IRL Red Fox family (video).

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
JimboCrow
Outfitter

Re: IRL Red Fox family (video).

Post by JimboCrow »

A real pleasure to watch. Thank you!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

walt133 wrote:
Fletchette wrote:Now for you....Go to Lowes, but some deck boards, put on your big boy pants, and do it yourself. It's a one day job at best for a 16x32 deck.
I just checked the price at Lowes, and 16' pressure treated deck boards are $11.88 /each. You'll need about 64 of them, so deck board cost is about $770. Throw in another $30 for deck screws and call it $800. A far cry from $10k.
This! Doing deck boards is not a difficult job. Grab a Dewalt drill and a square bit and some screws and start on it. Just make extra sure the boards you buy are actually treated. :D :mrgreen: You will definitely save big $$$ ;)
yeah... well it's a little more complicated than deck boards - It's tear out completely and start from grade with stairs, rails and much more, and have you priced composite lately??? :o
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Radamus wrote:yeah... well it's a little more complicated than deck boards - It's tear out completely and start from grade with stairs, rails and much more, and have you priced composite lately???
Ouch! Yes that would definitely make it more complicated. If you don't have the proper tools it is very difficult to rebuild from the ground up. Did you grab a couple different estimates? 10k sounds better now that I see what all is included, but it still is a fairly small deck. I bet you could get a better price. ;)
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

walt133 wrote:
Radamus wrote:yeah... well it's a little more complicated than deck boards - It's tear out completely and start from grade with stairs, rails and much more, and have you priced composite lately???
Ouch! Yes that would definitely make it more complicated. If you don't have the proper tools it is very difficult to rebuild from the ground up. Did you grab a couple different estimates? 10k sounds better now that I see what all is included, but it still is a fairly small deck. I bet you could get a better price. ;)
So your joists are rotten too? That's unusual, assuming they're treated they usually last forever if they're not in contact with the ground.

How high is the deck off the ground? Are the posts OK? How many steps? One side attached to the house?

Yeah, composite will double or even triple the cost of the deck boards, so assume about $2000. Here in Missouri I still use treated deck boards, but in Florida I used composite for the dock I built a few years ago because of the salt water. When cared for properly (sealed), the treated still lasts about as long as the composite and costs 1/3rd the price.

Don't know if there is a center beam, but assuming not and you have to span the 16' width with 2x10 joists, you're looking at another $700-$1000 for the structural lumber and joist hangers. A bit less if there is a center beam and you can use 2x8's instead.

So call it $2000 all in for treated decking, and $3000 for composite. Maybe another $500 for railing and stairs depending on how fancy you want to get.

How far are you from Ft. Wayne? I'm supposed to be there for my niece's graduation in May, so I'll load up the truck with tools and we'll knock this thing out in a weekend for a 1/4th to 1/3rd the price. Assuming you can swing a hammer, handle a screw gun, and run a saw. :?
Personal Bests...
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

Part of the issue, is unknown with condition of the header it's mounted to. The other is, when the morons built it they ran the stringers the easy way, not the right way so there's butt joints galore- So it's a start from scratch posts and all - and I was off, it's 12x34 - and since I only hold a 49% minority vote, not sure your aligned with the stars properly - and the contractor is married to our niece so once you add the intangibles, just tell me "Wow! What a great deal!" and be the supportive friends at a time like this :lol: - and believe me, this was a hot subject last fall when I flipped a lid over the estimate- SO she already did her justification study and I'm over it- I'm over all those negative waves :D

But Ft wayne, now you're getting close John! With an east wind you'll be able to smell the Buckeye's in bloom :D How long you going to be up there? I imagine a tight schedule probably? The bad part is, it's the heart of my busy season with planting time so I'm like 5 1/2 days a week at a screaming pace, it's actually picking up speed now. I can make FW a fuzz over an hour since they completed the rt 24 expressway all the way there. I haven't been on it since it was finished a couple years ago, no reason to go there - might even only be an hour to the outer loop.
Last edited by Radamus on March 30th, 2018, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
walt133
Hunter

Post by walt133 »

Radamus wrote:and since I only hold a 49% minority vote, not sure your aligned with the stars properly - and the contractor is married to our niece so once you add the intangibles, just tell me "Wow! What a great deal!" and be the supportive friends at a time like this -
Ahh I see. Great deal Len! Nice of them to give you the family rate! :lol: In all seriousness though, I am sure he does very good work. You could probably get the work done for 1500 bucks cheaper, but if you find someone with a quote even lower then that chances are that they use cheap materials and do shoddy work and then your wife would use you as a deck ornament. :P :mrgreen:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”