2018/2019

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Re: 2018/2019

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

joyce_mg93 wrote:
Jaegerschnitzel1990 wrote:Image

Yearling from this evening. I am pretty amazed how the yearlings developed this year. I am only seeing decent ones so far by means of antler growth.
Oh my God, the poor creature is badly hurt.
It’s not feeling anything, it’s dead. That’s why it’s called “hunting”.
Valrag
Spotter

Post by Valrag »

I spent some time in the stand last saturday.

and my patience paid off

MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Nice deer! Waidmannsheil. Is that a Steyr Mannlicher?

It finally worked out for me, as well. I have been trying to get a buck that fit my expectations. Or rather I had been trying. Until Sunday that is.

The rather long story:
Spoiler:
The last-minute-buck
I had some rather disappointing experiences since 1st of May, but I didn't give up hope.
Last year I shot a big old non-typical six point in the solar power plant, so that's where my dad and I decided to focus our hunting. That and the fact that the place is just 120 acres of food plot with all the herbs you can imagine.
There's roughly 11 deer in there right now and we need to shrink the population a little bit. Well that and the fact that I was after another buck, that roamed around there.

But anyways. Come Sunday, I took position on a box stand overlooking a rather large part of the area. Being able to look down two rows completely and some others partly.
I had already seen game while making my way to the stand, but as soon as I opened the door, every last creature had vanished.
After settling in, I loaded my Heym with 8x57 Soft Points and measured a few distances.
A few does appeared eventually and watching them knock about made time go by quite quickly. Sometimes a hare hopped along, nibbling away at some trefoil.
Other than that, there wasn't a lot of activity buck-wise. When dusk kicked in, I glanced over to my left, where my dad had his stand about 600m away.
I saw him aim his trusty Drilling and soon after heard the soft report from what I deemed to be the 5,6x50R. A little frustrated, I unloaded my gun and prepared for him to pick me up along with his deer.
But not so fast. Him starting the car appearantly alerted a nice 6 point buck, which was lying under the solar panels and now quickly crossing the rows. A brief look with the binos and I was sure that he was the one I'd been after.
Quickly, I chambered a round and got ready, switching on the illuminated dot. Sure enough, he reappeared at what I estimated to be 180 meters.
I positioned the reticle behind the shoulder blade and slowly out weight on the trigger. The report of the 8x57IS echoed over the plains and thereafter everything was quiet.
The buck made off to the left, but judging by his reaction to the shot, he took the bullet low behind the shoulder blade - heartshot.
A mere 5 minutes later my dad arrived with the car and I climbed down to get the deer.
When I packed it into the trunk, I was surprised, that there was no buck in there already and asked why that'd be the case.
Turns out my dad did not shoot with the 5,6x50 but with the 7x65R barrel. After a thorough search we couldn't find any blood, even on the next day with the dog.
I am quite convinced, that the round was a squib load, judging by the quiet report and the lower than usual recoil according to my dad.
Then, of course, we field dressed the deer, which turned out to weigh 17,8kg (about 40lbs). The bullet did tremendous damage to the inner organs, completely obliterating the heart, penetrating both lungs and part of the liver.
Thankfully, the exit wound was only about golf ball sized. Looking at the teeth and the antlers, I'd think he is about 4 years old, my father says 3 years.
I also got to thank him for taking the photographs you'll find in this post.
The rather short story:
Spoiler:
On sunday I shot a six point roe deer buck in the solar power plant.
When he showed up around 9:30PM, I shot him at 180m with 8x57JS out of my Heym SR21.
He still went a good 70m, since I aimed behind the shoulder. Upon weighing, the deer turned out to weigh 17,8kg or 40lbs.
Judging from the teeth and antlers, he should be 3-4 years old.
Now the part you've been waiting for...

The pictures:
Spoiler:
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Valrag
Spotter

Post by Valrag »

hi and Waidmannsdank and Waidmannsheil to you.

Yes the Rifle is a Steyr Mannlicher. It belongs to my Girlfriendsfather and i got to try it out. Its Chambered in .30-06 and has a really nice trigger
CalloftheWild

Post by CalloftheWild »

My younger brother finally filled his turkey tag with 2 days left in the season here in Kansas. It's only a jake, but he is still happy to have gotten a turkey.
Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

Very nice animals everyone - I especially like all the roe deers!

Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

Nice bucks everybody! And congrats to the young fellow on his first turkey!

This is my last buck for may. Due to some other reasons I did not get to hunt as much as I am used to, but I am still pretty happy with the results. Now there is some 1,5 months where I have a lot of time to play TH again, as we do not hunt until the middle of july. I might do some outings in my father´s area on predators and some wild boar hunting, allthough I must say that there are few things that I find more boring than night hunting for pigs.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Very nice buck! He looks like a rather old one. Interesting rack for sure.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

MooseHunter330 wrote:Very nice buck! He looks like a rather old one. Interesting rack for sure.
He looks a lot older than he is...he´s more like the three year old buck that never really got to be big.

Nontheless, BBQ Season is on and I need deer for sausages! I love it when I need deer :D
Valrag
Spotter

Post by Valrag »

Went out yesterday again. It paid off at around 10 pm. I shot that small buck at 160m with my new (bought used) CZ VZ24 in 9,3×62 :) it was standing quartering towards me. I hit both lungs and it droped right there.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”