Ammunition Reloading

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
gas56
Outfitter

Re: Ammunition Reloading

Post by gas56 »

SoftShoe wrote:
gas56 wrote: Before these were used, years ago we use to even look down through the barrel with the bolt off, and that can give you an Idea where to start to see where the iron sights should be adjusted.
Years ago? I still do this :P
Only us old timers................. :lol:
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

gas56 wrote:
SoftShoe wrote:
gas56 wrote: Before these were used, years ago we use to even look down through the barrel with the bolt off, and that can give you an Idea where to start to see where the iron sights should be adjusted.
Years ago? I still do this :P
Only us old timers................. :lol:
Let em laugh- it actually works good enough to get you on the paper - First thing I do mounting a new scope out of the box, saves ammo. A bore laser works good too. I have a couple pen types and one to mess with the dog that have worked good enough in the past.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Schrider

Post by Schrider »

having a 92/96 krag jorgensen in 30-40 myself, and having had terrible issues with accuracy with factory 30-40 ammo, i finaly slugged my bore and found that it was oversized - something that can happen on older military rifles, if you havent found a solution to your POI being high, i'd look at slugging the bore and seeing if going with cast bullets to match (go a little low on the loading, something like ~25-28 gr of IMR 3031 for example, to keep the velocity under 2000 ft/s) or looking at potentialy loading .312 diameter bullets ment for .303's instead of .308 diameter bullets, if your bore is .310-.312 after being slugged.

edit, forgot to mention that if you havent found your shell holder, shell holders suitable for .303 will work for 30-40 krag, as .303 is the parent cartridge, and 30-40 brass can be formed from .303 brass

Return to “The Great Outdoors”