Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
User avatar
gas56
Outfitter
Posts: 3878
Joined: April 4th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby gas56 » October 10th, 2017, 4:32 pm

@Officalwafflez
Nice bass you caught there!
What part of the country do you live?
It definitely looks like you're catching some big bass....ha ha ;)
User avatar
krokenosterfant
Scout
Posts: 353
Joined: November 20th, 2015, 5:29 am
Location: The 1st world of Africa

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby krokenosterfant » October 10th, 2017, 5:57 pm

Awesome bass officialwafflez. Bass fishing has always been an important part of my life, although I'm mainly a saltwater fisherman. Just to give you an idea of the bass fishing here, this was my 6th bass of between 9-10lb out of my farm dam. A colleague of mine from the USA did a study of the biology of bass here compared to the USA and found that the bass fishery here is on par if not better than in their native distribution
Image
User avatar
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter
Posts: 4052
Joined: May 2nd, 2015, 10:57 am

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby InstinctiveArcher » October 10th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Caught some nice salmon tonight. Lots of sorting though since they're starting to go downhill. Still got some good eaters.


So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men. - Maurice Thompson
User avatar
gas56
Outfitter
Posts: 3878
Joined: April 4th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby gas56 » October 11th, 2017, 6:29 am

krokenosterfant wrote:Awesome bass officialwafflez. Bass fishing has always been an important part of my life, although I'm mainly a saltwater fisherman. Just to give you an idea of the bass fishing here, this was my 6th bass of between 9-10lb out of my farm dam. A colleague of mine from the USA did a study of the biology of bass here compared to the USA and found that the bass fishery here is on par if not better than in their native distribution
Image

Nice Bass "Krokennosterfant" and weather is a real contributor to having big Largemouths.
Florida strain Bass as they are called in the south and were transplanted to Texas & California caused some huge largemouth Bass Records,
and even transplants to other countries have gotten World record fish taken like Japan.
Where I am from in Ohio there is northern strain Bass which can still get pretty good sized but not the size of the Florida Strain Bass.
So if a fisherman can catch a 9 or 10 pounder around here, that is a really good fish for the cold country of the north...... :D
Here's a couple of records for a northern strain Bass & a Florida strain Bass.
The Florida strain is a world record caught in Georgia.
Image
Image
Last edited by gas56 on October 11th, 2017, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
krokenosterfant
Scout
Posts: 353
Joined: November 20th, 2015, 5:29 am
Location: The 1st world of Africa

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby krokenosterfant » October 11th, 2017, 6:37 am

True gas56. My farm dam is stocked with Florida strain hence the bigger sizes compared to surrounding dams. But what Florida strain has for growth, northerns make up for with aggression. My bass were very shy, hardly ever got them on flashy noisy lures like poppers, buzzbaits and cranks, but a fluke, jig or similar more finese type lures worked like a charm. South Africa has great bass fishing but as one moves further north to Zimbabwe or Mozambique... that's where the next world record will come from
User avatar
gas56
Outfitter
Posts: 3878
Joined: April 4th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby gas56 » October 11th, 2017, 6:50 am

krokenosterfant wrote:True gas56. My farm dam is stocked with Florida strain hence the bigger sizes compared to surrounding dams. But what Florida strain has for growth, northerns make up for with aggression. My bass were very shy, hardly ever got them on flashy noisy lures like poppers, buzzbaits and cranks, but a fluke, jig or similar more finese type lures worked like a charm. South Africa has great bass fishing but as one moves further north to Zimbabwe or Mozambique... that's where the next world record will come from

Largemouth Bass can be very different at times in the north where fish will take poppers, buzzbaits and cranks and even big twister tail rubber worms zipping across top water, but here there are
the finesse times also, as I just fished last week using the slow and subtle approach and caught bass that way,.. but I don't think there is anything like when a bass that takes a top water lure which I really like how they do that..... :D Africa has all the right environment for a World record Bass, no doubt!

@InstinctiveArcher
Show us some pics, I'd like to see some of those fish.
User avatar
officialwafflez
Scout
Posts: 494
Joined: December 28th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby officialwafflez » October 14th, 2017, 10:34 pm

They will take aggressive baits in the south too. My lake is florida strain largemouth and I do very well on aggressive baits. But a jig is hard to beat
User avatar
officialwafflez
Scout
Posts: 494
Joined: December 28th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby officialwafflez » October 14th, 2017, 10:39 pm

gas56 wrote:@Officalwafflez
Nice bass you caught there!
What part of the country do you live?
It definitely looks like you're catching some big bass....ha ha ;)

Lake Chickamauga, southeast Tennessee
User avatar
RidgeBack69
Outfitter
Posts: 1330
Joined: December 6th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby RidgeBack69 » October 15th, 2017, 10:26 am

officialwafflez wrote:
gas56 wrote:@Officalwafflez
Nice bass you caught there!
What part of the country do you live?
It definitely looks like you're catching some big bass....ha ha ;)

Lake Chickamauga, southeast Tennessee


Tennessee has some amazing Bass Fisheries. I was down you're end of the country back in 2011 fishing the national championships on Nickajack lake. that was a good fishery also. But the BBQ was better.lol
User avatar
officialwafflez
Scout
Posts: 494
Joined: December 28th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Re: Fishing 2017, What are you catching?

Postby officialwafflez » October 15th, 2017, 1:35 pm

I haven't been on Nickajack in a while. I blanked my last tournament there so that about sums my opinion of that lake up. However the boat ride from dam to dam on nickajack is by far the most beautiful boat run i've ever been on. Especially in autumn when our tournament was last year.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest