2017/2018

Discussions, Stories, Hints & Tips about everything outdoors. Biking, Hiking, Fishing, Shooting, Camping etc.
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 2017/2018

Post by TreeKiwi »

We could start a go fund me account for you Flint. I would like to see you hunting videos! How much are we talking?
officialwafflez
Hunter

Post by officialwafflez »

Been awhile, but season starts in 3 days here. Bucks just lost velvet and we just got some new camera gear. It's about to get real.
ingame name is BryanTheHunter
baloo.the.dog
Hunter

Post by baloo.the.dog »

Deer hunting to me is over-rated, especially rifle season. Bow hunting and gun hunting for deer just seem to boring to me. All you do is climb up a tree, sit in your stand, and wait, and wait, and wait .....and wait. It does however become very exciting when you see one and your heart starts racing but just doesn't seem worth it with stands, blinds, shooting houses, trail cams, feeders, food plots, etc. Bow hunting is challenging to aim but gun season is just point.. aim.. shoot. The only reason I choose waterfowl/small game is their is a challenge to hitting the animal, unlike a standing deer. Can't wait til November and I can get to them water-birds! What makes y'all so excited for deer season?
Give us ptarmigans on Whiterime Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roll Tide!!
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

I recently put out some corn and a trail cam today and it looks like a job for Mr. Drilling:

- Doves
- Badgers
- Foxes
- Boar of varying shapes, colors and sizes
- A lone Roe buck
- A damn TON of Jay (Not allowed to hunt them, though)

Really looking forward to hunt again.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.
Fletchette
Trophy Hunter

Post by Fletchette »

baloo.the.dog wrote:Deer hunting to me is over-rated, especially rifle season. Bow hunting and gun hunting for deer just seem to boring to me. All you do is climb up a tree, sit in your stand, and wait, and wait, and wait .....and wait. It does however become very exciting when you see one and your heart starts racing but just doesn't seem worth it with stands, blinds, shooting houses, trail cams, feeders, food plots, etc. Bow hunting is challenging to aim but gun season is just point.. aim.. shoot. The only reason I choose waterfowl/small game is their is a challenge to hitting the animal, unlike a standing deer. Can't wait til November and I can get to them water-birds! What makes y'all so excited for deer season?
You seem to believe the only way people hunt deer is from a stand or blind....Not true at all. I'm headed to central Montana again in a few weeks, and I've never even seen someone use a stand there. It's mostly glass and stalk, probably because there aren't many trees. Most years I also hunt in Iowa, and there we mainly do drives, with about 1/2 of the deer being taken by the drivers (pushers). Here is Missouri I usually hunt from a stand, but in recent years I've been doing more stalking and frankly my success rate is just as high as stand hunting is.
Personal Bests...
Hawkeye
Outfitter

Post by Hawkeye »

Fletchette wrote:
baloo.the.dog wrote:Deer hunting to me is over-rated, especially rifle season. Bow hunting and gun hunting for deer just seem to boring to me. All you do is climb up a tree, sit in your stand, and wait, and wait, and wait .....and wait. It does however become very exciting when you see one and your heart starts racing but just doesn't seem worth it with stands, blinds, shooting houses, trail cams, feeders, food plots, etc. Bow hunting is challenging to aim but gun season is just point.. aim.. shoot. The only reason I choose waterfowl/small game is their is a challenge to hitting the animal, unlike a standing deer. Can't wait til November and I can get to them water-birds! What makes y'all so excited for deer season?
You seem to believe the only way people hunt deer is from a stand or blind....Not true at all. I'm headed to central Montana again in a few weeks, and I've never even seen someone use a stand there. It's mostly glass and stalk, probably because there aren't many trees. Most years I also hunt in Iowa, and there we mainly do drives, with about 1/2 of the deer being taken by the drivers (pushers). Here is Missouri I usually hunt from a stand, but in recent years I've been doing more stalking and frankly my success rate is just as high as stand hunting is.
Similar to West Texas mesquite country. You couldn't put a stand in those of you wanted to
TreeKiwi
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by TreeKiwi »

Yeah nobody uses stands in New Zealand... apart from blinds.... for bird hunting hahahaha.

Also shooting deer in thick bush is still pretty challenging at times!
Flinter
Scout

Re: RE: Re: 2017/2018

Post by Flinter »

I think it depends where you deer hunt as well. Where I hunt, I'm lucky if I get enough opportunities to fill my tags each year. I think getting a mature buck in bow range is the ultimate challenge, making the shot is the easy part (it's still not easy when you are shaking like a leaf) and all the waiting is one hell of a test of patience and willpower. I wouldn't give up a day of deer hunting for anything
InstinctiveArcher
Outfitter

Post by InstinctiveArcher »

Wow, I must be a really terrible hunter since I've missed deer with a gun. You seem to think that deer hunting is just going out and shooting a deer. Simple as that, boring, etc. People get excited about deer hunting because of all the effort that goes into it which makes success that much more satisfying. I agree with Flinter, I would take a day of deer hunting over anything else every day of the week. The challenge in bird hunting is being able to shoot. The challenge in deer hunting is being able to outsmart the animal. Anyone can learn to shoot. Not everyone can learn out to outthink a deer. ;)

In hunting, impossible doesn't exist any more than a sure thing does. - Tom Miranda
MooseHunter330
Outfitter

Post by MooseHunter330 »

I would say, that bird hunting is definetely more "fun". I guess I am just more comfortable with a shotgun.
Hunting big game, like deer, gives you a lot more of really beautiful and interesting moments in nature.
What makes deer hunting interesting to me is the responsibility to mold and nurture your population of deer to be the healthiest they can be.
Spends all the gold and money to buy new weapons in the shape of guns.

Return to “The Great Outdoors”