Fishing 2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Re: Fishing 2018

Post by RidgeBack69 »

BucksNBuffalo wrote:
RidgeBack69 wrote:
BucksNBuffalo wrote:Nice Brookies!

Went out a couple of times with my cousin on Lake Erie, fishing for big bronzebacks (Smallmouth Bass), Walleye, and Northern Pike. No walleyes or Pike yet, but the Smallies sure were cooperating. Just a few highlights here for you guys, I hope the pics work as I am uploading from my phone [emoji3]
Nice smallies. man. Did you catch the spawn?
I have never had the opportunity to fish Erie although I have fished lake Ontario and lake Champlain many times.
Not yet. They haven’t started spawning as of yet. Right now they are fattening up, pre-spawn you know? I try to leave em alone when they are spawning in the harbors. Sure, I’ll catch a few but it’s a quick release. Don’t want them off their nests too long because sometimes they take a bit to go back to it and by that time, panfish and stupid gobies could have came in and taken advantage of the opportunity by then. Have certainly seen it happen.
I do know about pre-spawn :!: :lol: I would think spawning should start within a week for smallies
Spoiler:
Jack.Grave
Outfitter

Post by Jack.Grave »

I went to do some "Urban" fishing yesterday. I was fishing at Prague largest park at old channell of Vltava river called Little river. I would say it quite uneasy water full of fallen branches and huge mud deposits on the bottom, also unfortunately earlier that day gardeners were cutting grass there, so water surface were full of freshly cut grass. But contrary it was quite good fishing day, I have caught (and released ofc) 8 common breams sized between 20 - 35 cm (8" -14") and 4 common rudds sized about 15 cm (6") also lost one chub (about 30 cm/12") and one tench sized around 35 cm/14" (that one fell off the hook some 2 meters from the bank). Also seen a million mallards, few common moorhen and seen quite big pike chasing small fry. I would guess that pike is about 3 ft long (unfortunately pike season remain closed untill 16.6.).

Equpment used:
Rod: WFT Ghotsrider Match rod 390 cm/13' (3 piece) as I can say very fine and sensitive rod, with very good value for money, bougt it at discount for some 50 Eur (roughly 60 USD). Medium power and x-fast tippy action (just lovely rod in my books). Test weights 3-20 gms.

Reel: Vintage TOKOZ MK100 (licence made Ryobi MX30) made around 1985. Gear ratio 4.6:1. Its one of those simple all metal reels made from real aluminium and bronze internal parts with steel main axle with single ball bearing.

Line and leader: Main line Awa-shima Ion Power fluorine coated match line dia 0.202 mm (test 5.4kgs/11.9 lbs but my guess is way lower knot strenght about 3.7 kgs/8.16 lbs). Leader: 0.14 Asso Ultra Fluoro leader (about 3 kgs/7 lbs knot strenght).

Float: Drennan Loaded carp crystal waggler 3 gms (2.5 gms on float 2x 0.25 gms split shots on line) fixed on main line with adaptor aproximate depth 2 m/7'

Hook and bait: Colmic Nuclear #12 and maggots (coloured from fishing tackle store).

No pictures taken, cuase my phone refuse to cooperate. Jack
james990
Outfitter

Post by james990 »

Squid (Calamari) Fishing is quite popular down here in Melbourne. Very different to all other types of fishing. Involves casting, working and retrieving a squid jig. Great fun.

JamboWhoDat
Hunter

Post by JamboWhoDat »

Decided to have a little fun in the sun with friends off the Texas gulf coast.
RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

JamboWhoDat wrote:Decided to have a little fun in the sun with friends off the Texas gulf coast.
Looks like you had some fun on the flats.
Spoiler:
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

Shame on you guys for catching Sharks .

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

RidgeBack69
Outfitter

Post by RidgeBack69 »

Shark fishing is fun. Twice the fun if you use live cats for bait. :lol: :lol:
Spoiler:
Just kidding about the cats. LOL
Spoiler:
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

james990 wrote:Squid (Calamari) Fishing is quite popular down here in Melbourne. Very different to all other types of fishing. Involves casting, working and retrieving a squid jig. Great fun.
Bar-b-q Squid on a stick and beer,... ahhhhhh that's very good!
Last edited by gas56 on June 3rd, 2018, 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DYEUZ
Trophy Hunter

Post by DYEUZ »

RidgeBack69 wrote:Shark fishing is fun. Twice the fun if you use live cats for bait. :lol: :lol:
Spoiler:
Just kidding about the cats. LOL

:lol: :lol:

BCKidd's 2019 COMMUNITY COMPS SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP
FIRST PLACE
MASTER HUNTER TROPHY

InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Looks like a lot of fun. I caught a small shark in Florida once when surf fishing. That was exciting. That calamari looks good!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda

Return to “The Great Outdoors”