Going to make my Hunting License

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Going to make my Hunting License

Post by D3AKUs »

Hi all,

So i am planning to sign up next year to make the hunting license.
I will apply to make it start summer next year so i will have it finished before autumn and winter starts. My goal is to be ready and maybe get a huntingcard for the cold season to go out for fox when they have the thickest fur cause if i really go out i want to max out what can be processed out of what i hunt if i even manage to get one in my first season :lol: Fox are open here for pretty much the whole year but i guess hunting them for fur makes the most sense during the cold season - and i think this will be a good challenge too for my first trips.

I am reading a lot of stuff atm , watch tons of animal/hunting documentary and footage and i am also planning a few trips to the shooting range in advance if possible and ofc going out into the wild and soaking in as much knowledge as i can. I also have a friend in a hunting club that ill ask if can come along if they go out maybe once or twice. The hunter school will be over the course of 2 month with around 60 hours in school for theory and practical knowledge.

Any tips that might help me in my preparations from all of u seasoned hunters would be appreciated to help me start this as good as possible and ofc end the school successful to get my license :)
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Going to make my Hunting License

Post by gas56 »

It sounds like you are doing a lot of good things to learn all about your quarry. That is the main objective,... learn as much as you can before you really do it.
Just remember though,.. until you get out there and test out your new found knowledge in the wild that it will be like learning the experiences
all over again from trial and error and your mistakes you will make that you haven't foreseen when you do start hunting realtime.
Just try your best and let things flow naturally and always be positive in the way you do things and everything will fall into place when animals
start showing up in the places you have scouted out and found signs of them being around and the opportunity arrives for you to take them
with the weapon you have so dearly learned to use.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Thanks Gas :)
I am sure the first time i go out with the real intention to hunt an animal will turn out the opposite of what i thought it will be and i will end up being pretty overwhelmed :D
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

Where are you from? We might arrange a meeting or two and I could take you along on a couple of outings.
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Jaegerschnitzel1990 wrote:Where are you from? We might arrange a meeting or two and I could take you along on a couple of outings.
Austria/Vienna , i would appreciate that a lot.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Like Gas said, trial and error. Expect lots of error, and don't let it frustrate you! Learn from it! Get familiar with whatever the animal you're hunting is, from where it beds, where it eats, what it eats, what time of day it is most active, where it may be most likely found at certain times of the day, etc.

The number one thing that I can tell you is to find a mentor. If you can find someone who really knows what they are doing and is willing to share, that is a goldmine! Go to your local ranges or sportsman clubs if there are any near you and just start talking. Look online for hunting forums (although you have to learn when to call bull on some of the stuff people post). If you have someone who is willing to let you tag along, that's even better.

Study up good on animal anatomy. Practice with your weapon. You owe it to the animal to be able to make a clean kill when the time comes.

I don't know much about fox hunting. I've done a little bit of trapping for them but only ever caught one. Maybe learn to do a little predator calling? I don't know if they will come to a call like a coyote or bobcat, but I would assume so.

Go slow, keep the wind in your face, and good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing how you do!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Thanks for the post mate :) I have already ordered a nice jacket and will order some more gear that i can use next year when the Christmas Bonus hits next month :lol: and i am also planning to go out with the camera for now when i have free time. I will actively try to look out for tracks or other indications of animals and maybe i can make some photos and gather some experience sneaking through the wild. A friend will take me to some good locations where i can start outside the city and show me around a bit and introduce me to some people. I think forming connections with People, like u said too, that might share some storys and a lil bit of wisdom is really the best idea and will help me alot. Next step will be the shooting range then :D i have a little bit of practice from a few years ago , but mostly handguns and not as much with rifles so i think i have a long way to go in that department :)
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Allot of good advice given. Hunting animals now with a camera is a great idea! It will test & sharpen the basic skills you need.

I would caution you to limit your spending on gear. Good quality hunting clothes is all you really need now. As you gain experience you will get a better feel for what you really need. Meanwhile allot of what you spend now will be money wasted.

Reading & watching documentaries is good, you can never have to much knowledge but there is no replacement for time in the woods. 1 hour in the woods is worth 10 reading.

Lastly, patience. This may seem a no brainer but wait until you get out in the woods to see what I mean. Its not uncommon to spend all day in the woods & not see anything worth shooting. Fox will be worse. I have never specifically hunted fox but have shot a few over the years. They will come when called albeit slowly & are far more cagey than just about every animal. Only Bobcat come to mind as being harder. You picked a difficult quarry to start with.
Good luck!

D3AKUs
Hunter

Post by D3AKUs »

Thanks for the post :) by buying gear i ment cloth - should have written that :lol: , i wouldnt want to spend to much on equipment now before i really know what i might need or use before i get more experience. Lets see how the camera thing will work out. I still have some holidays left for this year. Maybe ill go out for a camping or fishing trip somewhere far from civilization ,before it gets to cold , with only the most important things equipped and challenge myself a little bit. Havent done that in years :D
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

D3AKUs wrote:
Jaegerschnitzel1990 wrote:Where are you from? We might arrange a meeting or two and I could take you along on a couple of outings.
Austria/Vienna , i would appreciate that a lot.
It is a little far, but if you are in the area of Wiesbaden or Ulm someday flick me a PM ;)

Return to “The Great Outdoors”