2018/2019

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: 2018/2019

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Tanngnjostr wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:She thought I was going to skip the rut to go to the movies.
Depends on who's in rut! Sometimes it's worth watching a movie first. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe now. I was 16 at the time. It would have to be a REALLY good movie though :lol:
It would have to be a hunting movie,..
and BTW did you hear about the new deer hunting movie comedy called "The legacy of a Whitetail deer hunter"?
It's on Netflix right now,.. so I guess you'd have to watch it with a girl on the living room sofa...
but what better place than that.............. ;)
Here's the trailor.... make sure you turn full screen on....... :D
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

I have seen that one and enjoyed it tremendously.

But I wouldn't really call it a hunting movie -it's more a parody of hunting TV shows. But a brilliant one.
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

Knut wrote:I have seen that one and enjoyed it tremendously.

But I wouldn't really call it a hunting movie -it's more a parody of hunting TV shows. But a brilliant one.
I've been on the fence about watching it. Guess I gotta check it out now ;)
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Knut wrote:I have seen that one and enjoyed it tremendously.

I thought it was pretty much a hunting comedy movie about like a parody of hunting TV shows with all cut scenes included ...........:lol:
In other words it was pretty humorous.......... ;)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

I may have to check it out :lol:

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Tod1d
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Post by Tod1d »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:I may have to check it out :lol:
Don't expect Academy Award acting. It's really cheesy/campy.
It's "Tod", with one bloody 'd'!
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

That it is indeed!
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
Jaegerschnitzel1990
Spotter

Post by Jaegerschnitzel1990 »

If I get some free time, then I´ll go ahead and have a look at it!

In the meantime, something bigger than usual (allthough it really really is by far the worst spiker i´ve ever killed in august...they normally look like that in may)

Seifer
Hunter

Post by Seifer »

Watched "Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter" last night. I had mixed feelings about it but in the end I loved it :D
Spoiler:

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud ;) Mike (Seifer210) ♉
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Waidmannsheil, Jägerschnitzel! Red deer is definetely on my list of "want-to-hunt someday".
Meanwhile, I had another successful hunt in my search for yet another deer.

If you want to read my accounts in the fullest detail:
Spoiler:
Buck in a hurry

One of the things I like most about hunting is how quickly a situation can change. This was proven to me once again today.
The last weeks were very hot and dry here in Germany. We barely had any rain at all and since I don't much like breaking a sweat while sitting in my stand, I had to take a break from hunting.
Today, however, was different. A nice lukewarm day averaging around 17°C with a few clouds and a calm breeze here and there. Perfect seeing as I'm more of a fall-person.
I picked a Drückjagdbock (a small stand for shooting driven game) at a sugar beet field, embedded in the forest at 3 sides, with the other side continuing over a ridgeline into a valley.
With clover to the left and right of the stand, I was confident that there would be some activity. Of course I took my 8mm along- just for good measure.
My predictions were right, since a doe with two fawns - and later a single buck - disappeared into the forest when I came up through the woods behind the stand.
After I made myself comfortable on the sitting board, a single doe quickly entered the field together with her fawn and started feeding. In the following hour a few other deer showed themselves, but no males at all.
Then, all at once, all hell broke loose. Furious cracking and rustling on the opposite side of the field - about 100m away - clued me in that something was about to happen, when suddenly a roe deer exited the brush and rushed towards my side of the field.
A quick look with the binoculars and it was clear that he was a small spike buck, clearly a taker. After him came a fork buck, antlers about ear-high.
When the small buck reached the seam of clover at the edge of the woods, I let out a sharp whistle to get him to stop. Whistle or not- he stopped alright and I saw my window.
The rifle rested firmly on the wooden spar of the stand and the dot closed in on the deer, when it turned away from me. That's when I noticed my heart pounding once again - deer fever strikes again.
A few deep breaths later, the deer turned broadside once again. With calm nerves, I took aim and fired. The forest folk went quiet as the report of the 8x57 rang out.
After cycling quickly, I saw all deer, except the fork buck, making a run for it. My buck soared up high and then dropped in his tracks. After 5 minutes had passed and the other buck had disappeared, I walked up to my deer.
The bullet had struck behind the shoulder blade, hitting the heart and lungs and scratching the liver. He most likely did not hear the shot.
In short- today I took a small roe deer spike buck with my 8x57JS, I took the shot at 60 meters and hit lungs, heart and liver.
He came into view after being chased by a larger buck. Field dressed, he weighed in at 27lbs. The picture may not be the nicest, but it was pretty dark and the car provided lighting.

Last edited by MooseHunter330 on August 27th, 2018, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”