Your Dream Hunt

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Your Dream Hunt

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Ok guys, it's hunting season now all across the country, and if you're like me, you're probably seeing tons of pictures of people who have had success in the field. Also, if you're like me, you're probably looking at some of these pictures thinking "that would be my dream hunt" or "I sure hope I can do that some day!". So, what would be your dream hunt? I know that is a tough question, so you are allowed three selections (Yeah, choosing just three is a struggle, I know!). Rank them however you like. Try and include specifics such as where and what equipment you would want to use. I'll start.
1. Kodiak Brown Bear on Kodiak Island. Ever since reading Fred Bear's Field Notes, I have wanted to go to Kodiak Island and try for a massive brown bear with my longbow. That just sounds like the coolest hunt in the world to me. Maybe I'm a bit crazy, but getting within longbow range of a massive brown bear just sounds awesome to me! I don't know if it will ever happen, but I sure hope that it does!
2. Dall Sheep in the Mackenzie Mountains. Again with a longbow (or recurve, depends on my mood at the time). I've read and watched just about everything I can get my hands on about mountain hunting. The scenery, the hard physical work, and an animal that is extremely wary all just sound like an absolute blast!
3. Cape Buffalo. Not sure where, but somewhere where I can do a spot and stalk. I don't care to shoot one out of a tree over a water hole. Not sure why but the idea of hunting such a dangerous animal with a traditonal bow just gets me going. This is probably the most affordable hunt on my wishlist, so maybe someday. Just need to work into a heavier bow!

Ok, lets hear yours!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Re: Your Dream Hunt

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

It´s not hard to find the three most wanted dream hunts, but it´s harder to decide in which order to place them. Apart from the one exception, my dream hunts consist of sheep hunting in rough terrain. I like the physical challenge when hunting in the mountains and also the needed marksmanship.

1. Dagestan Tur in Aserbadjan. It´s not that expensive, so I guess I´ll do it one day.

2. Himalayan Thar in New Zealand, unguided. Planned for 2020.

3. A really old Cape Buffalo with the old .458 Lott of my mother´s uncle. He lived and hunted in Africa for over 40 years and was (apart from my dad) my biggest childhood´s hero. We´re not talking about the typical young buffalo bull with sharp tipped horns and 40+ inches, we´re talking about the real dugga boys with broken tips and a boss grown together like it was one piece! A gnarly old guy with a look on his face that Ruark would describe as "If you would owe him a lot of money".
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

I have already made a couple of dream hunts but there is still one that I would really like to do. I have always wanted to hunt a big cat. A Bengal would be the dream. Such a beautiful animal but since they are endangered I would chose a Lion as a good 2nd. Of course I would no doubt end up with a Facebook campaign against me for shooting one :lol:
Alas traveling to the Serengeti isnt likely in my future so my more realistic dream would be Cougar. I like the idea of hunting one with a bow but having a healthy realization of my own mortality I think I would use a handgun instead.

outrider
Champion Hunter
Location: fort worth, tx. "where the west begins"...(THF-37th)(TH-77th)

Post by outrider »

Blonds, Brunette, Redheads........................... at my age, it doesn't matter...............as long as they are asleep so i can sneak up on them. :D .................................. :lol:
I shall Endeavor to Persevere.

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

outrider wrote:Blonds, Brunette, Redheads........................... at my age, it doesn't matter...............as long as they are asleep so i can sneak up on them. :D .................................. :lol:
Have you read The Most Dangerous Game? :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda

Return to “The Great Outdoors”