Finnish Bow Hunting - Help needed.

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Nockedup
Hunter

Re: Finnish Bow Hunting - Help needed.

Post by Nockedup »

INTIMID883R wrote:Practice does not make Perfect! Perfect Practice makes perfect. Practice for extended periods of time tends to cause shooters to practice bad habits. Shorter periods with fewer arrows fired down range is a much better session.
This is true as well.
Current Season Stats
Spoiler:
Nockedup's Twitch Channel

"Difficult doesn't mean impossible. It simply means that you have to work hard" ~ Theodore Roosevelt
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Thanks for all the good information guys!

Sadly I do not have a Garmin and as also worked out we own an apartment. I have been eyeing the basement up, however it has shared storage in it hahaha I am not sure how far it is either, i'll go measure it tonight. The bow range is only just the next suburb over and a 15min walk. I have managed to find some good Finnish leads now, one of the Finnish discord hunters has given me some good leads to try :)

I really, really, really want to make sure I am proficient with the bow before I head out after animals. As I remember how much shooting a rifle use to make the heart pump when I first started, I can only imagine how crazy it must be with a bow. I need to learn to be relaxed and comfortable with the bow, well that is my plan anyway!
Columbo
Tracker

Post by Columbo »

Well, long time no forums and what do I see... Are you serious about coming to the land of all the depressed and jealous people :D

Here´s a rather short info about bow hunting in Finland, if you haven´t found it yet. It´s actually at the same sites as the forum you mentioned. There´s also a link to some contacts that could be useful?
I´m sorry I can´t help much with this as I´m not active in the real life hunting these days. Still have my hunting card and shotgun though, because you never know if there would be use for them some day.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I believe in Finland that you are required to pass a sufficiency test or something like that. Talked to a guy on a bowhunting forum who is from Finland and he said you had to be able to shoot 4 arrows and get them all within a 9 inch circle at 18m.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Columbo
Tracker

Post by Columbo »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:I believe in Finland that you are required to pass a sufficiency test or something like that. Talked to a guy on a bowhunting forum who is from Finland and he said you had to be able to shoot 4 arrows and get them all within a 9 inch circle at 18m.
You are very much right... Borrowed the text below from here

When hunting Wild Boar, any Deer type and Mouflon, bow shooting test certificate is mandatory. Shooting test in short:
-Invitations to bow shooting test events are published minimum 1 week in advance on the Finnish Wildlife Agency web page. Gamekeeping district associations are responsible for inviting and arranging the tests, but typically they grant the practical arrangements to local hunting clubs and use local hunting clubs shooting ranges for the tests. The test supervisor must accomplish Finnish Wildlife Agency training program and thus gain justification to supervise and conduct the test.
-The bowhunter has 180 seconds time to shoot 3 arrows into a 23 cm diameter target from a distance of 18 m.
-All 3 arrows must hit the target, or at least break the outer line of the target.
-The round target is the middle section of the bigger Moose target face, the same target face as used in the Finnish rifle shooting test for Moose (please note that it is not allowed to hunt moose with bow and arrow in Finland).
-The bowhunter may choose a standing up position, sitting position or a kneeling down position.
-The bow to be used in the test must meet the minimum requirement of 180 N draw weight.
-The test is shot using target points on the arrows. The arrow material or fletching does not matter.
-The test fee is 20 € per test session. During one session the bowhunter may try to accomplish the test 5 times and in case of 5 failures in a row, the bowhunter must participate to another test session later.
-The bowhunter may pass the test on any gamekeeping district, the certificate is valid in the whole country (except for Ahvenanmaa island).
-This shooting test for big game came into effect on 7.8.2017.
-For European roe deer, there is a transition period for the shooting test requirement. Shooting test for European roe deer will become mandatory as of 1.1.2018.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”