Got out and did some real shooting this weekend.

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
DaveyCockett
Tracker

Got out and did some real shooting this weekend.

Post by DaveyCockett »

The Oregon State field target match was this weekend and I got to take out my new gun. I recently bought an HW97k under lever Pellet gun. It has been professionally tuned by one of the best, and shoots one hole groups at 55y. That being said my optics are for lack of a better word crap and I am unable to range efficiently. We had 21 shooters and 4 non shooters just watching.

Out of 8 shooters we had a three way tie in basic break barrel for 1st with scores of 32 out of 40 and had a shoot off. The lane that was picked I had missed three on that day. The first shooter hit all four, second hit three. Being consistent at least lol, I missed three again so I took home 3rd.

In the main match there was not enough people in my class and others to have trophies for all categories so we bunched all the piston shooters in one group and had 1st-3rd for that category, and the rest had trophies for all classes. Had a rough first day, with a score of 32 again but this time out of 52 shots and with my new highly tuned gun ouch. Went home and went through what could be the issue. Found out that my scope will not range past 37 yards, and to be competitive you have to be able to range by inches between 10 and 55 yards.

So knowing that I went early today and tried my hardest to get a better dope sheet. I got one or two more put on my sheet but not enough to make a difference in my ability to be on the same playing field with some of these guys $4,000 scopes. But my score did improve by 3 showing my consistency again and the other piston shooters had bad days. So I took home 3rd again but in over all piston, And 2nd in my class.

Should have brought home 3 medals but only got the two bronze. Super happy with the results, first time I have shot in a year and a half and made the podium with a gun that is 2 weeks old. If you have any field target clubs around I highly suggest giving it a go. Wish I knew how to post pics. My avatar is my new gun though. :D
dj.p.king
Scout

Re: Got out and did some real shooting this weekend.

Post by dj.p.king »

Nice air rifle I had a hw77 and a crosman 1322 some 20 years back now, have only just got back into airgunning
myself i am using a Gamo VAMPIR Tactical break barrel and Crosman 2240 for 30yd plinking until we can
get some land to shoot on, both guns are within UK limits of under 12 and 6 lb as i am unable to be FAC registered.
Season 26

1 Range record Season 23 - Dall 583.110 m, 1 Range record Season 25 - Dall 601.410 m
PB range, Xbow 230.230, Bow 471.180, Rifle 601.410
Game play 2700+ hours/hunter score 19000+ http://www.uhcapps.co.uk/stats.php?username=djpking
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Moved to [The Great Outdoors]
DaveyCockett
Tracker

Post by DaveyCockett »

Hawkeye wrote:Moved to [The Great Outdoors]
TY
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

DaveyCockett wrote:I missed three again so I took home 3rd.
You CHOKED!!! LOL

Dont feel bad, if I had a nickel for every finals I have ever choked at well... I would have a fair number of nickels :lol:
DaveyCockett wrote:
Should have brought home 3 medals but only got the two bronze. Super happy with the results
You should be! Sounds like a great day to me!!
DaveyCockett wrote:If you have any field target clubs around I highly suggest giving it a go.
I wish there was, I used to do a fair bit of field target years ago but the range that sponsored it gave up due to lack of attendance. The closest one now that I know if is held by Pyramid but thats a 6hr drive & thats a long way to go just to get my ass handed to me :lol:

Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Hey, got to get out there and see how you do! Great job! YOu eliminated quite a few shooters! YOu got to be part of the shoot out so that's a hell of an accomplishment.

I'll never forget the first time I went to Camp Perry for a match. Me and some buddies show up with our woodchuck guns and got schooled badly. We thought we were pretty good shooters till we tried that 1000yd stuff- We never had a place to even practice stuff like that. We were pretty cocky in the 500yd range but we were out of our league. We went away with our tails between our legs :lol: ~ When we figured out that guys were out there shooting with glass alone worth more than all our guns and our vehicles combined we admitted we were not ready for this stuff :lol:
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”