my biggest bass of the year so far

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
jdogg420
Scout

my biggest bass of the year so far

Post by jdogg420 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6FQTRojY0
i havent played the hunter for awhile now. but i been hitting the banks hard for a year now. started at the lagoon here for 6 months. castaic lake california.
then moved to the upper lake for the past 6 months my rookie year is about over. but i learned a lot shore banging here. im trying for a 12#+ lmb from here.
so still out trying for a biggie. i just been putting some of my sessions on youtube if i take out the gopro. its pressured here so ya one full month last summer
i went out every night for a few hours for a month straight. at end of month i got around 30 fish. some skunk nights some catching multiples. saw a few lunks
of the lake full breach also. anyways i miss thehunter but im addicted to fishing right now.
the video was right after a trout plant and before the bass had eggs. i got kinda screwed here during spawn. we got lots of rain in northern cali and snowpack.
the lake dropped down like 10 feet or so right when i was noticing eggs in fish. the fish went deep. then the water raised 15+ feet still rising. lake is basically
full brim now. i havent caught any bigs lately and the decent ones ive caught seem to be males really healthy but no eggs and not skinny like spawned out.
im not sure if spawn is done or not. but ya basically if im not working and can get to the lake thats where im at lol. cyall.
officialwafflez
Hunter

Re: my biggest bass of the year so far

Post by officialwafflez »

You need to be throwing a BIG emphasis on BIG Swimbait when they plant trout. YOU will not get many bites but they will be big.
ingame name is BryanTheHunter
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

jdogg420 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6FQTRojY0
i havent played the hunter for awhile now. but i been hitting the banks hard for a year now. started at the lagoon here for 6 months. castaic lake california.
then moved to the upper lake for the past 6 months my rookie year is about over. but i learned a lot shore banging here. im trying for a 12#+ lmb from here.
so still out trying for a biggie. i just been putting some of my sessions on youtube if i take out the gopro. its pressured here so ya one full month last summer
i went out every night for a few hours for a month straight. at end of month i got around 30 fish. some skunk nights some catching multiples. saw a few lunks
of the lake full breach also. anyways i miss thehunter but im addicted to fishing right now.
the video was right after a trout plant and before the bass had eggs. i got kinda screwed here during spawn. we got lots of rain in northern cali and snowpack.
the lake dropped down like 10 feet or so right when i was noticing eggs in fish. the fish went deep. then the water raised 15+ feet still rising. lake is basically
full brim now. i havent caught any bigs lately and the decent ones ive caught seem to be males really healthy but no eggs and not skinny like spawned out.
im not sure if spawn is done or not. but ya basically if im not working and can get to the lake thats where im at lol. cyall.
Castaic lake has some of the best Florida Strain Largemouth Bass ever!
Them big ones are caught deep,....
I remember reading about that lake in Outdoor life or Field & Stream back in the Eighties.
There are some really huge bass to be caught around San-Diego, Southern California.
Striving for that 20lb plus monster lunker!!!
Just get a john boat that won't leak........... :lol:
jdogg420
Scout

Post by jdogg420 »

waffles, lol im not a big baller or im sure i would have a boat and 100 dollar swimbaits laying around. but im a broke shorebanger so i go cheap route and stay lightweight and mobile. there are guys here who only throw big baits. even when no trout plants. its not for me. though there is time an place for em. 90% of time i get there is after 10 am and leave before 4 pm. i did get a 8" castaic trout soft plastic swimbait but i dont like the way it swims. so i never take it out. and its snagfest so going super slow with it is a pain from shore at least. the biggest i throw right now on my light set up is a 1 oz savage gear glide bait. i do got a couple realistic lures too but to me i dont like to throw em since they cost like 25 or more dollars and easy to snag and lose it.
gas56, whatever you heard of castaic and its lagoon is in its past. i dont want to go into who i think has tried to kill this lake off but ya. from quagga mussels to low water constantly raising and lowering water to kill the bite ect taking away trout plants for 10 years. trying to take the lake away from the public. ect.
now dont get me wrong i lived here my full life what people dont understand about the hogs here. the guys who caught them fished here with a passion. after big ones were caught,(the lake is still probably one of the most pressured lakes in usa) many people sold everything, moved here bought everything. fished, skunked a lot, sold everything. then went back home.. its not easy by no means.
yes i target 25-30 feet deep always. anything caught shorter is usually dinks. and even lots of dinks holding 30 feet.
this spawn was garbage also. the water finally came in this year. they filled lake before spawn. right as i notice fish getting eggs. they lower lake 10-15 feet over a week span then put 20+ feet in over the next week. now they filled the lake so high they killed like 90% of the fishable shoreline.. lol do i want bigs yes im searching for a 12# +, ive seen multiple dds jump some at 2 am at lagoon a couple at main lake here and there. but ive even thrown in on a couple huge fish and they are picky sobs. literally . the bad thing i lost my biggest lmb at the lagoon one night before it got dark had a super long cast. hit instantly before i could set hook fish already full breaching and spitting my hook 20 yards. but truthfully a lot of my catches are throwing literally on top of these fish with drop shot.
of course other baits picked up during the spawn but that fun wont last long.
ps i am only a year into bass fishing here hardcore. i didnt fish here when i was younger when the hogs were everywhere and fishing was better. im in the 40 year aftermath of super pressured waters. the funny thing is here it shows how bad catch and release really is. striper fishing is on year round here(the fish everyone catch and eat). lmb fishing takes skill and patience and work to get your fish. (thanks catch and release...) one good thing. they started planting trout last season and this soo hopefully have big lunks again soon. though they dont plant them at the lagoon where one of the last big big fish was caught here. cya.
pss. the lagoon is still hot though because there is only a couple huge striper in there and no schools of striper. just a few bigs. almost every fish you catch at the lagoon will be a lmb. but see at the upper all i do is target for lmb and thats what i catch 90% of time. those stripers im sure i got just cuz they were close to shore for the trout too. usually they are chasing shad here. and to get em consistently from shore you need to bait and wait with cut bait. but i notice too on trout plants guys with big baits also get bigger stripers and not so much big lmbs. i still try to go low on those days though i got the ones in vid on the float and fly i was going 6 foot leader over a 10 foot ledge that had a few feet till a 20 foot ledge for a few feet to a 30 foot ledge. running close to those drop points. and it still took around 20 casts..
gas56
Outfitter

Post by gas56 »

Sorry to hear about Castaic lake.
I guess memories is all I have of a good thing with days gone by.
I've seen it happen on lakes where they've even been dried up and removed,
when once they were one of the best abundantly filled fisheries and with great water quality to boot.
Sometimes you just wonder what everyone is looking for without respect to what you've got?
Until a good thing disappears out of the equation.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”