Any photographers here?

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Re: Any photographers here?

Post by Hawkeye »

DarkHunterXX wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Weddings just weren't my style really. I did several of them, and the money's great to pay for your equipment, but it wasn't my passion. I do enjoy working with models though, and wouldn't hesitate to do that more often. Macro & nature is just so much fun though as a hobby, and I enjoy doing both when I can get out. Here's my Flickr if you want to see some stuff. It looks like we have some similar interests judging by your page. You have some really nice work there. I like the close-ups of eagles and the backlit mushrooms.

The 105mm is also a fantastic portrait lens, so I use the smaller depth of field (2.8) for that. The lens actually won't even allow you to use 2.8 when you're focusing in close, so isn't used for real macro shots. As you correctly point out, the depth of field would just be too small at 1:1. I absolutely love the d7200. Next on the list is the 70-200 f2.8. I had the Canon version before I switched to Nikon, and have been able to rent the Nikon version a couple of times. I have a lot of experience with it, but it's just hard to justify the cost right now.

Here is a thread on Arkansas Elk for some of my elk shots this past year. It's almost time to start going back out there. I had to rent a good lens with some reach, so will probably do the same again.

We really have some similar intrests indeed , you have great macro photo's on your photostream. I also like some of the portraits :). (thanks for the follow).
Yeah the 70-200 2.8 is a beast of a lens and also great for portait, i would love to test that lens someday haha.
Why did you switch to Nikon, most professionals use Canon (not that ur not professional ;).

Also awesome Elk photo's! i go almost every year to "De Veluwe" where i can find red stags, the sound they make is just so beatifull and it really gives me a Adrenaline boost!
i'm at the moment in "Drente" which is on the north of the Netherlands. Yesterday i was walking there with my parents in some forest and saw a few deers, didn't get any photo of it unfortunately but today we drove next to the forest and i could see some deers walking, so tomorrow i will defintely check that out and hopefully get some shots of it.
I had to sell off all of my photography gear a few years ago, and I used Canon back then. I used to do a lot of football games from the sidelines, so I like Canon's camera body for the fast frames. When I was able to start reacquiring some gear, I knew I wasn't going to photograph sports anymore, so I had different priorities. I was a huge fan of how Nikon's d7200 handled high ISO situations and always preferred their lens lineup for landscape stuff, so that's the route I went. I also didn't want to carry white lenses around anymore, lol. You'd be surprised how much attention those things draw.
Granti
Hunter

Post by Granti »

great pics, hawkeye

im photographing professional; but mostly politics (image and press)

using canons 5d mk3 and besides both canon zoom lenses 24-70 and 70-200mm i use mostly the new sigma art lenses like the 35mm/50mm 1:1.4

here are some shots that happend by accident or on vacation

roe deer (no good score)

eagle

hummingbird

edit: website is down
JK_ElkHunter
Outfitter

Post by JK_ElkHunter »

I don't have this pictures on super high res but they still look plenty good. This was on a trip I did with my family to Kenya and Tanzania this summer.

I have plenty more but not in my computer at this time. Haven't transferred them yet.
Spoiler:

Columbo
Tracker

Post by Columbo »

Did someone mention photographing??? :P

Nice images here folks, it´s always nice to see different kind of nature and animals than what´s available here in Finland.

I´ve been photographing for years, started dsrl-shooting around 2006 when I bought a Nikon D80. These days I´m using Nikon D7000 and quite a many lenses (read too many). I used to go shooting landscapes and animals, but lately I´ve been more into atmospheric phenomenon (halos, northern lights, starry skies etc.). Haven´t been too active though, but I´m eagerly waiting for the darkening nights to go and enjoy the views they´ll bring along. I even bought a Samyang 16/2 lens during summer to get more out of the upcoming night time shootings.

I have a gallery with some of my pics during years, so here you are: https://lasun.kuvat.fi/kuvat/
kahuamp
Scout

Post by kahuamp »

I enjoy photography as a side activity for when I go hiking, fishing or exploring new areas.
I got a Samsung NX300 a few years back, for it being compact and light, with an APSC sensor and nice lenses.( an 18-55 and a 16-50, both 3.5-5.6) Downside to it is battery life and lack of a viewfinder, the screen drains battery quickly.

Image quality is good, but the company has stopped producing cameras, so no more support, updates etc....now I regret not having bought a Nikon or Canon, but I have to make the best of what I got.
Thank god for Lightroom :lol: :lol:
Here's some of my better shots
Columbo
Tracker

Post by Columbo »

Couple of aurora shots from wednesday night. It´s been rather rainy all week long, so it was a nice surprise to get almost clear skies for a little moment. Auroras being pretty active at the moment (by forecasts and data), but clouds are back again :(
DarkHunterXX
Scout

Post by DarkHunterXX »

That are awesome photo's guys!
Rly like them :0
Photographer of the world, and playing this awesome game ;) :D Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDOkC ... Gz49JctvnA
Columbo
Tracker

Post by Columbo »

Thanks mate, in case it´s my photos you liked ;)
Columbo
Tracker

Post by Columbo »

Well, not too much action in this thread :)
I´ll share "a couple" of new ones from the summer and autumn anyways...

Went after the total lunar eclipse on july. The weather wasn´t the best possible as the clouds were covering the horizon. I drove quite far from my home to get away from the clouds, but they were still there blocking the view. The place was quite crowded at the beginning of the event, but most of the people just got bored watching nothing else but the clouds. Finally the moon showed up, and boy was it just barely visible. It was nice to watch the different phases and the moon slowly getting brighter.
On my holidays I also spent a couple of nights photographing noctilucent clouds. These clouds are present only in summer in the high athmosphere (around 80 kilometers high), as the usual clouds only rise to around 10 kilometers. It´s nice to watch the bright NLC´s in the middle of darkening nights.
Finally a couple of shots from the last weeks auroras. It was nice to see a display this active at my latitude, not everyday stuff here. Spent a couple of hours waiting and got a decent reward...
Thanks for watching :D
Tanngnjostr
Master Hunter

Post by Tanngnjostr »

Nice photos, Columbo! The one with the wooden walkway is incredibly good!
Image Image Image

Return to “The Great Outdoors”