Fishing 2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Re: Fishing 2018

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Beautiful trout!

The suckers are really running heavily in the rivers right now. It almost doesn't feel like fishing since they bite so easy. Throw a gob of worms down, wait till they suck it up, pull them out and do it again. We got 27 between my brother and I in 30 minutes. We'll smoke a few but most are going to fertilize the garden.

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Fishing 2018

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

Nice Brookies!

Went out a couple of times with my cousin on Lake Erie, fishing for big bronzebacks (Smallmouth Bass), Walleye, and Northern Pike. No walleyes or Pike yet, but the Smallies sure were cooperating. Just a few highlights here for you guys, I hope the pics work as I am uploading from my phone [emoji3]

4.8lbs!

DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Nice pics , thx for sharing and grats .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

SoftShoe
Outfitter

Post by SoftShoe »

Looks like a great day on the lake, thanks for sharing!

stancomputerhunter
Trophy Hunter

Post by stancomputerhunter »

Whoa..nice ones, Chuck! Sometimes that Lake Erie is good for something! Or were you on Ontario? On either one, how do you know when you've crossed the border in to Canada?

Image Rares: 86 NTs: 29
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

stancomputerhunter wrote:Whoa..nice ones, Chuck! Sometimes that Lake Erie is good for something! Or were you on Ontario? On either one, how do you know when you've crossed the border in to Canada?
When your boat hits the ground.......... :lol:
Just kidding.

Nice fish Bnb,.. I haven't even made it out yet, but those fish start to inspire me that I should......
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:Beautiful trout!

The suckers are really running heavily in the rivers right now. It almost doesn't feel like fishing since they bite so easy. Throw a gob of worms down, wait till they suck it up, pull them out and do it again. We got 27 between my brother and I in 30 minutes. We'll smoke a few but most are going to fertilize the garden.
We used to spear suckers when I was a kid at night in the small tributaries off the lakes.
The old neighbor man that used to take us showed us the good creek spots and we would carry burlap bags and fill them up.
He liked to eat them a lot, and when cleaning them would use his fillet knife to cut the sides off, skin em, then slice lines lengthwise down the fillet so all the small bones
would crisp up when deep frying them. I quit going with him because he liked to eat more than his share that he caught, but I had to carry the bag around.
1 year I put a bunch of carp in the garden pretty early in the spring and when it came time to plow it up man did those fish stink..............
I haven't done that since remembering that rotten smell.........whew......... :lol:
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

gas56 wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:Beautiful trout!

We used to spear suckers when I was a kid at night in the small tributaries off the lakes.
The old neighbor man that used to take us showed us the good creek spots and we would carry burlap bags and fill them up.
He liked to eat them a lot, and when cleaning them would use his fillet knife to cut the sides off, skin em, then slice lines lengthwise down the fillet so all the small bones
would crisp up when deep frying them. I quit going with him because he liked to eat more than his share that he caught, but I had to carry the bag around.
1 year I put a bunch of carp in the garden pretty early in the spring and when it came time to plow it up man did those fish stink..............
I haven't done that since remembering that rotten smell.........whew......... :lol:
There were some little kids there who were whittling their own little spears and having a blast. They didn't have barbs so whatever they speared they had to pin to the ground so it didn't get off. Got a kick out of watching them.
Suckers stink after a bit in the ground and I always see an increase in skunk and raccoon activity which means time to get the .22 out :lol:

Looks like you had a great day on the water Chuck! :)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:Nice Brookies!

Went out a couple of times with my cousin on Lake Erie, fishing for big bronzebacks (Smallmouth Bass), Walleye, and Northern Pike. No walleyes or Pike yet, but the Smallies sure were cooperating. Just a few highlights here for you guys, I hope the pics work as I am uploading from my phone [emoji3]
Nice smallies. man. Did you catch the spawn?
I have never had the opportunity to fish Erie although I have fished lake Ontario and lake Champlain many times.
Spoiler:
BucksNBuffalo
Master Hunter

Post by BucksNBuffalo »

RidgeBack69 wrote:
BucksNBuffalo wrote:Nice Brookies!

Nice smallies. man. Did you catch the spawn?
I have never had the opportunity to fish Erie although I have fished lake Ontario and lake Champlain many times.
Not yet. They haven’t started spawning as of yet. Right now they are fattening up, pre-spawn you know? I try to leave em alone when they are spawning in the harbors. Sure, I’ll catch a few but it’s a quick release. Don’t want them off their nests too long because sometimes they take a bit to go back to it and by that time, panfish and stupid gobies could have came in and taken advantage of the opportunity by then. Have certainly seen it happen.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”