2018/2019

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Re: 2018/2019

Post by Tod1d »

Nice one, Gas. Like you said, not huge but a pretty, symmetrical basket rack. I should hope to have the same luck after gun season up here! ;)
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

Yesterday paid out big time for me.

The last few driven hunts haven´t been very spectacular. As mentioned before, we are lacking wild boar numbers in big parts of the country...which is definately a good thing, allthough I like shooting boar on driven hunts...everybody does.

So yesterday i was invited to a buddy of mine. We educated together some time ago. I sat on the same stand as last year, where I killed four hogs, and therefore was pretty fired up from the start.

View to the left:

View in front:

View to the right (no idea why the pic is so blurry):

Behind me was a big meadow that was unlikely to be crossed by driven game. About 60 yards in front started a slim thicket that worked as a dark corridor between two big chunks of brush, perfect.

I came to my stand at about 10:10 AM, the beaters and dogs would begin their work at 10:30 AM and the drive would end at 1:00 PM.

10:17 AM: Two roedeers appear, definately pushed out by some other hunters moving into their stands. As I know that I can safely shoot in that direction I raise the gun and give a loud whistle. Both stop immediately. The doe stands right behind a thick fir tree, the buck offers me a small window to shoot between some alders. He drops on the spot. The doe vanishes in the thicket. That worked out nicely, the drive hasn´t even begun. I refill my magazine and wait for more things to come.

10:30 AM: Time to unleash the dog. He quickly makes his way through the creek, sniffs on the dead buck and immediately gets on track of the doe that goes straight into a big thicket about 400 yards away.

10:58 AM: The rain is getting worse and so the next roedeer surprises me as it suddenly appears right next to my stand about 20 yards on my side of the creek. As I raise the gun I can see that it is limping badly because of a fresh gun wound right under the chest cavity through the legbone. The deer sees me and takes off running. I usually don´t shoot at running roedeer, as they are pretty easy to stop by whistling, but this doesn´t apply to wounded animals. The first shot on the bouncing deer doesn´t show any effect (as it turns out later it was a clear miss) but the second one makes it flip over like a rabbit. Very good, this prevented a lot more suffering and a hard tracking job for the scenthounds. You can actually see the deer laying in the "front" picture between two fir trees close together on the left side.

11:10 AM: My good dog comes by and checks whether I still am where he left me. I can hear beaters in the distance and sure enough he decides to help them and vanishes in that direction, finding a boar on his way and pushing it in the "wrong" direction, away from my stand.

11:20 AM: Because of the awful weather I can´t hear the lone piglet approaching. It suddenly comes into view right at the edge of the thicket and is gone before I can settle the crosshairs on him. However the jays are still warning in the thicket and so i keep the gun pointed in that direction as i expect more pigs to be coming.

11:23 AM: To my surprise, it´s no boar that appears in a small shooting lane into the thicket, but a yearling roebuck. It´s real bad luck for him that I had already focused in that direction, otherwhise I wouldn´t have stood any chance. The shot at 60 yards on the standing deer is no big deal and he drops after 15 yards. Holy smokes! Three deer in the bag, this hunt is really doing good so far! How could I know that it was getting even better...

11:50 AM: The beaters pass my stand and ask how I did so far. One of them confirms the three kills (not with the huntermate of course ;) the third deer dropped out of my view) and they move on. My dog is with them, he likes to do that from time to time, allthough he mostly starts to hunt solo again after about half an hour.

12:03 PM: I can see a patch of grey moving in the thicket in front of me. The roedeer passes a small window where I can shoot and I whistle. It stops and only makes about 20 yards before expiring of a solid lung shot slightly behind the shoulder.

12:10 PM: I had just refilled my magazine as I can hear some rustling and a piglet comes out slightly to my right. He passes the creek and trots along the water on my side. He doesn´t notice me raising from my seat and as he passes behind a thick tree, I bring the gun to my shoulder. He flinches significantly at my shot and as I can see pink mist coming out of his lungs I decide not to shoot again. He tries to pass the creek again but never makes it to the other side as he expires in the little washout right in the middle of the "front" picture. I realise that this is for sure going to be one of the best (if not the best) hunts this year.

12:15 PM: As we say in germany, the best things are happening in the end. I look to my right and see a group of pigs trotting right along the creek in my direction. It´s a black about 1,5 year old hog around 90 lbs and some piglets of about 40 lbs. It is clear that they are just a part of a big sounder that got divided by beaters and dogs. I wait until I have a good angle (I don´t want it quartering too much as I don´t want to hit the intestines because of the angle) and settle the crosshairs on the black one. I hit it right in the base of the neck and it drops on the spot. The piglets scatter in all directions, as the one that I aim on suddenly stops behind a tree. The shoulder is hidden by the alder, but it´s head sticks out far enough. I quickly sit down to have a good rest and put the round right in the base of it´s ear.

12: 34 PM: A single roe doe passes in the thicket but I do not have a shot. This doesn´t bother me much, I really had my share today.

01:00 PM: Time to unload the rifle. As I make my way back to the car a young red stag comes running out of the creek bed around 200 yards from my stand. He would have been to big anyway. At the car, I wait for my buddy and order a trailer and some guys to help me drag the animals out. Then I pass the creek and start collecting. I have just finished gutting when my buddies show up to help me drag the game out. Before that, I manage to take a picture:

I get home at 6:00 PM and fall asleep on the couch at around 21:30 straight after dinner and a wheat beer :D
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Jaegerschnitzel1990 wrote:Yesterday paid out big time for me.
Nice hunt! How heavy was the big boar?
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

I did not weigh her, but it was a 1,5 year old sow with approx. 90 lbs (45kg).
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

I got my first kill with the bow today! Not a big one, but by far the most rewarding stalk I have ever done, much more satisfying than using a gun! A little far forward, but it double lunged it and punched through both shoulder blades. Super happy and the meat is hanging :)

XxStrong1xX
Outfitter

Post by XxStrong1xX »

TreeKiwi wrote:I got my first kill with the bow today! Not a big one, but by far the most rewarding stalk I have ever done, much more satisfying than using a gun! A little far forward, but it double lunged it and punched through both shoulder blades. Super happy and the meat is hanging :)
Congrats Mat!!! Nice work! :D

Playing off and on since 2010. My original forum profile https://forum.thehunter.com/memberlist. ... le&u=13071
lazygirl5
Spotter

Post by lazygirl5 »

TreeKiwi wrote:I got my first kill with the bow today! Not a big one, but by far the most rewarding stalk I have ever done, much more satisfying than using a gun! A little far forward, but it double lunged it and punched through both shoulder blades. Super happy and the meat is hanging :)
Awesome job Mat. Congrats! 8-)

Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

It's great to see your bow skills improve, Mat, but couldn't you have shot something else... something less cute? :cry:
Image Image Image
mapache01
Outfitter

Post by mapache01 »

Congrats!! nothing more satisfying than our first hunt with any new weapon that has more difficulties and new skills than the previous one.

WTG!
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Congratulations Matt! Nothing like taking the first one with a new bow and one you will always remember! :D
Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”