Finnish Bow Hunting - Help needed.

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Finnish Bow Hunting - Help needed.

Post by TreeKiwi »

Hey all,

I thought it was worth a try putting it in here, as I know we have a lot of Finnish hunters.

Next year I have tried to set myself a goal to go bow hunting in Finland, preferably after Whitetail, but Fallow or Roe would be great as well!

I am looking for some contacts or anyone that might be able to poke me in the correct direction. I understand about the laws and how I need to take an archery test. But it looks like trying to find land or even a place to go is a little bit tricky. Ideally it would be great to meet some other hunters, but on the other hand I do not need baby sitting and would be happy if somebody just had some land I could hunt on. Pretty much what I am saying is I am not fussy and will jump at anything I can get my hands on :)

Cheers,

Mat
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Finnish Bow Hunting - Help needed.

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I didn't know there were whitetail deer outside of the Americas. Googled it now (after your post) and learnt that some have been introduced to Finland and Scandinavia - interesting! :)

Good luck with your hunting plans, Mat. Finland is a really beautiful country. But fill your hip flask at home because alcohol is even more expensive than in Sweden! :?
Image Image Image
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I didn't know there were whitetail deer outside of the Americas. Googled it now (after your post) and learnt that some have been introduced to Finland and Scandinavia - interesting! :)

Good luck with your hunting plans, Mat. Finland is a really beautiful country. But fill your hip flask at home because alcohol is even more expensive than in Sweden! :?
Yeah, amazing eh! There are some in New Zealand as well actually, but nowhere near as many I think.

Thanks, I hope I get to see more than Helsinki this time!
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

TreeKiwi wrote:There are some in New Zealand as well actually
I always thought that every single species lives in Australia and New Zealand nowadays - except those that were endemic, those have gone extinct because of the introduced species. :roll:
Image Image Image
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
TreeKiwi wrote:There are some in New Zealand as well actually
I always thought that every single species lives in Australia and New Zealand nowadays - except those that were endemic, those have gone extinct because of the introduced species. :roll:
Yeah well we had no native land mammals originally, that should give you a little insight. Plenty of birds and reptiles!
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

I would go through a local guide / tour operator offering just that. Otherwise you might end up in jail or lost and wounded in the woods... :D
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

HooCairs wrote:I would go through a local guide / tour operator offering just that. Otherwise you might end up in jail or lost and wounded in the woods... :D
Either would be good. But I can only find one outfitter and it looks a bit too... setup for me. I want the real deal.
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

You can also ask active forum members like Andhii or Columbo if they have contacts.
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Yeah I will wait a little while and see if anyone comes forth, I did not want to be too pushy. I know we have a lot of Finnish hunters in here, so thought it was worth a try.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

TreeKiwi wrote:Yeah I will wait a little while and see if anyone comes forth, I did not want to be too pushy. I know we have a lot of Finnish hunters in here, so thought it was worth a try.
Are there any local sportsman's clubs near you? Those are often a great resource. Also, I don't know if you go to church, but if you do, that is a fantastic place to get access to land. I would find some plat maps showing all the public ground in your area. Public can be a bit tougher, but it's a great place to learn.
You're welcome to come over here. Its kind if a long drive though :lol:
What bow and arrows are you going to be using?

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda

Return to “The Great Outdoors”