I have a new rifle.

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Violator31
Outfitter

Re: I have a new rifle.

Post by Violator31 »

Radamus wrote:
MooseHunter330 wrote:If you want to go individualist, the Nylon 66 is pretty exotic.
(I know it's a Remington, but it's from their good days ;) )
That's amazing only because I have a Nylon 77 Apache (if memory is correct, 66 was a tube feed and 77 is a clip- the only diff) ~ the most reliable and cheapest .22 ever molded almost entirely from plastics- I still have it in my shop, covered in dirt and grime from 100's of wood metal and fiberglass projects- It's still dead on and I haven't adjusted the sights since 1987 :lol:
ah, the Nylon 66. 8-) Literally thousands of rounds put through mine. An old friend of mine had one & I loved it. When I found out what it cost him, I had my own within a week or so. That is one fun little gun.
Yes, the "66" is tube fed.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

MooseHunter330 wrote:As you could have propably guessed, I am now the owner of a wonderful new bolt-action repeating rifle.
Stunning looking gun! And the Heym SR21 has a great action and system. Congrats!
I love the wooden ball end on the bolt.

But I have one little question:
MooseHunter330 wrote:It has an especially flat pistol grip
Why would one want that?
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

I like the flat pistol grip and stock shape, because my go-to shotgun's stock (a Merkel 201e) shaped similarly.
For quick and intuitive aiming I find that this suits me best. Also- and you may stone me for this- it looks cool :P
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Knut
Outfitter

Post by Knut »

MooseHunter330 wrote:Also- and you may stone me for this- it looks cool :P
Not at all, I am totally with you there! It's an awesome look, the lines are extremely elegant and very classic.

It reminds me a lot of the old Mannlicher Schönauer 98er of my grandfather, that my father is using. I've been shooting with it a bit, too. But I hate the flat pistol grip while shooting with a scope.

I have a Bergstutzen with a double shotgun exchange barrel. Due to it being also shafted for being used as a shotgun, it also has a rather flat pistol grip. I hate it. Can't pull the gun well into my shoulder while keeping my hand relaxed. As a result, I don't shoot all too well with it.
My brush gun has an old military stock with hardly any pistol grip. Here I don't mind that much, as I use it only for blood tracking and driven hunts.
But I'd never willingly choose a flat pistol grip for a rifle.

(You can find more details about my guns here, if you're interested: http://forum.thehunter.com/viewtopic.ph ... 5r#p590581)
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" ― Isaac Asimov
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

You have nice guns. The stock thing has always been sort of intriguing.
When we shot clay pigeons in our hunting school, someone urged me to try a shotgun they really liked.
Long story short: I missed 5 out of 5, hit a lucky one and missed the other 4. Also knocked my cheek up pretty well.
From that point on, I knew what my dad always means when he says "Before you buy a gun, handle it and decide then".
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”