Tragically, it's also the beginning of "Moron's" season...

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Tragically, it's also the beginning of "Moron's" season...

Post by Radamus »

There is only 1 question- just 1 - "How?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/british-cycl ... 12449.html
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
VonStratos
Outfitter

Re: Tragically, it's also the beginning of "Moron's" season...

Post by VonStratos »

This remind me a case i red long ago, where a hunter killed his partner because he confused the guy with a deer, the thing is that the guy who shoot was looking for a deer, and suddenly saw his friend between the trees, but the guy was so focused into get a deer than instead to see a human silhouette in their scope, his mind made up a perfect deer silhouette where part of the clothes were the head and the arms a leg of deer, he even the saw antlers(some branches probably). A psychologist explained that when you are looking for something very specific and your brain get few visual information, like seeing something moving into the trees of a forest, your brain can give that thing the shape of what you are looking for, i don't remember if said effect have a medical name, but it happens, and can cause accidents even in experienced hunters, in that case both had experience.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

That's tragic. A split second decision ends a life and changes one forever, in an instant. The hunter will serve a long prison sentence, no question about that. Mistaking the victim for an animal might be a mistake, but it was the hunter's mistake, and a very costly one. The families on both sides must be devastated.

I wonder if the hunter will get a letter from Doc :?
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

Well was the biker in a place he shouldn’t be or the hunters? If both parties were legally in the area at the same time and had no inclination of the others presence beforehand it’s straight up negligence by whoever controls that. It’s like any activity. You get Idiots in any past time/sport it’s just so happens that by the very nature of it, in shooting sports they tend to be a lot more lethal.
VonStratos
Outfitter

Post by VonStratos »

“He was riding a mountain bike on a popular and well used track, but it was difficult to get to and would not have been busy as darkness approached. The hunter may have mistaken him for an animal.”

So the forest was a common place for cyclist, and other accidents with hunters were reported before, or so it say in the note, why were both there? it seem a case of bad place at bat time, but by who? if hunters are allowed there, and cyclist too, then is hard to say who wasn't supposed be there, a tragic accident that may have been avoided probably by putting limits to the areas where different activities can be done, maybe, but is too late now for him, lets hope there be lessons learned for the sake of everyone that go to the outdoors, hunters, cyclist, campers, etc.

ImageImage
"Turkeys...the only animal smarter than man."
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Good question LM` I also wondered the same thing. I looked this area up on Gmaps and the area IS a ski park/biking trailed area. It's surrounded with golf courses too. We have laws in some areas that would prevent both from being in the area at the same time. For example, we have a state forest area with dirt bike trails- it's an ATV area that's heavily travelled. It is closed during deer hunting season but still open during the rest of the small game seasons as we have a shotgun only law - Deer season is treated differently because of the firearms allowable. I also think they know, this area brings out the city people and that's a bad mix so they try to manage the idiots with these restrictions. Ironically, haven't had any issues there in decades that I can recall.

But it will be interesting to see the details. No where in the states I'm aware of is hunting allowed on ski resort areas. Logic would suggest that one of these people should not have been where they were- putting dissimilar elements in the same environment should be real simple to solve.

And it is tragic for the guy who made this mistake. It said he went into shock and was taken to the hospital- Yea, I can see that and many lives are changed in an instant.

- There was a guy killed just a few miles from me about 3 years ago. 2 friends were deer hunting and the property owner put his buddy up in a treestand. He was pulling his gun up with a rope and forgot to unload it- So he's in the TS pulling his gun up and it went off- You can fill in the rest of what happened. The other friend witnessed it - he ended up in the hospital and then onto a private clinic for almost a year, he became suicidal, self destructive- He was messed up for a long time and last I heard was basically a hollowed out soul in persistent depression. It was sad all around and especially tough when it's someone you know and live around.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Sad story, but...
caledonianblues wrote:I wonder if the hunter will get a letter from Doc :?
Scottish black humour at its best. How long did it take you to decide whether to post this or not, David?
SoftShoe wrote:Image
:lol:
Image Image Image
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

"incredulous19 hours ago
Why are they hunting near well known and well traveled bike trails in the first place?"

Why was he biking near a well-known hunting area during hunting season?
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Post by caledonianblues »

Tanngnjostr wrote:Scottish black humour at its best. How long did it take you to decide whether to post this or not, David?
I did ponder for a second but since I first expressed my sympathies, I thought there was no reason to suppress my inner self. It is a tragedy but one should never lose one's sense of humour.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”