trying to find land or even a place to go is a little bit tricky. Ideally it would be great to meet some other hunters, but on the other hand I do not need baby sitting and would be happy if somebody just had some land I could hunt on. Pretty much what I am saying is I am not fussy and will jump at anything I can get my hands on :)

Cheers,

Mat
Mat, do you by any chance own one or know anyone in your area who owns a handheld Garmin GPS? If so, you can have them pull up a map that shows you where you can go on public land and it will also show you who owns the private land. If you know who owns the private land, it takes a little research, but you can contact the landowner and ask for permission to hunt their land. Most people don't think they would ever get permission so they don't bother asking. You might get lucky. The first 2 landowners I contacted for permission to hunt on their land turned me down, but I just moved on and kept asking other landowners. I now have more private land that I can hunt on than I have time for. I probably will never hunt public again. ;)

I have a Garmin, but I don't have an SD card for your part of the world, (at least I don't think I do). My world map chip might have data on it that may be 5 years old, but it also may still be valid info. If you send me a PM with the location your interested in, I'll see what I have and send it to you. At least you'll have landowner names that you can look up a phone number for, then work from there. Once you've hooked up with a landowner, always offer something in return for their kindness whether it be cleaning up trash, fixing fences, anything. Trust me, it's worth a try. Not everybody is an a-hole! :lol:
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nockedup's Twitch Channel

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

@Nockedup, great suggestion. I've done this in the past, and I usually offered them some meat.

I don't have landowners on my GPS (Magellan), but a lot of the (Plat Book) information is available online now. In the U.P., where we rifle hunt, we still have to buy the paper Plat Book.

@TK, practice, practice, practice! Shoot every day for a month & you'll be very confident you can make a good shot on an animal.
I used to go to an archery range that had digital shooting (a big screen with a movie of animals in the woods that you shoot at with special arrow tips). I would highly recommend it if available.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Nockedup
Hunter

Post by Nockedup »

So over in your part of the world you are not allowed to setup a block target on your own property to practice shooting your bow?

Here we can. I have a bow shooting setup on my property with markers on the ground for 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 yards along with a ladder stand in a tree to practice shooting from.

If you ever plan on bow hunting from a tree stand, you should practice shooting from one to get used to the height and the downward angles you'll have to deal with for good shot placement. Getting used to standing on a small platform high above the ground, let alone shooting a bow from up there was a challenge to me in the beginning because, (I'll admit it), I always had a little fear of heights. It took me some time in the tree to get comfortable. When I was working on getting comfortable up in the tree, I used to climb up, (without my bow), strap in and just sit up there and drink a beer or two every evening. My wife asked me if I was losing my mind. I told her, "no, I losing my fear." :lol:
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Nockedup wrote:So over in your part of the world you are not allowed to setup a block target on your own property to practice shooting your bow?
Of course I don't know Mat's home, but as far as I know he's living in Stockholm, capital of Sweden. Densely populated and not exactly famous for being cheap. I'm not sure he's able to setup a target on his "property". ;)
Image Image Image
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

He could very well be in an apartment in the city. Although I did use to shoot in my basement when it was really cold out. Corner to corner maybe 15 yards.
But practice is practice. It's just as much about conditioning your body to make repeatable shots, strengthening your shoulders, arms, and even core.
And getting your routine (stance, draw, hold, release, breathing, etc..) programmed into autonomic memory so you're not thinking about it in the field.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Nockedup
Hunter

Post by Nockedup »

Tod1d wrote:But practice is practice. It's just as much about conditioning your body to make repeatable shots, strengthening your shoulders, arms, and even core.
And getting your routine (stance, draw, hold, release, breathing, etc..) programmed into autonomic memory so you're not thinking about it in the field.
Absolutely.
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:

INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Practice does not make Perfect! Perfect Practice makes perfect. Practice for extended periods of time tends to cause shooters to practice bad habits. Shorter periods with fewer arrows fired down range is a much better session.
Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”