Real Life Taxidermy

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Real Life Taxidermy

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

How long does it generally take you to do a fish the size of one of those Muskie?

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:How long does it generally take you to do a fish the size of one of those Muskie?
Im not exactly sure, we have alot of other animals but probably around 2 months completely done
Nathan22Outdoors
INTIMID883R
Outfitter

Post by INTIMID883R »

Depends on the taxidermist and what you want done. A fiberglass replica could be done pretty short order, while a real skin mount could take much longer. It also depends on how popular the shop is that you take it to, and how elaborate you want to make the mount.

I caught a 10 lb 9 oz and a 15 lb Largemouth Bass in the same weekend, while living in Florida, and had them both mounted. Fish Finder Magazine paid for the mount, and chose One of their promoted taxidermist, and I waited almost a year.
Spoiler:
PS From the looks of your Fish Mounts, I wish I had know you back then.
Spoiler:
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Nathan112244 wrote:
BucksNBuffalo wrote:Damn! That IS some great work! Do you guys also do fish replicas? Like if the length and girth measurements were provided along with a couple of pictures, or do you guys just do straight taxidermy? I am curious because I plan on having a few fish mounted this year (replicas of course), and would be happy to talk to you guys about doin them.
Yes we do all kinds of fish, we also have molds for the world record largemouth,
here are some pics of fish (doesnt show off the world record largemouth):

A couple smallmouth painted but not fully mounted yet:

Male and Female rainbow trout:

Crappie mount and a largemouth mount:

Couple big muskie and far right (just tail showing) is a 78lb salmon
Wow! Very nice work!! I do plan on getting a Smallie done, I’ll get in touch with you via PM, maybe talk about prices per inch and any other details. I know you said you are in Ontario, I am in Buffalo, NY. If all details can work, I’d be happy to give you all my business.
Swampfox
Outfitter

Post by Swampfox »

Those are some beautiful mounts Nathan, everything I've seen you post are truly master-pieces of taxidermy craftsmanship! :D
Spoiler:
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

Swampfox wrote:Those are some beautiful mounts Nathan, everything I've seen you post are truly master-pieces of taxidermy craftsmanship! :D
Thankyou, i do alot of watching however the taxidermist doing all this has been doing it for over 40 years, worked at a museum mounting all kinda of animals,
by all kinds i really mean all kinds. He has a mold for a 16-18ft shark, african game, snakes and for where the shop is located (Ontario) we get stuff from everywhere..
in the fall we got these 2 whitetails sent to us to mount and send back all the way from Saskatchewan (nearly across the country).

Spoiler:
And keep this as a secret ;) he mounted a black bear he shot and scored the skull today.. new world record about to get officially scored
Current world record is 23 10/16 this one slaps it, he scored it (unofficially) infront of me and its a whopping 24.5 (give or take 1/8 inch)
Nathan22Outdoors
Nathan112244
Hunter

Post by Nathan112244 »

Would be cool to have the turkey and pheasant wall mounts like the duck wall mounts in the lodges.
Duck:
Turkey and Pheasant:
Nathan22Outdoors

Return to “The Great Outdoors”