I have a new rifle.

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Radamus
Master Hunter

Re: I have a new rifle.

Post by Radamus »

Super nice all around- Beautiful glass and awesome mounts- Amazing wood too.
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:
Jack.Grave
Outfitter

Post by Jack.Grave »

Congratulations MooseHunter330 that is suprisingly beatifull rifle. Honestly I never thought that German gunsmith is capable made Mauser action rifle in John Rigby & co. style. Few questions: wood on stock is standart quality or upgraded quality? Barrel is tandart profile or heavy profile (18 mm at muzzle end)? And last question 55 cm (22") barrel lenght or shortened to 50 cm (20")? And how long was was due delivery as I see plenty of custom (not in catalogue) options. Enjoy upcoming years with such beaty rifle. Jack
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

Jack.Grave wrote:Congratulations MooseHunter330 that is suprisingly beatifull rifle. Honestly I never thought that German gunsmith is capable made Mauser action rifle in John Rigby & co. style. Few questions: wood on stock is standart quality or upgraded quality? Barrel is tandart profile or heavy profile (18 mm at muzzle end)? And last question 55 cm (22") barrel lenght or shortened to 50 cm (20")? And how long was was due delivery as I see plenty of custom (not in catalogue) options. Enjoy upcoming years with such beaty rifle. Jack
First off- thank you. The wood on the stock is upgraded from standard (Class 3) to Semi-Luxurious (Class 5). Personally, I find it just right: Being elegant, while staying grounded. The barrel is 16mm in diameter and 60cm (24") in length.
As for your last question- I waited some time, as I ordered it mid-june. The long delivery time being due to the stockmaker being overloaded with orders. I was lucky, though, as the barrel and action were already bored and blued, when I ordered it.
Otherwise, they would have needed 2 more months due to a lot of orders, as said before.
And I will make sure, that this one stays in the family :)
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

that rifle is a beaut.. i got my first powder rifle this week but with a few more headaches and without the happy ending. im in the process of getting my shotgun licence and F.A.C and my local gun range will let me pay 99.9% of the cost of a rifle , keep in in their safe and let me use it but i technically dont own it until i get my licence and pay that 0.01%. Anyways just for something to play with and plink with instead of renting the club guns until i can go hunting i seen on the racks a clean little Remington 597 for a decent price. Turns out the things stovepipe after every round even with expensive ammo. i went and did my research and it turns out they are reliable if you fit it with a 3rd generation mag, after market extractor and hammer and keep the rails the bolt runs on graphited and to the perfect tension(to loose they fall out, to tight they buckle and squeeze the bolt). Should of gave up their but i enjoy tinkering and customising stuff so why not. put a scope on it and instantly noticed the dovetail on the receiver didn't line up with the barrel. i just handed it back to the dealer at the club for a refund. I give up at having to drill and tap just to get parts to line up. first and last run in with Remington. I told my girlfriend and she said "yeah i had a Remington hair dryer and that got really hot and used to crackle at the plug. probably more dangerous than that rifle" :D that had me in a kink.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

You should try Voere. They build an interesting little .22 with either an integral suppressor or a carbon barrel.
Quite affordable, too. My dad has a Voere .22lr (With a traditional wooden stock, though) and it runs wonderfully.
And since you're in Britain, even the suppressor wouldn't pose a problem.
http://voere.de/en/rifle-technology/voe ... ction.html
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

thats a nice rifle but for 600 euros before import i could get a used anschutz 1416 or sako finnfire. im more looking for somthing robust, semi auto and cheap to abuse at the range. just avoiding the ruger 10/22 and marlin as they feel dinky in my hands and everyone's got one. might just have to join the millions as its popular for a reason right.
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

If you want to go individualist, the Nylon 66 is pretty exotic.
(I know it's a Remington, but it's from their good days ;) )
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

MooseHunter330 wrote:If you want to go individualist, the Nylon 66 is pretty exotic.

yeah a guy at the club has one. i loike the shotgun look but a dovetail that is part of a stamped receiver just seems like im destine to relive the agro of a remington barrel not pointing in the same direction as the scope.

anyways. im derailin your thread mate. that is one clean looking rifle i hope you shhot form a leather armchair infront of a nice warm fire. that peice of art is far to good to be taken outside and risk getting touched by mud or blood and inevitably scratched doing somthing as daft as hunting with it
edit: as it turns out the reciver is plastic not even stamped metal(glaringly obvious now looking at the name) i cant imagine a 25 year old plastic rifle minimum will hold out like a steel one.
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

MooseHunter330 wrote:Thanks, everyone! I hope to give it a try later today. Maybe I'll have something to post.

@Baloo: The rifle weighs 3.6kg, about 7.2 pounds. The straight stock does a ton in terms of recoil management.
hmm very light, would make a very nice mountain rifle for sheep, elk, etc.
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
Radamus
Master Hunter

Post by Radamus »

MooseHunter330 wrote:If you want to go individualist, the Nylon 66 is pretty exotic.
That's amazing only because I have a Nylon 77 Apache (if memory is correct, 66 was a tube feed and 77 is a clip- the only diff) ~ the most reliable and cheapest .22 ever molded almost entirely from plastics- I still have it in my shop, covered in dirt and grime from 100's of wood metal and fiberglass projects- It's still dead on and I haven't adjusted the sights since 1987 :lol:
"Out of all competitors, Radamus was the only one who got it I think" - BCKidd
"Ugh, I absolutely hate the thought that Radamus is right about this and I was wrong...!!!" Splainin2do
I can't afford a swear jar - xOEDragon
Spoiler:

Return to “The Great Outdoors”