2018/2019

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
james990
Outfitter

Re: 2018/2019

Post by james990 »

Went out sambar hunting for a week, last week. Managed two hinds myself, one mature and the other an adolescent, which is the perfect meat animal. My buddy also managed a young spikey which is also a great meat animal.

Sambar have incredible senses and there no doubt that I definitely spooked more than I saw. Also got honked at pretty much everyday, a familiar sound if you hunt them in game, however in real life it is a warning/alert call.

Other than the sambar, I saw a really nice Fallow Buck in an open paddock at 2pm in the afternoon, couldn't believe it. Had the gun but was talking loudly as we weren't expecting anything, anyway he disappeared into the thick and we couldn't find him. A buddy of mine also saw a couples fallow does run across a track in front of him that he was walking on.

Here are the picture of my two hinds

Mature Hind

Adolescent Hind

... and a nice view of the territory of North East Victoria

Freezers Full!
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Nice! And congrats.

Seems like your roasts and venison burgers are sorted out for summer!

It's really great to read hunting stories from all over the world here. One of the main reasons I keep coming back to the forums.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Knut wrote:Nice! And congrats.

It's really great to read hunting stories from all over the world here. One of the main reasons I keep coming back to the forums.
Holy smokes! You are still breathing? .... good to see you stop in man ;)
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

Old weed is hard to root out! :D
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
OfficialWaffles

Post by OfficialWaffles »

Good kills all, my main email account got hacked so I no longer have access to my forums account (Officialwafflez) but figured I would showcase my two turkeys from this year, one I killed before prom, one before a party. (I love living on the property I hunt lol)
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Nice animals, guys! I had some luck as well.
Yesterday I managed to shoot these two boars during the canola harvest.
Harvest hunting is pretty popular here, since it gives you a chance to thin out the boar population significantly without tedious night hunting.
These two exited the field along with three others. The first one I shot at around 130m. It fled a good 40m and then went down. The 196gr. bonded soft point from my 8x57JS hit it right behind the shoulder blade and pierced both lungs.
After a few minutes, my dad and our combine driver went up to the kill and I climbed off my stand to join them. When I got there, however, they told me that the small group had not gone far and was just behind the crest of a small hill.
We quickly forged a plan and they took the combine around the hill to flush them over to my side. I turned the scope down to 2x and took position. I saw the boars at the hilltop, but I could not shoot, since there was no backdrop for the bullet.
The combine driver moved back around the hill to give me a safe shot and I slowly moved towards my game. Suddenly I lost sight of them. They surely couldn't have just vanished, could they?
That's when they stood up - a good 30 yards away from me. I took aim and as the riflestock firmly embedded itsself in my shoulder I led the first boar. The shot broke and the boar dropped like a sack of potatoes.
The bullet had, as I would later find out, obliterated the cervical spine. I approached the downed boar with my rifle at the ready. For good measure, I put another round between the ears of the boar.
We loaded them on the combine's header and took them back to the car, so I could drive back to the farm and field(?) dress them. This is also when the picture was taken.

Don't laugh, the combine makes 'em look smaller ;) Both were around 65lbs.

Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

Nice! Congrats! Did a little bit of hunting this weekend and managed to put a dent in the predator population (one badger and three foxes). Even got a yearling roebuck that was already following his doe of choice. Good days to come!
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

@james990: Nice deer! Sambar is definately my "most wanted" deer species, along with whitetail
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

Knut wrote:Nice! And congrats.

Yeah definitely, the amount of meat on them is amazing. It's also the opposite down under at the moment and quite cold as its winter!
Jaegerschnitzel1990 wrote:@james990: Nice deer! Sambar is definately my "most wanted" deer species, along with whitetail
I highly recommend Sambar if you're up for a challenge!
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

A month has passed since, but I also got a very decent Roe.

He surprised me on my way home. In some high grass only the tips of the horns were showing, as the buck was hidden behind a little roller of the landscape, a mere 20m next to the road I was stalking. Nearly overlooked them.
As he couldn't see me, either, he made a few steps towards me and that's when I could see that it was definitely a keeper.
Luckily, I was ready when after a short flight he turned broadside to check me out again and I sent my leaden regards.
Only a few meters later he went down with a perfect heart shot.
He was some 5-7 years old and either did never have a good rack or had significantly reduced in size already. We either never knew him before or don't recognise him.
19 kg field dressed and plenty of fat under the skin. He was saving for mating season! Not too disappointed he won't pass those genes on this year.

Unfortunately, I was very stupid and managed to cut my own middle finger while field dressing him.
Nothing like walking into an ER with bloodstained hunting boots :D

Two stitches and a few weeks later, all is fine. But that was totally avoidable.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”