2018/2019

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
caliber420
Hunter

2018/2019

Post by caliber420 »

Well, boys. I'm back. It's been a long time no see! Ive been catching on the 2017/2018 thread and stoked to see your guys adventures this last season!!

Alas, we are in the midst of the new season. Turkey season is already going on in many states! I spent a week near Chama NM chasing birds and sleeping in my tent solo. Far away from anyone. I couldn't make it come together unfortunately, so I'll be back in my home turf chasing thunder chickens this coming week.

Big game.. I drew an awesome elk tag (the same one I killed the elk in my signature in). And I'm looking forward to September. Also drew a deer tag for a low success rate unit. All archery! Stoked!!!

What is your plans for this season? Will it be one to remember? I look forward to seeing all your adventures. I may not be posting a lot, but you guys know me. I'm lurking in the shadows! ;)

If you want to keep up with my adventures. Follow me at https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
https://www.instagram.com/stubborn_bowhunter/
“Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.”
Villkatta
Outfitter

Re: 2018/2019

Post by Villkatta »

Congratz getting that tag caliber! That's a small feature in itself.
Not sure how this season will turn out for me, I hope I'll get a couple of goose hunts during September/October,
and maybe some pigeons in August/September. This will be a busy year work-wise, so I'll just grab the opportunities as they come.

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Sounds like you've got a good year ahead of you. This fall I'll be going to college in the Upper Peninsula so I'll be hunting totally new ground. Not sure how much time I'll get to hunt, but I'm going to spend as much time as I can scouting on my days off. One nice thing about up there is that it's much easier to draw a bear tag. We'll see how it works out.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

My plans for this year are, well, all of them :P
Soon roe deer season for bucks and year-old-does will start (10 days, yay!) and I've already looked at some nice bucks.
Having discovered the fun and adrenaline in fox hunting last year, I will try to look into more of that starting August. Especially up close with the shotgun or Drilling is a real blast (literally).
Maybe I'll throw in some ducks and cormorants and maybe even egyptian geese in during fall.
The only real upland bird I'll chase after will be timberdoodle, since I just find them to be very interesting animals. The only problem is, that you only see them when you haven't got a shotgun barrel with you.
Of course there's always the wild boars, too. And they've been wreaking havoc the freshly sown fields. On April 28th there's a full moon again and I'll be trying my best to get my hunting buddy to his first boar.

I'm one lucky son of a gun, living right next to the woods and having the ability to go hunting whenever there's time. Heck, last year I shot a boar less than 200yds from my living room :D

Today I stalked after some small roebucks. Snuck up within 40 yards by crawling on all fours.
These two will live to see another day, though.

Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

MooseHunter330 wrote: The only real upland bird I'll chase after will be timberdoodle, since I just find them to be very interesting animals.
I had to look up Timberdoodle...the bird you mean is called woodcock over here ;)

It´s getting hard to find sleep now, only eight nights before the roe deer opener here in germany.

My plans for this season are basically the same plans as every season, allthough it may be pretty hard to top the last one which has been my best by far: Get out a lot, bring a lot home, always return home with a healthy dog during driven hunt season (and of course during the other months as well). If all of those plans work out I will be happy. I won´t get to hunt as much as in previous years during may because of my own marriage, but there are other things in life, too.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

MooseHunter330 wrote: I'm one lucky son of a gun, living right next to the woods and having the ability to go hunting whenever there's time. Heck, last year I shot a boar less than 200yds from my living room :D
Hopefully you dont take it for granted. I am in the same boat, 90% of my hunting is on my own land but I know I take it for granted all to often. I couldnt imagine living somewhere that I couldnt walk outside & hunt or shoot.

My own hunting plans this year are for varmints & coyotes through the summer. I applied for the elk lottery here in KY, hopefully I will get a tag. Then deer hunting in the fall with a bow & flintlock. I typically take 2 deer each year. Any more then that & it becomes to much work (I process them myself).

Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Well, opening day is finally here! :)

Saw two female roes this morning but it was too dark to tell if one of them was only one year old. The other one was definately mature, so no liver for me, yet.

We will see what the evening brings....or tomorrow morning...or tomorrow evening... :D
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Well, yesterday evening paid out for me. After two mature does (the ones I saw in the morning as well, I guess) this buck showed up:

I did not pay too much attention on his antlers before I shot. However, the buck is about twice as old as I thought he would be, being already over his peak and starting to reduce his antler weight.

This morning I sat on another stand, overlooking a beautiful meadow. It was pretty cold and it took some time for the sun to come out and the deer to move. At about 7:05 AM i spotted this buck stepping out of a hedge...the decision wasn´t too hard for me :D

Only five minutes later, i spotted another movement. Two young boars came trotting over the meadow, definately disturbed by my shot. Bad luck they took the wrong direction and passed my stand at about 80m, which made it easy to stop them by grunting and taking another shot.

Hope you guys are being as lucky as I am. I´m already on the move again ;)

Cheers
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Very nice! Waidmannsheil!
That second buck is quite a whopper. I bet you'll get some looks with a buck that nice!
I was hunting yesterday. Saw a young buck and some does. When it got dark I could see a buck way out at 200 yards.
Only had a 2.2-9x42 on my gun, so I couldn't see what he was, let alone take a shot. Maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow, maybe even take out the Swedish 6.5 and get real close.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Congrats! Looks like a great day in the woods, you should be very pleased!

Return to “The Great Outdoors”