2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
Valrag
Spotter

Re: 2017/2018

Post by Valrag »

i truely envy you guys... Bowhunting is forbidden here in germany :/
L3M182
Outfitter

Post by L3M182 »

and i truly envy you valag. most forms of hunting in the uk are throttled from the start. from firearms licences,lack of game and open seasons and all the qualifications you need for butchery and game handling. make it a small fortune before you even get out in the field. even then you need to know somone well enough to allow you to hunt on the land they own. public land and a firearm is 6 years minimum as a guest of her majesty
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Flinter wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:All you guys get to start early. I have to wait until October 1 :(
No, nothing really good on trail camera. One decent 6 pointer that I'll send an arrow towards if he comes out. Lots of my spots don't have cameras set up, so maybe there's a big one lurking out there somewhere. I'll be shooting the same bow I did last year, a 62 pound longbow but this year I'm trying some different broadheads. 200 grain Grizzlies. I've heard they are the ticket for busting through a shoulder blade should you hit it. I've been shooting them and they fly just like my practice points. Last year the deer won. This year something is going to get it.
When does your season start? Sep 30th here. So psyched :D
Would be nice to start on September 30 since that's my birthday, but I have to wait a full 24 hours until October 1st :lol: . I'm excited too. Been practicing everyday. Hung my stands, been running my trail cameras. Hopefully it's a good year. Good luck!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
paul2012
Tracker

Post by paul2012 »

Bow season opens up this Saturday for me, put in a bunch of work on my property this summer so hopefully it produces. Prob not gonna be hitting it hard until October when the rut kicks in though, I don't want them to pattern my hunting. Hopefully I can get a chance at that 14pt I saw last year, word is hes still around. Might try and record or even stream some of my hunts. My phone now allows for unlimited data $2 for a half hour session, I know twitch doesnt like you killing things on stream but its not like I can shoot my bow and hold my phone at the same time. 8-)
hunterPRO1
Outfitter

Post by hunterPRO1 »

went saturday, set up on a trail leading to a HUGE food plot, (7 acres or so)
had a doe come in to my right, being on my right i couldnt draw my bow so i had to hope she wouldnt see me and i could draw when my tree was between us.

at 5 yards or so she finally saw me, looked at me for a few seconds then ran, blew twice, after she blew i heard two other back in the woods 50-60 yards

had she taken a few more steps i couldve drawn and popped her when she appeared on the other side of the tree.
"you win some, you lose some, you wreck some."
Spoiler:
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Flinter wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:All you guys get to start early. I have to wait until October 1 :(
No, nothing really good on trail camera. One decent 6 pointer that I'll send an arrow towards if he comes out. Lots of my spots don't have cameras set up, so maybe there's a big one lurking out there somewhere. I'll be shooting the same bow I did last year, a 62 pound longbow but this year I'm trying some different broadheads. 200 grain Grizzlies. I've heard they are the ticket for busting through a shoulder blade should you hit it. I've been shooting them and they fly just like my practice points. Last year the deer won. This year something is going to get it.
When does your season start? Sep 30th here. So psyched :D
Would be nice to start on September 30 since that's my birthday, but I have to wait a full 24 hours until October 1st :lol: . I'm excited too. Been practicing everyday. Hung my stands, been running my trail cameras. Hopefully it's a good year. Good luck!
:lol: just imagine, I'll be sitting there in a tree the morning of the 30th, and you'll just be wishing 8-)
Anyway xD I have a little box stand right by a corn field and as it turns out, a raccoon took up residence in it over the summer and has been...well... taking many a dump in there. Can't beat natural cover scent :)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Flinter wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Flinter wrote: When does your season start? Sep 30th here. So psyched :D
:lol: just imagine, I'll be sitting there in a tree the morning of the 30th, and you'll just be wishing 8-)
Anyway xD I have a little box stand right by a corn field and as it turns out, a raccoon took up residence in it over the summer and has been...well... taking many a dump in there. Can't beat natural cover scent :)
Yeah whatever. You'll be sweating to death and I get to wait another day for it to cool off :lol:
Raccoon urine is great cover scent. Once I had a porcupine get into my blind. I let him stay one night since I didn't want to deal with all the quills.
What's your tackle setup? Good luck!

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Flinter wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote: Would be nice to start on September 30 since that's my birthday, but I have to wait a full 24 hours until October 1st :lol: . I'm excited too. Been practicing everyday. Hung my stands, been running my trail cameras. Hopefully it's a good year. Good luck!
Yeah whatever. You'll be sweating to death and I get to wait another day for it to cool off :lol:
Raccoon urine is great cover scent. Once I had a porcupine get into my blind. I let him stay one night since I didn't want to deal with all the quills.
Rolling with my Hoyt MT Sport at 70 lbs. Arrows are Wolverine Hunter brand I think, basically not the ones that are $15 per arrow :lol:
As for other equipment, nothing too special other than some dead down wind cover scent for early season :)
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Flinter wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Flinter wrote: :lol: just imagine, I'll be sitting there in a tree the morning of the 30th, and you'll just be wishing 8-)
Rolling with my Hoyt MT Sport at 70 lbs. Arrows are Wolverine Hunter brand I think, basically not the ones that are $15 per arrow :lol:
As for other equipment, nothing too special other than some dead down wind cover scent for early season :)
Nice. I need to take some lessons from you. I figured out what my arrows cost (not something I recommend you do :lol: ) and each of my hunting arrows including the broadhead cost 25 bucks and about 30 minutes in fletching the arrows and sharpening the heads.
You mentioned trying to film your hunts last year. Are you going to again this year? I'd be interested in seeing them :)

Flinter
Scout

Post by Flinter »

InstinctiveArcher wrote:
Flinter wrote:
InstinctiveArcher wrote: Yeah whatever. You'll be sweating to death and I get to wait another day for it to cool off :lol:
Nice. I need to take some lessons from you. I figured out what my arrows cost (not something I recommend you do :lol: ) and each of my hunting arrows including the broadhead cost 25 bucks and about 30 minutes in fletching the arrows and sharpening the heads.
You mentioned trying to film your hunts last year. Are you going to again this year? I'd be interested in seeing them :)
Lol, mine are a bit cheaper with the broadhead included. (That's a scary thought considering the arrows are the cheap part of all the gear I've acquired over the past 10 years :| )
As for filming my hunts, I still really would love to, but I don't have the equipment to do so and college textbooks are expensive enough these days =/
I would probably invest in some of the equipment this year, maybe a camera arm and a decent camera (was wanting to get a tactacam as well to be sure I had the deer in frame in at least one camera) but I really don't get many opportunities and to blow one by moving to much trying to get the deer on film would probably cost me a deer as I'm not even sure I'll get 3 opportunities to go along with my 3 tags.
That said. I might still at least get the camera. Tactacam probably not this year, but maybe next year. I still haven't decided lol. I'm sitting here going back and forth on what I want to do as I type this

Return to “The Great Outdoors”