2018/2019

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
caledonianblues
Master Hunter

Re: 2018/2019

Post by caledonianblues »

Tod1d wrote:Mary Moon? ;)
Also an intellectual :)
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
Jaegerschnitzel1990 wrote:...would you therefore mind sending a pic of your wife first, before you go hiking? :lol:
:lol:

She's a vegetarian and it was hard enough for me to convince her that virtual hunting is acceptable. I doubt you would get along very well. ;)
Wait till she has bacon- does it every time :D
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

Quick update from the woods today:

Had a nice day on the highest mountain in the area (allthough it´s more of a big hill...however). About 40 hunters harvested a total of eleven red deer (one sixpoint stag is missing in the pic as he was found afterwards), four wildboar, nine roes and a fox.

Right after the start this yearling hind passed my stand. As I could see that no calf followed I was able to take her. Afterwards I saw three stags, but only one fitted into the regulations...that one was too far away though. The other two passed me at about 40 metres...

I forgot pictures of my stand...sorry about that.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Looks like a good hunt.

We got about 2 inches of fresh snow this morning so I went out this evening hoping that the snow would get the deer moving. I didn't see a single track. However, I still had plenty of excitement.
I was sitting by an old 2 track that borders a swamp and hardwoods. I was about 30 yards from the two track on the hardwoods side since the deer have been using an old logging road that cut up one of the valleys. As I was sitting there, I saw a shape move between some cedars. Although I've never seen one, I knew instantly what it was based on the way it was moving. A second shape drifting through confirmed it. A few seconds later a huge gray wolf trotted up onto the two track, followed by a smaller black wolf. I couldn't believe it! They both trotted down the road until they hit my trail where I walked in. Both of their noses went to the ground, then they both just stared in the direction that I had gone. They never saw me since I had circled around a bit, but it was kind of eerie just watching them, especially when the smaller one took a few steps following my tracks. They both turned though and kept trotting down the road out of sight. After they were gone I went and took some pictures of the tracks, which were huge! An awesome sunset capped off an exciting evening. No deer, but it was an awesome hunt!
Keep in mind I've got a big hand, and a bulky winter glove on as well in that picture!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Villkatta
Outfitter

Post by Villkatta »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Looks like a good hunt.

We got about 2 inches of fresh snow this morning so I went out this evening hoping that the snow would get the deer moving. I didn't see a single track. However, I still had plenty of excitement.
I was sitting by an old 2 track that borders a swamp and hardwoods. I was about 30 yards from the two track on the hardwoods side since the deer have been using an old logging road that cut up one of the valleys. As I was sitting there, I saw a shape move between some cedars. Although I've never seen one, I knew instantly what it was based on the way it was moving. A second shape drifting through confirmed it. A few seconds later a huge gray wolf trotted up onto the two track, followed by a smaller black wolf. I couldn't believe it! They both trotted down the road until they hit my trail where I walked in. Both of their noses went to the ground, then they both just stared in the direction that I had gone. They never saw me since I had circled around a bit, but it was kind of eerie just watching them, especially when the smaller one took a few steps following my tracks. They both turned though and kept trotting down the road out of sight. After they were gone I went and took some pictures of the tracks, which were huge! An awesome sunset capped off an exciting evening. No deer, but it was an awesome hunt!
Keep in mind I've got a big hand, and a bulky winter glove on as well in that picture!
Awesome story InstinctiveArcher! I bet you'll remember this hunt for a while!

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Villkatta wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Looks like a good hunt.

Awesome story InstinctiveArcher! I bet you'll remember this hunt for a while!
Absolutely! This is one I won't forget. Made for an exciting entry in the hunting journal!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
HooCairs
Champion Hunter

Post by HooCairs »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Image
Why not take a picture of the wolves? :P
My Youtube theHunter Wiki
Spoiler:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

HooCairs wrote:
After they left that was the first thing that went through my head. I pretty bummed about it because with that sunset in the background it would have been awesome! At the time I had both hands on my bow and was just trying to keep still. :lol:

gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

HooCairs wrote:
Sounds like taking pictures was the last thing on Trenton's mind when the Wolves found his scent trail where he walked across............. :lol:
The Wolves were probably trying to get his direction smelling his tracks so they could avoid him.
Having a sidearm along would probably make him feel safer but I don't know Michigan hunting regulations.
I guess Trenton can tell us if sidearms are legal while hunting with your hunting weapon?
Last edited by gas56 on October 21st, 2018, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

gas56 wrote: Sounds like taking pictures was the last thing on Trenton's mind when the Wolves found his scent trail where he walked across............. :lol:
The Wolves were probably trying to get his direction smelling his tracks so they could avoid him.
Having a sidearm along would probably make him feel safer but I don't know if Michigan allows a sidearm to be carried also with your hunting weapon.
I guess Trenton can tell us if it is.......
Yes, sidearms are legal here. You need to be 21 to have a concealed carry permit though. To be honest I never liked the idea of carrying a sidearm when bowhunting. Maybe it's the smart thing to do, but just isn't for me. I'm a better shot with a bow then a pistol anyways :lol:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”