Any photographers here?

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Any photographers here?

Post by DarkHunterXX »

Hey there,

I was asking myself if there are hobby or/and professional photographers active on this forum.
if so, i'm intrested in others work and what kind of gear you use.

Myself starting my hobby a few years back.
I did always go to a particular nature reserve named "De hoge veluwe" in the Netherlands.
I saw a lot of photographers there to photograph deer and hogs etc. they all had very expensive gear and i found it really awesome.
So after some search on google i bought my first compact camera. It had a amazing zoom and it was very fun to use. Later i wanted to get more out of my photo's so decided to buy a DSLR, a budget one. The D3300 it was :) it came with a 18-105 lens with a variable apeture from 3.5-5.6. Later i bought a 35mm 1.8G lens because i started doing some portraits shoots aswell. But i noticed that 35mm wasn't really the good focal length (even on a aps-c crop sensor) so i bought a 50mm 1.8G aswell.
After some time i bought a Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 lens which i very sharp at specific focal lengts and apetures.
I also bought extension tubes which i use in combination with my 50mm lens. I can get very very close to bugs and other small details on flowers etc.

Nowadays if i go out for a walk i never leave my camera at home. i also got a photoshoot like once a month which is really fun to do.
At all trips to a zoo for example or on holiday i always take a camera with me and i love it!
Making pictures, checking them later on my laptop and edit them in Lightroom and for some special photo's which are outstanding in my opinion i use photoshop to make them even better :).

That's how i got into photography and how i fill my days when i have nothing to do ;).
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Re: Any photographers here?

Post by Tanngnjostr »

I'm a bit of a hobby photographer too. Using a Canon EOS 80D with two ugly lenses: 18-55mm with F/3.5-5.6 and 55-250mm with F/4.0-5.6, so nothing spectacular.

There are two old threads with a few pictures I took. This one (check the spoilers) and this one which includes pictures from a hiking trip on the Isle of Skye, but the latter ones were taken with a cheap DSLM.
Image Image Image
Hifisch
Scout

Post by Hifisch »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I'm a bit of a hobby photographer too.
Same! I mainly use my Canon 1200D with the delivered Standart-Objective. However, personally, I'm more a fan of moving pictures, therefore film making.
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

Tanngnjostr wrote:I'm a bit of a hobby photographer too. Using a Canon EOS 80D with two ugly lenses: 18-55mm with F/3.5-5.6 and 55-250mm with F/4.0-5.6, so nothing spectacular.

There are two old threads with a few pictures I took. This one (check the spoilers) and this one which includes pictures from a hiking trip on the Isle of Skye, but the latter ones were taken with a cheap DSLM.
You have a great camera and the lenses you use are not bad at all! just because they are (relative to other gear) cheap doesn't mean you can't get great results ;)
The pictures you took on your trip are nice ones! i really like some of the compositions.

Personally i like to upload all my photo's to flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcdegraaf98/

Do you go often on those trips?
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

Hifisch wrote:
Same! I mainly use my Canon 1200D with the delivered Standart-Objective. However, personally, I'm more a fan of moving pictures, therefore film making.

That's great, what kind of things do you photograph or film?
Violator31
Outfitter

Post by Violator31 »

When I was about 14 I saved up my money & bought a Kodak Instamatic camera & I was hooked. Then back in the late 70's early 80's my Cousin had a 35mm SLR & I was extremely jealous. Still being in High School with very little income, I was begging my parents for a camera every birthday & Christmas. Then I received a Canon AE1 as a graduation gift. When digital cameras came along, I went thru a few of the cheaper point & shoot models before finally buying a DSLR. I'm on my 2nd one now, it's a Canon 70D. I have 4 lens' but nothing expensive or fancy. I do have the extension tubes also. They are a lot of fun. A couple of years ago I received a quality flash. That is a lot of fun as well. I love doing the off-camera flash photos.
I have taken photos for High School Class Reunions 8 or 10 different times now. I pick out the best photos, edit them a little, then use them to create a slideshow with a soundtrack. They have been very happy with the results.
Depending on the weather & where I am going, I will sometimes take my camera along when I go hunting. It's bulky & I worry about damaging it, so I am very protective & it makes me uneasy all the while. I keep saying that I want to go into the woods before bow season a few times for the sloe purpose of taking photos, but I HATE mosquitoes & the woods are full of them of course.
I love tinkering around with Photoshop. I'm amazed at what the average Joe is able to do with such a powerful program.
For the last 40+ years everyone has known that I always have a camera close by if they need a photo of something. Back in December I stumbled over a ton of pictures I took back in 82-86 of the group of guys that I was always with. I shared them on Facebook. In January, at 52, one of my best friends died. At the funeral home his Wife & Daughter told me that he was overjoyed with those photos. He had a lot of fun telling them all of the stories that went along with the photos. That felt good to hear.
Signature Stats
Spoiler:
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

DarkHunterXX wrote:The pictures you took on your trip are nice ones! i really like some of the compositions.
Thanks. I checked your Flickr account and there's some really nice stuff in there. Kudos!
DarkHunterXX wrote:Do you go often on those trips?
Trying to go on at least one hiking trip each year, but it should be more often. Nothing is as relaxing as walking until feet and back hurt! ;)
Image Image Image
Hifisch
Scout

Post by Hifisch »

DarkHunterXX wrote:
Hifisch wrote:

Mostly landscapes & wild life (if I manage to see it) :)
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

Hifisch wrote:
DarkHunterXX wrote:
Hifisch wrote: Same! I mainly use my Canon 1200D with the delivered Standart-Objective. However, personally, I'm more a fan of moving pictures, therefore film making.

Mostly landscapes & wild life (if I manage to see it) :)

That's cool, have you some work online so i could check?
I had a lucky day today because i saw a eagle very close and got a great photo out of it.
It could be better if i didn't had so much backlight because it was really hard to expose now.

Check it out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/marcdegra ... ed-public/
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

Tanngnjostr wrote:
DarkHunterXX wrote:The pictures you took on your trip are nice ones! i really like some of the compositions.
Thanks. I checked your Flickr account and there's some really nice stuff in there. Kudos!
DarkHunterXX wrote:Do you go often on those trips?
Trying to go on at least one hiking trip each year, but it should be more often. Nothing is as relaxing as walking until feet and back hurt! ;)

Thanks that you like my photo's.

Yeah i know the feeling. walking around with a camera and try to get some cool shots! A lot of the times i go with my sister(s) or parent(s) but they aren't so fanatic as me, but i could walk for hours. ;)
Maybe in a few months when i will get my driver license i can get on some more trips myself.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”